Login

Problem with new version 1.3.6

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Problem with new version 1.3.6

Postby LowLines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:48 am

Hi,

I am having issues with Nebula since the upgrade to 1.3.6.

I'm trying to figure it out for quite some time now but can't solve the problem yet.

I work on: Ableton, 64 Bit, windows 7.

So i make a project in Ableton. I use a setup which i made with setups 2. Compressors setup. i have two compressors in this project. Then i save the project and when i reopen the project for the second time both the compressors have changed to a different setup called Amps setup and it is now 1.3.5 again. no more compressors in the setup.

It only happens with the customized plugins not the standard plugin.

I dont want to delete the old 1.3.5 setups because they used in old projects. Which i find quite a handicap.

I put my xml file here...
Attachments
Compressors 2.xml
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
LowLines
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Problem with new version 1.3.6

Postby jorismak » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 am

In the XML files from nebula (the XML files together with the .DLL files under Windows anyway) is a 'magic' setting. This number basically tells the DAW what plugin it is.

So if you have two XML files in that dir with the same magic numbers, Live gets confused which is which and starts mixing them up.

So make sure those 'magic' numbers are not the same (you can just increase one by one from the ones you have I believe).
jorismak

Postby LowLines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks Joris,

It seem u are pointing in the right direction, i tried to change the numbers in the magic setting to 4628, 4629 and 4630.

But then the compressors setup isn't found anymore. The weird thing is that i have a console setups also with the magic 4627 number and this does not seem to have the same issue. it just reloads fine. is there other identification info in the XML file?

Is there a way to reset this so i get a new XML file? I copied the XML from my 1.3.5 version because i had previous problems with loading 1.3.6 which seemed to be caused by the empty XML shipped with the 1.3.6 version... I got it to work by copy the XML from 1.3.5 to 1.3.6. which i stil found a little weird. because i expekted that my old 1.3.5. setup files would be updated to the new version. But no i got a new plugin version apart from the 1.3.5.
LowLines
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jorismak » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 pm

The recent installers for 1.3.602 (and I guess the upgraders as well) install proper XML files and no duplicates anymore. You can always make a copy of the files you have, delete them, install latest nebula (remember to install your license after a setup. Setup clears license, upgrade doesn't) and then recreate your special verions based on the new XML files.

I know there was a thing where the names have to differ enough, or at least differ before the first 9 characters or something. But IIRC, that was a Cubase specific bug.
It might be a good idea to make sure you _completely_ rescan your VSTs from Live. Most DAWs have a 'normal scan' and a 'rescan all' or something like that. 'Clear blacklist', 'clear vst cache' or something like that. It's called different in every other software, but just make sure you completely rescan your entire VST folder.

And btw, it's just weird stuff with this. My Reaper also did it OK. When I was working on Studio One at my work all my different nebula versions would show up, but refuse to be inserted on a track except the official Nebula versions. After two days it suddenly worked.
jorismak

Postby LowLines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Ok, i guess i should try that.

Thing is that i am afraid that old projects won't load the settings which i put on them and i ruin all of that work.

So just to be sure:

I copy the complete acustica vst folder to a safe location.

Then i delete the plugins from 1.3.6 and the setups i made for 1.3.5.

Then i reinstall .3602 and run my license.

Then i make new setups with the new core .3602 file and name them precisely as the previous 1.3.5 versions.

My old projects will load the new version with all settings i made in the old versions.

If it not works i copy back the old acustica vst back up and it works like it always did?
LowLines
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jorismak » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:21 pm

yes, as long as you make a copy of your VST folder (acustica vst folder) you can always set it back. It might require a VST-rescan from your DAW but it should be fine.

And honestly I have no idea what Live will store in its project files. Some do only magic number, some do filename of the VST plugin, some might request a 'what plugin are you' type of identification they request from the DLL (where you have no control over).. just try it, it's all I can say.

It might be a good idea to search around for Ableton-specific topics here, there might be other weird things with that DAW that I don't know about since I don't use it.
jorismak

Postby LowLines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok, that worked. everything updated now to 1.3.602 and seems to load old projects too, so thats a relief.

Many thanks for your help!!
LowLines
User Level I
User Level I

Postby zabukowski » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Glad you've sorted it out :)

General rule is, that as long plugin's id (magic) and dll/xml files stay the same with the upgrade, there shouln't be any issues. I guess, in your case, Live somehow got confused, so rescaning & rebuilding setups fixed it.

To my knowledge, majority of hosts even don't use plugin id's for plugin identification.

Happy 2014 :)
Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula