Login

Confused about Nebula..

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Confused about Nebula..

Postby gonwild » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 am

Okey, so I decided to try out Nebula and got the bundle version of Nebula 3 somdays ago. It took me a while to figure out how to get it registered, but I think I got that sorted out now. (On the MAST page it says REGISTERED: CUSTOMER)

So to try it out I download the EQ pack and a PRE-amps pack from the library. I load up nebula on a track, add a pre-amp...and nothing..I see the meters moving and all when I hit play, but moving the sliders..I hear no difference. In any case its VERY subtle. This goes for all the preamps...I tried a bunch, and cant hear em making any difference to the sound. Am I doing something wrong?

As for the EQs, I am able to provoke a change in the sound by raising the Gain-slider...but after a few seconds of play, all these weird artifacts start to pollute the sound. I have plenty of CPU and RAM overhead avaliable when this happens. In fact no CPU peaks at all...

I run Windows 7 x64 and my host is Sonar x1 x64.
gonwild
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Confused about Nebula..

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Don't forget about gainstaging. Is your level of audio correct? This may cause spikes.
About preamps - in real life do you hear difference between BAE N**e 1073 and A*I? I doubt it. Want some character - try different libraries. I have some Henry Olonga MOJOs and CLEARLY hear the difference))
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby gonwild » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi - I do believe my audio levels are OK. I get no clipping if thats what you're thinking about. I'm not expecting much difference in the preamps..but I expect to hear something..like added warmth maybe. Flicking through the bunch there was no difference in sound all, so I was wondering if I've missed something in the setup.

By the way...will the regular Nebula Bundle work OK with my setup? (Win x64, DAW: sonar x1 x64)? Recall reading something about only the PRO version supporting x64 DAW's ...read this after purchace of course :-P
gonwild
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Are u sure about levels? It must be 0dBu - not 0 dBFS.

AFAIK - you can use bridged 32bit plugins. If Sonar support this.

And about preamps - go get AlexB Preamp and Color suite maybe. And try Henry Olonga stuff. More than that - as i noticed, after placing different preamps - next effects responding differently. Compressor for example. Try to experiment with this.
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby gonwild » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:47 pm

okey I have double checked the levels and it seems you are right :oops: This plugin is very sensitive on the input it seems.. oh well

I still have a question about the MAST page. Downloaded a guitar-CAB library that tells me to adjust some settings in the MAST page, but I cannot find any of the settings there. How do I check if I have it registered properly?
The MAST page says REGISTERED:CUSTOMER... ?

thank you for your help so far!!
gonwild
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:35 pm

gonwild wrote:okey I have double checked the levels and it seems you are right :oops: This plugin is very sensitive on the input it seems.. oh well

I still have a question about the MAST page. Downloaded a guitar-CAB library that tells me to adjust some settings in the MAST page, but I cannot find any of the settings there. How do I check if I have it registered properly?
The MAST page says REGISTERED:CUSTOMER... ?

thank you for your help so far!!

Enable GURU mode in MAST page.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby gonwild » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Thank you! :-)
gonwild
User Level I
User Level I

Postby mathias » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 am

as you were experiencing stuttering in the playback,
set the dsp buffer to higher levels and experiment with that.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby gonwild » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 am

mathias wrote:as you were experiencing stuttering in the playback,
set the dsp buffer to higher levels and experiment with that.

will try that one as well. But I also think my input levels were too high. -12db on the input knob solved much of it :-)thanks!
gonwild
User Level I
User Level I

Postby musicgreator » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 am

For more obvious preamp style nebula presets and for adding a lot of warmth, check out the driven audio demos of G610, NVE PRE 73 and KultComp Tube at gemini-audio.net.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to Working with Nebula