Login

From Cubase to Reaper, fxchains, batch processing?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

From Cubase to Reaper, fxchains, batch processing?

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:52 am

Hi!
I'm an old Cubase user and trying to get my head around Reaper.
I've made some track presets in Cubase consisting of a chain of different Nebula "stuff", like preamps, console, tape etc. But in Cubase I have to render each and every track, because each track preset is quite demanding on my cpu - and then it takes ages...!

I've read about batch processing in Reaper. But how is your work flow?

I have 8 different track presets (based on the different inputs in CLC (AlexB) console). If I make the same "presets" in Reaper - hence as fxchains, is it possible in Reaper to assign those 8 fxchains to 8 different tracks, and send them to batch processing, hit enter and take a break of 20 minutes and come back to 8 "nebulized" tracks?

Thanks in advance!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: From Cubase to Reaper, fxchains, batch processing?

Postby richie43 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:31 am

You probably can achieve that, but not how you expect. Batch processing in Reaper is a process unique to itself, the fx are not on a track. The fx are loaded into an fx chain in the batch processing and the audio is assigned, but the fx are not loaded onto the tracks. Having Reaper batch process different tracks with different chains automatically MIGHT be possible using what are called scripts, but I am not a script writer. I use batch processing extensively, but not automatically with scripts. If you are not registered on the Reaper forum yet, go do that. There are some super smart and helpful folks there, and many of them can start teaching you about the mysteries of scripts. PM me if you need some more detailed help. You should also go get the free Reaper PDF manual, you'll want that!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 pm

OK, thanks richie43! I'll send you a pm then, and post over at the Reaper forum. Hopefully someone can find a clever and effecient way to accomplish this? :D

Yes, I'll check out the Reaper manual too.

Best
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sfabs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi

I know this is an older post but I was curious to see how the author was getting on with reaper since moving from Cubase?

I am a Cubase user but notice so many experienced Nebula users choosing Reaper as their DAW.

I was wondering if the workflow is better/ easier/ quicker in Reaper?

How has the Author got on since leaving Cubase behind? what are his likes and advantages he has found in Reaper... and do you miss anything from Cubase??
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:24 pm

I was wondering if the workflow is better/ easier/ quicker in Reaper?

How has the Author got on since leaving Cubase behind? what are his likes and advantages he has found in Reaper... and do you miss anything from Cubase??

Hi, sfabs!
To be honest, I'm still working on my workflow! Just right now I'm working with NebulaMan from Zabukowski, and the goal is to come up with some useful rendering templates.

From my experience I really like some of Reaper's advantages regarding plugin chains, the search function for plugins and the possibility to make a folder with your handpicked plugins - really saves a lot of time.

And if you're not familiar with Reaper, there are a lot of very nice looking skins, and also some that imitate Cubase, so you can feel quite familiar from day one..! And Reaper is very tweakable - you can of course "transfer" all your short cuts that you're using in Cubase etc.

I haven't abandoned Cubase or left it behind, I think there are some very nice features in Cubase like quantizing multitrack drums, pitch-editing etc. But Reaper is very powerful, and I think there are very similar features under the "hood", but I haven't dwelved that deep yet!

But at the end of the day, it all comes down to put in a lot of hours to learn the different colors of Nebula libs. Learn how different tape sounds on different instruments etc. From what I know, there is no quick way to put out excellent mixes, although Nebula is very powerful. And I don't think the DAW is important. I think AlexB uses Samplitude, if I remember correctly!

I reckon most here are going through some "Nebula phases" where we put Nebula on every track and use a lot of tape, consoles etc, etc. And after a while when one learn the different colors, it's OK to combine algo and Nebula, use fewer instances of Nebula and perhaps only on the drums and vocals etc. And the next mix, do the opposite if that's what it takes :D

Well, a lot of words - hopefully some useful...!

PS: If you want to learn Reaper, I will reccommend using http://www.groove3.com - Kenny Gioia has made several tutorials and they're very good!

Cheers
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Support » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 pm

PS: If you want to learn Reaper, I will reccommend using http://www.groove3.com - Kenny Gioia has made several tutorials and they're very good!

+1
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 pm

I normally put Nebula on my tracks, then select the tracks I want to 'batch' and right click and hit 'render/freeze tracks' -> 'render tracks to mono stem tracks (and mute original)'.

(Or use the stereo option if you have stereo content on your channels of course).

Reaper creates a new track and 'freezes / bounces' the applied FX (all of them, also non-Nebula VSTs) into the new track. The old track is then muted (muting causes the plugins to NOT run and take CPU).

If you saved your project before hand, Reaper should be default put the new stem tracks in the same folder as your project file. The sampling rate is the sampling rate of your project, and it should pick .wav with 32-bit floating point per default (I think) but you can change that in your project properties to use whatever format you want.

There is also the option in 'File' -> 'Batch file/item converter' but as has said here before, it doesn't work on tracks, but it works on files. And is kinda tricky to render different contents per 'track' since you gotta know which files want to use which FX, etc...

So, that's why I still use the 'render to stem track' option. As I create 30+ tracks with lots of Nebula on them my system becomes very sluggish, but muting a channel causes the plugins to be paused, freeing up CPU. So once I know a track is OK, I mute it, and go to the next track. In the end I have all my tracks (still muted) with the Nebula and other plugins on them as I want, and then select them all and hit 'render to stem track'. Don't worry that your original tracks are muted, they still freeze/bounce OK.

Also important: Don't worry if the meters during freezing don't seem right -> this is intended behaviour (and freezing muted tracks will often show you NO vu-activity during bounce, this is OK). The result will be OK.

A little trick I do after all is bounced: Go inside the _old_ tracks FX window (with the plugins on them), select the plugins and hit ctrl-alt-b (or right click and click 'toggle selected FX offline', NOT the bypass option). This really unloads the plugin, and on the next time you load your project, the plugins don't have to be loaded directly, making your project load much faster. If you ever want to know what you did to the source, you can put the plugins back 'online' and they will be loaded with the settings.
This way you keep your FX inside your project that you used to freeze/bounce, but the plugins don't get loaded every time you load the project. Move the old muted tracks out of the way (or in a separate track-folder which you collapse so it doesn't take up screen-space) and you can happily start mixing with the new stem-tracks. It's a nic1e compromise between committing and going forward and 'I want to keep the settings I used in there all the time' I think.
jorismak

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Wow! Great post, jorismak! Lots of useful info there. I'm going to try this and see if it can enhance my workflow. Thanks :D
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sfabs » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 am

Support wrote:A little trick I do after all is bounced: Go inside the _old_ tracks FX window (with the plugins on them), select the plugins and hit ctrl-alt-b (or right click and click 'toggle selected FX offline', NOT the bypass option). This really unloads the plugin, and on the next time you load your project, the plugins don't have to be loaded directly, making your project load much faster. If you ever want to know what you did to the source, you can put the plugins back 'online' and they will be loaded with the settings.
This way you keep your FX inside your project that you used to freeze/bounce, but the plugins don't get loaded every time you load the project. Move the old muted tracks out of the way (or in a separate track-folder which you collapse so it doesn't take up screen-space) and you can happily start mixing with the new stem-tracks. It's a nic1e compromise between committing and going forward and 'I want to keep the settings I used in there all the time' I think.

That is a great option!!! right now i'd kill for Cubase to be able to do that!!! Cubase cant do that... right!?
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am

I like learning something new ... like this :D

I had no idea of Reaper's 'off-line' mode. Gonna try this on one of my projects. I have a fx chain with a bunch of GeQ's on it that takes minutes to load [converting from 96->44.1]. this will be the one to test.

Thanks for the tip !
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Working with Nebula