Login

The future of Nebula

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: The future of Nebula

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 pm

I already have a small app that switch between 1 kernels-frequ mode/full kernels-time mode in one click for the whole session.

Now, that's interesting! Mac or PC? Possible to share? :D
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:04 am

it will be possible in nebula4. Anyway this is a strange requirement... you was speaking about other companies: before timed they should release freqd!! so who cares about fpga?
again: fpga solution IS expensive. It is an hardware solution, and like all hardware solutions it can't be cheap. There is not a market demand... and after all you are tied to a closed solution and you cant upgrade or scale easily. Why nosql had so much space? because you add a node and it scales. You dont have to buy everything from the scratch. Do you need more power? just add nodes. Musicians are migrating to tablets and cloud solutions, not toward heavy racks of impossible hardware. A small percentage is still interested in real consoles.. but please compare costs there (and palette size), and how they scale. You bought an alexb in 2010, today your pc is around 16 time faster.
I'm not saying that fpga is not useful... but it had its chance time ago and really it is a thing from the past. I was using them 15 years ago! Just compare current fpga solutions with native ones and you'll have a clear picture. Today even intel is outdated, the world is speaking arm.
A side node, a cloud solution is maybe for 1 pc of our userbase. Most of them just need a multiband eq with a better quality than the stock plugin and a nice price
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby kels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 am

Today even intel is outdated, the world is speaking arm.

I know for arm and I kindly asked for but was told ( not so kindly) that you are not considering it either so, ...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27573&p=63618&hilit=arm#p63618

Thank for the rest, I better understand now what's the future of Nebula.

yes , sure :)

pc for now. it's a simple app that allows to :
- switch 1 kernels-frequ mode/full kernels-time mode per program folder.
- switch the SCANBOOT tag 0 to 1 and back on a number of different Nebula XML for fast loading of sessions.

Work only on my system for now (fixed datapaths) but I will improve it and make it available to everyone.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am

kels wrote:
Today even intel is outdated, the world is speaking arm.

I know for arm and I kindly asked for but was told ( not so kindly) that you are not considering it either so, ...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27573&p=63618&hilit=arm#p63618

Thank for the rest, I better understand now what's the future of Nebula.

yes , sure :)

pc for now. it's a simple app that allows to :
- switch 1 kernels-frequ mode/full kernels-time mode per program folder.
- switch the SCANBOOT tag 0 to 1 and back on a number of different Nebula XML for fast loading of sessions.

Work only on my system for now (fixed datapaths) but I will improve it and make it available to everyone.

mmh maybe there is a language barrier there. Other thing, arm is not planned for this year but we are moving in that direction. It is not urgent, though, and it is simply a matter of rewriting the asm code class, since intel library wad already released for arm and we dont have further dipendancies. Im currently already writing other applications for arm, it's pretty straightforward
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jkervin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:57 pm

I've only (relatively) recently started using Nebula and have become a huge fan. I actually like the interface and don't think the workflow is as bad as some others say. It's worth putting in a little extra effort for the sound you get back. I do use plenty of algo based plug ins too, and some are really brilliant sounding - but Nebula to me still adds something extra. Also - the 3rd party libraries are so inexpensive! Forget about the money that you're saving on hardware (and I do use hardware) - the libraries are much, much cheaper than the algo ones that I prefer. Not to mention a super helpful community.

I'm really optimistic about the future here. I'll admit that I'm antsy for V4 - but things like this will be worth waiting for. I record at home for fun, with no deadlines to meet - but even if, especially if, I were mixing for clients I'd be using Nebula.
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby kels » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 am

Other thing, arm is not planned for this year but we are moving in that direction.

Those are incredible good news Giancarlo. I don't want to dig in deep details here as it could be a bit boring for other users ... but this is definitely good news.

about the language barrier, you could have misunderstood me, yes. I'm not complaining about anything as I do not agree with the OP on most points - I'm only looking for a way to improve my Nebula experience. If you read all my previous posts about CUDA and Tesla, you'll know what I mean.

keep up the good mork man :) I'm sure the future of Nebula will be bright and clear.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm glad to see my post didn't stir up major flaming. I wonder why users who are just like me don't agree with my comments but I accept it.

I jumped on the Nebula band wagon and got many friends and colleagues on board and now everyone's pissed off because there still isn't a 64 bit MAC version available.

I'll be the first one to be happy about it if there is a major new release (in 64 bit) and its free to existing customers.
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Well, gege method about 64bit AU works VERY well. The difference is HUUUGE) U should try it)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Well, gege method about 64bit AU works VERY well. The difference is HUUUGE) U should try it)

Do you mean the server method? Please elaborate.
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby sneaky » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am

im optimistic about the future. I see slow,measured and constant improvements & expect it to continue but I understand the question.. :P
sneaky

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula