Login

Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio tool

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio to

Postby madigwann » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

richie43 wrote:
madigwann wrote:Would you pay 2000$ for Nebula if it was a mature technology that does what it pretends to do easily ? I personnally would. 2000$ to put you in a league that is the culprit of the industry is nothing for a true Producer. If you're serious about making music, you'll pay far more than 2000$ just for decent preamps and mics. Having preamp emulation with nebula is a joke. You can't just record through crappy hardware, turn on your computer,launch nebula and think it will suddenly become a Professional polished track... you'll always need good hardware ! period. As to Kemper, plug in our guitar, play that profile and record it directly out of the profiling device, and you have your sound. No need to mic anything more. In conclusion, I wish Nebula would improve and allow users to sample their own hardware easily, have a decent dynamic range, a manual, a good interface, and be more accurate... I doubt that will happen one day. That software hasn't even really improved since version 2...Server version is nothing more than pro version with a slightly better memory management (I even doubt it really works). What a joke !

I have many thousands invested in my studio, and I see that you are merely wanting someone to agree with you. I am not that person, I have seen major improvements in the Nebula engine, in the libraries, and in the customer service. I think I need to bow out for real this time, you are obviously not interested in any type of positive conversation, you are bent on complaining, making noise, and generally being a real unpleasant dud. I am sorry that your experience is not as great as mine, but I have some work todo. For clients. Doing audio with my studio, with Nebula, and all of my other various tools that I have selected because they work for me. I don't concern myself with whatever works or doesn't work for anyone else. For that matter, I have never owned ProTools, an ilok, and love my Reaper-Nebula-hybrid DAW studio. I suppose I am not a "real" audio person now..... I hope that you figure out how to be happier, I'd hate feeling like that. Anyway, feel free to keep ranting, I'm done unless you actually want to engage in some constructive and intelligent discourse. Cheers.

Allright dude ! What is constructive for you ? I know what Nebula can do and what it cannot do. I've been using it for months. What do you want me to say ? That the devs here are great because they take care of the community and they are so fast at improving the product and so on ? I can't say that ! Because it is simply not true ! Do they have other things to do ? Not enough time ? The company is too small ? Then find a solution for that ! Do I live with this ? YES ! Would I defend them ? NO ! The topic isn't about Kemper or any other company. The profiling amp was just an exemple because it is a similar technology. It is for guitarists, but it is similar technology that is SIMPLE TO USE and SOUNDS GREAT ! You can bash it if you want, but the fact is that it sounds great and every professionnal guitarist recognizes it is one of the best Advanced Tools that have been seen for decades in amp emulation. Does it compare to Nebula ? Not the same goal (but who knows...) Do I still use Nebula ? Of course ! I've paid for it. Nebula is actually limited to adding tape color or Eqing (not for mastering though) All the rest is useless and not practical. Even the reverbs I hear so many people talking about are impractical because you cannot tweak them and they put your hardware to knees. Many people can be ok with this, but I'm sure many other silent forumers are disapointed with Nebula like me, because it was not advertised this way, it made us dream of something that will never happen here...
madigwann
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:37 pm

madigwann wrote:Many users here may flame me for that post, but I remember when I bought Nebula PRO 3, I was full of hope. All those promising announcements about how hardware could be replaced by nebula. I invested in massive pc, full of cpu power to handle sessions. I am not a Professional audio engineer, and I thought I could learn making good music thanks to Nebula. I believed in this community and in the developpers. But after several years, I am so disappointed. For me, Nebula is half dead. There is no improvement, there are more problems than good things. Is it due to piracy ? I don't think so. What I saw was a bunch of so called developpers who were hiding behind the great amount of difficulty and the so big work they had put in releasing their Library :roll: , although everything was done to prevent users to manage to sample their hardware correctly. I'm glad piracy put an end in that endless money collecting, whereas users were always stuck in improper use of the Tools. I didn't pay for the software to be unable to sample my own gear. I almost call this a rip off. People are ready to pay and support developpers if the product is good and does what it is intended to do. Nebula is becoming more and more useless. I have started collecting hardware again, and I prefer to invest in DIY recording gear, at least I'll have a bit of control over my setup. I hope other companies will come out with solutions for us music makers to catch the sound of boutique hardware. A company like kemper does already a good job with its profiling amp. One doesn't need a supercomputer to use it, the device is rather simple to use, and the results are more than convincing. All you hear here is that Nebula cannot do anything of what users awaited from it ! Nebula is a total disappointment ! :evil:

madigwann, here a short answer, I'll be straight.
It's my opinion, I'm the developer so I'm biased, but our current engine/libraries provide in "a lot of cases" something which simply doesn't exist in the software realm. This is the main reason why we are currently trying to improve it.
Now a bit of info: nebula project was a bit slowed between november 2011 and july 2013, but at the moment it's alive in a new way, we are working hard and we'll improve it seriously.

but beware. This doesn't mean we "have" to. The project, price range, things released are in our opinion pretty aligned with the market and what you can do using nebula. To be honest nebula could be sold for an higher price, a lot higher, since, as I was saying, it provides something which doesn't exist, and in a lot of things we have a sort of monopoly.
But we decided to work on it simply because improving it could lead to even better results so it's worthing.
I tell you again, imho.
Hope it helps.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:48 pm

just last thing.
It's pretty impossible you can't find in our product and 3rd party libraries something which really you need. Ok maybe you don't care, not eveyone needs something high end. You could create an hit-song using common gear (for example without a N**e or A*I).
But nebula IS high-end. Now if you add the price of that emulation + the nebula price I guess you are just paying a fraction of the price. And even if you open a single instance it's worthing.

Currently I'm using an 2700 mac book pro i7 featuring windows 8 inside a virtual machine and I open A LOT OF NEBULAS. So even if it was for that preset only, I could open MANY. Now back to my point, a lot of plugin on the market with even a lower quality would cost in most case a lot more. So I don't get the word useless.

If you don't agree, I accept it. Maybe for you high end gear is useless, because you create things which are based on complex interaction among tracks or you have to convert to a sort of mp3 format, so the wasting of your time doesn't compensate for the efforts, but not all recording engineers are in your position, maybe.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby botus99 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 pm

This thread has gone on way too long. Truth be told, madigwann has an opinion that NONE of us are going to agree with or understand (and vice versa).

Furthermore, madigwann hasn't presented a base for his argument. Is it that Nebula sucks? No, he already said he still uses it, so he'd be putting himself in a predicament there. Is it that Kemper is better than Nebula? No, but somehow that argument persists. That argument is only comparing apples to oranges as Kemper and Nebula are 2 different beasts (I think we can all agree on that, I don't want to go any further explaining this :lol: ).

So really, what's the point? Who cares? Nebula isn't perfect, and it makes madigwann mad. RAWWWRAGAGG!!!

He has no one to vent to about how he doesn't like Nebula, so we are the privileged ones that get to hear his nonsensical complaints. But hey, that's just how I'm seeing this :geek:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby dpclarkson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I had a good laugh today reading this thread.
dpclarkson

Postby madigwann » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post, including the dev. I have no intention to convince anyone not to work with whatever tool they want. I repeat that I'll keep on using Nebula if I want, that doesn't mean I'm satisfied with the way this app is managed. I won't talk again about other companies or technologies, because people like to avoid the topic to get into a comparison of brands and so on. I'm glad the dev recognized that Nebula has evoluted in a very slow rate since at least three years. It's my right to be angry because I believed in the potential of the tool. Only the future will give us an answer, and will show us if acustica audio is able to transform Nebula into a usable tool, by the standards of actual plugins offering, including sonics, stability, ease of use and processing power. And by the way Giancarlo, Nebula still lacks many qualities to endorse the title of 'High End', one of them being the lack of usable dynamic range. I hope you'll manage to make it go further one day...
madigwann
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 pm

I was not trying to avoid the topic by diverting this into a comparison between products. You were the one who introduced another product and compared it's development and usability. I merely followed your thread of reasoning.
I think it is noble of Giancarlo to address this to you personally, he didn't have to explain anything to anyone. he offers a tool and we as users can choose to use it or not.
I still disagree with you regarding the "high-end" quality of Nebula. I still prefer it as it is right now today over almost any algorithmic plugin that claims to do something similar. Cheers.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby swartzfeger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:10 am

madigwann wrote:A friend of mine made me discover the potential of the Kemper profiling amp. That thing made me think about Nebula immediatly. I was blown away by the simplicity of the usage of that device. And let me tell you that even on very good monitors, the very first profiles were so close to the real thing it's amazing. I felt it needed just a bit of Eqing to be perfect. On headphones, the thing sounded perfect ! I was so excited about it. I wondered why that small box could do such thing alone without any computer, any Sh@$tty kernel, nor any dead long latency, whereas the so promising Nebula would have failed completely. I was so angry remembering all those posts concluding that Nebula cannot sample distortion, Nebula cannot this, Nebula cannot that, Nebula cannot cannot cannot... I became aware that Nebula needs another environnement (devs, company, team whatever you call it) to at least be able to do what that 'simple' device can do. For every people here still in their dream, Let's take a rendez vous in five years. That promising technology will be dead or sold. I bet it !

I specifically passed on the Kemper due to aliasing in some instances (search the Kemper forum). The Kemper can't be used as an audio interface, has substandard routing, SPDIF is limited to 44.1, has very very limited effects compared to something like the AxeFX, has underpowered dsp/SHARC...

Every product has flaws.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 am

Nebula is the best sounding software, that i've ever heard. Period)
I'll just leave it here...)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby sneaky » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 am

1st forum post ive read here anything like this. good on you madigwann for cutting loose. best mix enhancement tip ive ever ignored is to constantly use reference tracks. nothing to do with nebula though..
sneaky

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula