Login

Nebula and Blue Cat MB-7 Mixer

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula and Blue Cat MB-7 Mixer

Postby Lonnie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Certain boutique hardware already has its niche in one spot of the frequency spectrum, and with Nebula's exactness we'd need go no further than Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer (a dll that loads into a host), which can load multiple Nebula instances within. In this case I loaded-up Nebula Programs that subjectively sound silky:

80Hz Shelf Nebula Germanos W695
160Hz Nebula Retro Helios Mid
700Hz Nebula API550b High Mid Sweep
2K-up Shelf Nebula 9098 Pre

This is the beginning of many experiments to narrow further, not just to the flavor of appropriate hardware but dissect further to the octave it best does its thing!

In the near future I envision paragraphic Pultecs, Led Hendrix consoles... :D Oh this is too fun. The demos for Blue Cat are free and for Windows and Mac. FYI I'm not involved with Blue Cat. But a steep discount would make me happier :shock: :D :lol:
Last edited by Lonnie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Nebula and Blue Cat MB-7 Mixer

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I just checked this..

It almost works with a eq , maybe I'm not using it correctly? If I insert a high shelf and boost , then have a mid range at 5.6k which means you need to get the filter up to about 10k to capture to get the entire curve of the mid, then I miss the bottom curve part of the high shelf. The filters need to overlap over a broad spectrum

One thing that is cool about this is your not travelling through the signal path more than once like you would from stacked instances.This is because its a multi band parallel filter. Strange curves though. But maybe I'm not using it correctly.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Lonnie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 pm

I've still got to go through the MB-7 to make sure the filter cutoffs are optimal. Not sure at the moment.

So many places to go with this, one being I'd like to make a faux, dream N*****n vocal preset (to me it's the way sibilance frequencies are dealt with that make a N*****n a N*****n) by blending anything I can get my hands on (working to get Henry Olonga's You67 ATM) with anything else. To my ears a U67 has a midrange to die for, and U87's top end is righteous for the way there's intelligibility yet not so much urgency as the U67, if that can be said. And then there's the U47... gotta have that in there somewhere :shock:

For those who claim hardware is better, this in the software realm still allows for planning unusual hardware combos that would take days of wiring-up.

I should call this combo Nebula 3D.

So far it's important to note: x64-bit of Reaper, Nebula & MB-7 runs more efficiently than the x86, no comparison.
Last edited by Lonnie on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah,

Like the way your thinking. It would work well with fairly flat frequency response presets.

I think I will try making a multi band compressor from It, think it might be quite nice.... ;)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Lonnie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:09 am

Yeah an 1176 clamping the low end/plosives and LA2A on the vocal mids. Just thinking out loud :)
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am

We were talking with BC and exchange NFRs. The only issues is that Nebula can not recall SR correctly if you work in different SR than 44.1 kHz. Also happens in similar products (meta-plugin).

PS: You still use x86 apps and plug-ins? I'm building a new computer and I will not install any x86 audio app or plug-in! Adieu x86...
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Lonnie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:30 am

Speaking of x86, there's a free VST called Crossover:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=950
It sends one band of frequency to up to 4 places. Now while this is x86, it might be a template to see if Reaper (x64) can take one of it's EQs as 4 bandpass filters, then the output of each of those goes to four waiting Nebulas.

Make it as a track preset. But I get dyslexic brainstorming, can someone figure this out?
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sneaky » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 am

JS: LOSER/5BandSplitter
sneaky

Postby richie43 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 pm

sneaky wrote:JS: LOSER/5BandSplitter

As a Reaper user, I have been spoiled by the amazingly useful JS plugins included in Reaper, this is one of the cooler one's for sure. A bit different from the MB-7 (and UGLIER, like any JS plugin! :shock: ), but a great alternative if you already have it.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Lonnie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:28 am

Are there similar presets for the JS splitters that show the pinout? I was thinking a Reaper Track Preset with splitter > 4 Nebulas > either recombined with joiners or just a buss.

Using anything native Reaper is preferable to me, so that solution sounds worth investing a little time to get some presets started.
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Working with Nebula