Login

Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio tool

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio to

Postby Tunca_Kucuk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 pm

If you want to be happy with Nebula,don't use compressor programs.Cause compressor are not compressing like real hardware,actually.

The most amazing thing about Nebula is EQs!You can't get same flavor and results with any algorithm plugin.Even you simulate curves but you can't get!Preamps are awesome!Reverbs are superb!

I have some libraries.

APEq,Doc Fear,Fate Eq,Germanos Eq,Gemini Audio N**e Preamp...

I think i will never get these gears in my studio.A*I eq? N**e eq? DW Fearn eq? N**e preamp? I have their flavor.OK! not 1:1 but they are better than any plugin for me.

Sorry but the problem about you,i guess.

Sorry!

Thanks.
TK
Tunca_Kucuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby swartzfeger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 pm

telmo wrote:
swartzfeger wrote:So you are on a budget but you are considering buying into a platform that will charge you something like US$380 (off ebay) just for a single shark chip that will allow you to run only 3 instances of a US$299 plugin [snip]...

I already own a UA Apollo and a UAD-2 solo/laptop, but I see your point if I wasn't already invested in the hardware.

UA Apollo makes sense to me, quality real time algo for tracking, the best quality later for mixing.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby madigwann » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 pm

swartzfeger wrote:
madigwann wrote:I am not a Professional audio engineer, and I thought I could learn making good music thanks to Nebula.
How could Nebula teach you how to make good music?

I'm happy for you if you are an expert engineer who has nothing to learn from anyone... Yes I thought I could learn making good mixes by using a tool with similar sound and behavior as the hardware counterpart. It is not true at all ! I haven't posted on the forum, but I've been following posts on it for years ! Let me tell you that I doubt someone here will make me listen to Professional music made with nebula, not using any quality preamp for recording, using shit microphones replaced by some nebula emulation, no hardware compressor or hardware mastering eq after you've finished your mix... I was fooled by the dream of being able to use a software that could do it all, but IT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. And by the rate of improvements Nebula has, I doubt it would ever come from Acustica Audio one day. My wish would be that the devs of this technology sell it to some big company that could make it become a flagship technology for the music industry. Giancarlo and others just can't keep with it in my opinion. It would be better for everyone, because music is our passion, and I'm sure we're ready to spend at least 10k$ just to have a fully working technology. I don't get the point about the few dollars the guys ask for this or that... I have bought it because I believed in it, and thought it would become a great tool. It could have cost thousands, I would have saved money to buy it if it worked ! I may be an idiot, but I think everyone here is still fooled by their hope of having a great fully functionning tool. And it is not about workflow at all, it's about being able to replace dedicated hardware for the quality our music deserves... Nebula Still can't do it, just like other plugins cannot either...
madigwann
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:33 pm

@madigwann I am a little confused as to what you are trying to accomplish here. If you just need to vent, then have at it. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But I do come from hardware experience, and it was Nebula (and Reaper) that kept me from ditching digital audio completely and reinvesting in analog again. I have also done numerous A/B tests with some very experienced engineers in some VERY nice mixing rooms, and had them try to pick the "Nebulized" songs and the all analog songs. The results have always been less than 50%, which tells me that they hear differences in what they prefer, but can not tell me which is which. And the best part is that most of these people wanted to disprove Nebula.... Guess what? 2 of those studios (rather large one's) have some of their hardware for sale and are investing in better computers and Nebula libraries.
And regarding the idea of Acustica selling off to bigger investors..... I hope that they never consider this. The great devs behind Acustica are passionate about coding, audio, and giving to this community for a fair price. Development is not as slow as people make it sound like, this is complex technology and not getting frequent updates does not mean that they are not developing.
Nobody ever advertised any software as able to do it all, so relax. But if Nebula is not your thing, then go use other tools and make great music. Nebula will never replace hardware, and will never be a 1:1 duplicate. But my 48 year old audio ears love it and I am happy to not be maintaining an expensive room full of gear that collects dust if I don't use it. I know that Nebula is not perfect, but I have never seen any thing/software/person....ANYTHING attain perfection, so all I can say is "whatever".
Back to the thing that is confusing me: What are you trying to accomplish ranting so much against a product on a forum frequented by people that like it? If you have requests and suggestions to make it better, that's awesome. Everything in life has room for improvement, and involvement from a community of users is crucial for forward development. That's why I beta test for many software devs (Nebula and non): I do what I can to constructively help out in ways that I can. Cheers.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby madigwann » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm

I am in no way endorsed to any brand of software or anything. I could have used the software without paying for it. The internet is full of ways to download it for free. The little price I spent for it was to support the devs. Sorry, but nobody will make me believe that this software is improved in any way... you don't even have a new release or major update per year ! And I've worked extensively with it for months, trying all sorts of tricks. The Library that comes with it is a joke :USELESS. Some libraries make your tracks sound better, like using AlexB consoles and tape. But at the end, whatever you do, you'll end up having a bad mix. I think listening to one track isn't enough. I still haven't heard a Professional mix done with Nebula without hardware at all ! Sorry... Since some people Wonder what my goal is saying that on this forum, I am really mad at how people keep complaining on the forum, not wanting to shake the devs too much, accepting the fact that they have no manual, no direction of use, just keeping the hope that Nebula would be the Holy Grail. I think there is much much more work to do to get a real product that works both sonically and functionnally, but I don't see the devs shaking their @zz to get there one day. I prefer paying Nebula from any big company that improve it really even for BIG$ rather than a small one that cannot do it.
madigwann
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks for at least clarifying your viewpoint. I happen to strongly disagree, but that's fine. I have no problem with their rate of development, and do all of my mixing (yes, for paying clients, not merely personal use) with zero hardware these days. I sold my last piece of hardware (other than some preamps, guitar and bass amps, mics, etc) over 2 years ago. Yup, that's right, I do not own a single hardware compressor, eq, or "saturator" anymore.
I also don't see as much coddling of the devs as you do, I guess. I test for almost all of the library devs, and some for Acustica, and I am always extremely honest and up-front with all of them. They all definitely work very hard at this stuff. And keep in mind that they have never promised some holy grail, that is something people (such as yourself, it seems) have decided to expect. But that expectation is on you, nobody promised anything besides the best that they can deliver. So I guess I still don't know what you are hoping to accomplish..... You want Acustica to sell off to a bigger development company, like a Waves or similar. God, I hope not. Maybe this is just not the right tool for you. I personally find it very functional and sonically great.
And not trying to sound like an ass (I am actually a very agreeable and friendly guy), but if no matter what you do you end up with a bad mix, maybe you need to strip down your mix and fix it from within the mix- no plugin or even hardware can make a mediocre or bad mix any better than a slightly clearer and more full of mojo mediocre or bad mix. Nebula will not make any mix better or worse, it is merely a platform for a huge selection of emulation tools.
Since you seem open to dialog, maybe the next thing I ask you is what do you suggest to happen for Nebula to be whatever it is that you want to see it as? I'd love to pick your brain for constructive ideas instead of this being a whine-fest and then an attack by other Neb fanatics.......
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:20 am

You can just as easy make a lousy mix with hardware ... or algo plugs, or even NEBULA.

The tools are just that. The 'magic' of hardware, or Nebula is the sonic 'essence' that they embed into a signal ... nothing more, nor less. Again, only tools.

How a sound gets sculpted and placed within a mixture of others sounds is the challenge.

A point I've not heard mentioned here ... a 'truthful' room and monitoring chain is essential to making sonic decisions that are predictable when a mix leaves.

Experience happens over time.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby madigwann » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:31 am

richie43 wrote:Since you seem open to dialog, maybe the next thing I ask you is what do you suggest to happen for Nebula to be whatever it is that you want to see it as? I'd love to pick your brain for constructive ideas instead of this being a whine-fest and then an attack by other Neb fanatics.......

First let me tell you that I usually don't post on forums, I prefer observing from my place. What made me post this topic is something I lived some days ago. A friend of mine made me discover the potential of the Kemper profiling amp. That thing made me think about Nebula immediatly. I was blown away by the simplicity of the usage of that device. And let me tell you that even on very good monitors, the very first profiles were so close to the real thing it's amazing. I felt it needed just a bit of Eqing to be perfect. On headphones, the thing sounded perfect ! I was so excited about it. I wondered why that small box could do such thing alone without any computer, any Sh@$tty kernel, nor any dead long latency, whereas the so promising Nebula would have failed completely. I was so angry remembering all those posts concluding that Nebula cannot sample distortion, Nebula cannot this, Nebula cannot that, Nebula cannot cannot cannot... I became aware that Nebula needs another environnement (devs, company, team whatever you call it) to at least be able to do what that 'simple' device can do. For every people here still in their dream, Let's take a rendez vous in five years. That promising technology will be dead or sold. I bet it !
madigwann
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:50 am

madigwann wrote:
richie43 wrote:Since you seem open to dialog, maybe the next thing I ask you is what do you suggest to happen for Nebula to be whatever it is that you want to see it as? I'd love to pick your brain for constructive ideas instead of this being a whine-fest and then an attack by other Neb fanatics.......

First let me tell you that I usually don't post on forums, I prefer observing from my place. What made me post this topic is something I lived some days ago. A friend of mine made me discover the potential of the Kemper profiling amp. That thing made me think about Nebula immediatly. I was blown away by the simplicity of the usage of that device. And let me tell you that even on very good monitors, the very first profiles were so close to the real thing it's amazing. I felt it needed just a bit of Eqing to be perfect. On headphones, the thing sounded perfect ! I was so excited about it. I wondered why that small box could do such thing alone without any computer, any Sh@$tty kernel, nor any dead long latency, whereas the so promising Nebula would have failed completely. I was so angry remembering all those posts concluding that Nebula cannot sample distortion, Nebula cannot this, Nebula cannot that, Nebula cannot cannot cannot... I became aware that Nebula needs another environnement (devs, company, team whatever you call it) to at least be able to do what that 'simple' device can do. For every people here still in their dream, Let's take a rendez vous in five years. That promising technology will be dead or sold. I bet it !

Ok, at least I fully understand that I simply don't agree with you. I respect your viewpoints, but if I was to be as assertive as you, I'd say that you are completely wrong in your assertions (about Nebula AND Kemper...lol). But I won't, because you can like and dislike whatever you want. Like I said earlier, I demoed a Kemper in my own space, I borrowed one for over a week to test it fairly. I honestly didn't like it. It was good, but not great in my opinion. I'd even go as far to say that I felt about it the same way you feel about Nebula. I felt like the reputation was false and idealistic, but the sound was ok, but not convincing enough for me to buy one ever. Not until they improve the technology.But you know what? That's my opinion based on my own ears. So I won't use one, it's that simple. The first impressions were great, but after a few days I felt like every profile sounded 2 dimensional and fake. You may or may not experience the same thing, so I hope that you have a return period before you throw your money into it.

But I don't see Nebula as the "cannot cannot" that you do, so I'll continue to use it. My money (and time and energy) are not wasted on the Nebula products, I am very grateful for the technology, the tools, and this helpful (and normally pretty positive and constructive) community of users and devs that seem to care about how it all goes.

Feel free to check back here in 5 years. I, unlike you, believe that the product and the users will still be around. But even if it's not, I bet you will have had more technical issues with your Kemper than I will with my emulated hardware. Ha ha, I got you there! By the way, a studio here in Minneapolis that i do session work for sometimes has (or had...I can verify that in a few days when I am there) a Kemper has started bringing out the real amps as of late. The Kemper is about 3 months old, has never been out of the studio (so no gigs, no transporting, etc), and has already been serviced twice. I am not trying to insult you, I'm being honest and truly hope that if you spend that much on new technology, pay a little extra for a service warrantee if one is available. I'd be super nervous to rely on that as a gigging amp.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby vespesian » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 am

madigwann wrote: Sorry, but nobody will make me believe that this software is improved in any way... you don't even have a new release or major update per year ! And I've worked

Um - with all due respect...who cares? If it works, it works. Once set up, it's about the easiest plugin to use (just slap it on somewhere), and encourages (I think) cool experimentation with sound. For me, it offers access to a world of stratospherically expensive hardware which I otherwise could never hope to use.

To each his own, I guess...posting.php?mode=quote&f=11&p=61489#
vespesian
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula