Login

Nebula suddenly loading slowly

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula suddenly loading slowly

Postby garyk_123 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 am

Can anyone help? A couple of weeks ago my Nebula installation suddenly started loading really slowly, both in loading the Nebula instance to the init and even worse loading programs. About 1 minute and 3 minutes respectively. Used to be a few seconds.

I'm not exactly sure when it happened, perhaps upgrading to .600? I also made my own Tim Petherick NC compressor but I highly doubt that's it.

I'm really frustrated because its taking 30 mins plus to load a project which are now all crashing in Cubase 6.5. I basically can't work and don't know how to downgrade if that's necessary.

Please help!

thanks
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Nebula suddenly loading slowly

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:08 am

Did you make any changes on your system (Nebula or other) right before this started happening?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby garyk_123 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:51 am

Hi Richie,

Apart from the changes I mentioned, everything else has remained the same.

I found a post by Enrique in the thread "Why can't I get nebula to work properly" about deleting all xml files in the temp folder and the scanboot xml in the
setups folder and moving all the p and v files around. I did that and it improved the loading of presets into Nebula quite well, but the initial instantiation of each Nebula instance still remains a pig. So I found the main Nebula Reverb xml and set the scanboot to 0 as another poster recommended. It improved loading fantastically but all my presets were gone. So I erstored scanboot value 1. My presets came back but Nebula instaniations were even slower!

Bleah.
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:25 am

Have you tried raising the dsp buffer in the xml? I use a very high buffer, which will decrease the CPU load but cause big latency. But latency is no big deal for me because I don't use Nebula tracking anyway, just at mix phase. Have you installed more libraries, maybe? More presets will make load times slower.... Just throwing ideas at you.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby swartzfeger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:59 am

richie43 wrote:Have you tried raising the dsp buffer in the xml? I use a very high buffer, which will decrease the CPU load but cause big latency. But latency is no big deal for me because I don't use Nebula tracking anyway, just at mix phase. Have you installed more libraries, maybe? More presets will make load times slower.... Just throwing ideas at you.

would that be the <WORKBUFFER> tag?
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:49 am

Nope. DSPBUFFER.....lol. (I tried to upload an image, but the website won't let me for some reason)That's what I said. Play with that a little. I have seen some systems actually do better at specific settings (in increments of 128, like measuring RAM), but not always "higher is better". You can also adjust this right from Nebula in the MAST page.

EDIT-
Now it will

Goofy website.....
Attachments
DSPBUFFER.png
DSPBUFFER.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 945 times
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby swartzfeger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 pm

richie43 wrote:Nope. DSPBUFFER.....lol. (I tried to upload an image, but the website won't let me for some reason)That's what I said. Play with that a little. I have seen some systems actually do better at specific settings (in increments of 128, like measuring RAM), but not always "higher is better". You can also adjust this right from Nebula in the MAST page.

EDIT-
Now it will

Goofy website.....

I realize that's what you had said. I only asked about the workbuffer because the XML I opened didn't have a DSPBUFFER tag, it only had a WORKBUFFER tag.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Are you opening the xml that goes with the Nebula.dll or NebulaReverb.dll? This is wherever your vst's are, not the installer xml and not the server dll. You may need to load an instance first if this is a new installation. But there needs to be a DSPBUFFER setting, something is very amiss if it doesn't have one at all. It has to operate with some kind of buffer setting. Or just look on the MAST page on a Nebula instance (without a preset loaded). If you can not see an option to look at the MAST page, you have it in "simple" mode and must change it to "guru" mode.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby swartzfeger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:05 pm

richie43 wrote:Are you opening the xml that goes with the Nebula.dll or NebulaReverb.dll? This is wherever your vst's are, not the installer xml and not the server dll. You may need to load an instance first if this is a new installation. But there needs to be a DSPBUFFER setting, something is very amiss if it doesn't have one at all. It has to operate with some kind of buffer setting. Or just look on the MAST page on a Nebula instance (without a preset loaded). If you can not see an option to look at the MAST page, you have it in "simple" mode and must change it to "guru" mode.

Thanks richie, just realized after posting that the regular xml file has the DSPBUFFER, but the reverb xml file has the WORKBUFFER only.

I will need to dick around with these tonight, as the TimP spring reverb I bought is a monster and does nothing but snap, crackle and pop. :)
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:11 pm

The reverb dll should also have this setting. Like I said, try loading an empty instance of the reverb dll, close your DAW, then look at the xml. The xmls should have the same categories, but different settings for each. But the DSPBUFFER should indeed be there. What version of nebula are you using (Pro, 2 or 3, Server, etc)?
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula