Login

Compressor Attack & Release Modification

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Compressor Attack & Release Modification

Postby mmarra » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to modify and/or add different attack and release times to an existing compressor program?

One of the compressors I have has too fast of an attack time and slow release time options as I would like to use it on some of the masters I do.

Thank you,
Mike
mmarra
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Compressor Attack & Release Modification

Postby richie43 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 pm

I don't know of any, but if it is possible, some of the more tweak-savvy folks are sure to let you know. I do know that if it is possible, you are likely to also get other behavior that is not intended, since you will be modding the preset to be something that it is not. Which compressor are you trying to modify? Have you looked at other libraries that may be better suited to your needs as-is?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Gemini Audio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:18 am

There's not much you can do with a finished preset. For the development of the KultComp i used a trick for extended times, but it had to be done at the sampling stage. As a result it has 0.1ms to 980ms attack and 0.03 seconds to 5 seconds release.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mmarra » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Thank you for the responses as that is what thought but just wanted to ask. The compressor I like to use on some masters is the AITB Fate as once in a while when working ITB it has a really nice vibe to it but feel the attack & release make it hard to use as a comp during mastering.

I might try the KultComp by Gemini as I liked to use the N**e on hip-hop/rnb masters to give them some weight.
mmarra
User Level V
User Level V

Return to Working with Nebula