Login

Nebula Hardware

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Hardware

Postby jorismak » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Completely unrelated to the hardware part, but at the OP:
What are you trying that a Core i7-39xx can't handle it?! My old Core i7-870 oc'd to 3.3 has no problems so far.

And tracking through nebula (Single track) is possible now through the normal Nebula3 version. It adds about 1ms of latency at 96khz I believe (not the Reverb version).
jorismak

Postby jdieks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Well, I say "can't handle it" because in the ideal situation you would use Nebula as any other plugin.

And a normal "production scenario" for me is about 50-70 separate tracks (including hits/bangs etc on separate audio tracks), about 5-10 groups and 5 or so sends.

Every track has at least one effect but typically more: a compressor, EQ, maybe a chorus/flanger/reverb/delay etc.

So, what you would want with nebula is to run it in real-time on every track for as many effects as you can, like in a "normal" production scenario. Where in a normal production scenario, many times the power is divided among different devices (UAD/Pro-tools HD(X)/Vienna ensemble pro).

On my 3930k I can run 1 effect on every track if I'm lucky and then I need to start exporting.
But what if a client didn't like what you did? You need to go back, undo the nebula stuff and export/bounce again. While in a pro-tools/normal native environment (I use Nuendo) you would have to press one button with the mouse and move on to the next thing that needs to be done.

So for me, I really like Nebula, but I would like it even more if I could just throw 3 of them on every track and don't worry about a thing :)

As a side note, I tried to setup my Vienna ensemble network so that nebula would run on ensemble servers, but that seemed to mess up the latency compensation. Probably a bug in Vienna though...
jdieks
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am

As a side note, I tried to setup my Vienna ensemble network so that nebula would run on ensemble servers, but that seemed to mess up the latency compensation. Probably a bug in Vienna though...

Can you send me (to my emial) a full report! Venesa work with VE everyday.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby mightymosaic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 am

This is going to change the audio world forever. Im in!!
mightymosaic

Postby enriquesilveti » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 am

jdieks wrote:Well, I say "can't handle it" because in the ideal situation you would use Nebula as any other plugin.

And a normal "production scenario" for me is about 50-70 separate tracks (including hits/bangs etc on separate audio tracks), about 5-10 groups and 5 or so sends.

Every track has at least one effect but typically more: a compressor, EQ, maybe a chorus/flanger/reverb/delay etc.

So, what you would want with nebula is to run it in real-time on every track for as many effects as you can, like in a "normal" production scenario. Where in a normal production scenario, many times the power is divided among different devices (UAD/Pro-tools HD(X)/Vienna ensemble pro).

On my 3930k I can run 1 effect on every track if I'm lucky and then I need to start exporting.
But what if a client didn't like what you did? You need to go back, undo the nebula stuff and export/bounce again. While in a pro-tools/normal native environment (I use Nuendo) you would have to press one button with the mouse and move on to the next thing that needs to be done.

So for me, I really like Nebula, but I would like it even more if I could just throw 3 of them on every track and don't worry about a thing :)

I get in contact with VSL. I'll test it soon as I get a Steinberg usb key ( :( )
Enrique Silveti.

UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby jdieks » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:28 am

ok, thanks...
jdieks
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jdieks » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:24 pm

I might have to add that I'm always running @48kHz
jdieks
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 am

OK. We also in 48 and testing 96 (ASAP now PC part come...)
Enrique Silveti.

UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby jdieks » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm

I have been thinking about this hardware thing lately and I've got a suggestion (that I think I have seen before, but especially relevant for the hardware unit):
Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a "rack", kind of like the DDMF metaplug, that connects to the hardware. In that rack you can add a whole channel strip. For instance 5 EQ bands (1 whole EQ) and a compressor. This whole rack just sends 1 (2) audio out to the hardware and recieves one back. AND it sends control data so the hardware will do what you change in the rack.

Seems to me that this would be a far better option for sending data over ethernet, then just adding 6 instances on the same channel that all have their own data connection.
jdieks
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:25 pm

yes it's planned for 2014, we are working on this concept too
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula