Login

Q-Clone together with Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Q-Clone together with Nebula?

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi! I just wonder what's the "deal" with q-clone? I see that Henry has made some presets and obviously uses this in his music production. But is this about workflow or what? AFAIK Q-clone can't give the 3D depth etc like Nebula EQ's. So I just wonder if anybody here uses it, and what are the advantages? I see that it goes for $49 at the moment.

Yes, I could ask Henry directly, but I reckon he's a very busy man at the moment...!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Q-Clone together with Nebula?

Postby jorismak » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am

Henry uses it just as you say AFAIK: For example to get the exact same EQ curves as his console eq-section would. So yeah, it skips all the analog goodness Nebula captures, but he has his 'mojo' stuff for that (one simple static capture that captures the gear, Q-clone for the EQ-curves).

Since Q-clone is a bit like an IR capture to me (can it even do reverbs?) I never saw a good use for it.
jorismak

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Right. Hm, so I reckon I could use my Alloy2 together with some mojo libs from Henry, and get the same results? If Alloy can recreate the different curves of those different EQs, perhaps that's the whole point?!

Thanks for chiming in on this, jorismak!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby grabie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm

:geek:
thumbs up for (connection to) info about q-clone (is it worth the investment?)
and its use with nebula-presets.
8-)
also for info about the use of MOJO-presets, what are those for?
I do not really dig the principle, thumbs up, anyway :!:
:oops: a step by step guide for pertinacious ignorants like me would be fair :|
rme hdsp 9632 - i5 3570k - 16 gb ram - HD 7700 - 8.1 x64
grabie
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby jorismak » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Mojo is what henry calls Nebula-libraries without any configuration options.

For example: Instead of capturing a compressor (at which nebula _can_ be bad) with all the knobs at all the different positions, he makes one library that captures the magic some popular plugins are missing.
That way you can add the mojo-library, and then the popular plugin to get 'a best of both worlds' hopefully. The analog magic from nebula, the easy in mixing / setting up a good VST plugin of the same processor.
jorismak

Postby grabie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanx, response appreciated. So, just to catch the intention.
I kind-a polish the sound with a mojo-preset,
before I squeeze it thru that ordinary plugin.
:ugeek:
Experienced commentators of this behaviour are still welcome.
I am going to try this soon. Maybe we can share knowledge.
:shock:
So that "q-clone" is just a similar technique like nebula,
but limited to catch impulse-responses only from equalizers.
Some like the simple, comfortable handling, to catch/use there outboard gear.
Some fell disappointed by a condescending behaviour of a capitalistic company.
(reading in forums)
8-)
Correction and clarification welcome.
rme hdsp 9632 - i5 3570k - 16 gb ram - HD 7700 - 8.1 x64
grabie
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby guitarman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:33 pm

q clone is unbeatable as regards the sampling of equalizers
http://damyfx.altervista.org/q-clone-library.html
guitarman
User Level III
User Level III

Postby jorismak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 am

not more or less than using (convolution) impulses, for which there are free alternatives, a lot of DAWs even have a bundled plug for it.

Programs for making the impulses are most of the time not free. But if I wanted to sell q-clone presets I can only sell to people which have bought it somehow.

If I sell impulse responses basically 99% of all audio programs can use them with free plugins.
Thats what I don't get about q-clone. It seems outdated and too proprietary compared to impulses.
Nebula is also proprietary and a limited audience, but it delivers something nothing else can, so it's OK :).
jorismak

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am

guitarman wrote:q clone is unbeatable as regards the sampling of equalizers
http://damyfx.altervista.org/q-clone-library.html

why unbeatable? we have hundreds of sampled eq composed each one by hundreds or even thousands of single captures. Our library is amazingly bigger, and it features dynamic and/or harmonic distortion in most of times
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am

jorismak wrote:not more or less than using (convolution) impulses, for which there are free alternatives, a lot of DAWs even have a bundled plug for it.

Programs for making the impulses are most of the time not free. But if I wanted to sell q-clone presets I can only sell to people which have bought it somehow.

If I sell impulse responses basically 99% of all audio programs can use them with free plugins.
Thats what I don't get about q-clone. It seems outdated and too proprietary compared to impulses.
Nebula is also proprietary and a limited audience, but it delivers something nothing else can, so it's OK :).

we'll try to open our engine as much as possible.
There is a trade-off between our need of money (resources for our developements) and disclosed tools and infos. Being a niche market we can't live just opensourcing it, but we'll try to improve even this side. At the moment our c++ and sknned engines are FREE (so freemium) for developing FREE tools, so if you dont go commercial you could embed our engine in your plugin without paying anything
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Working with Nebula