Login

Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio tool

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio tool

Postby madigwann » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:16 am

Many users here may flame me for that post, but I remember when I bought Nebula PRO 3, I was full of hope. All those promising announcements about how hardware could be replaced by nebula. I invested in massive pc, full of cpu power to handle sessions. I am not a Professional audio engineer, and I thought I could learn making good music thanks to Nebula. I believed in this community and in the developpers. But after several years, I am so disappointed. For me, Nebula is half dead. There is no improvement, there are more problems than good things. Is it due to piracy ? I don't think so. What I saw was a bunch of so called developpers who were hiding behind the great amount of difficulty and the so big work they had put in releasing their Library :roll: , although everything was done to prevent users to manage to sample their hardware correctly. I'm glad piracy put an end in that endless money collecting, whereas users were always stuck in improper use of the Tools. I didn't pay for the software to be unable to sample my own gear. I almost call this a rip off. People are ready to pay and support developpers if the product is good and does what it is intended to do. Nebula is becoming more and more useless. I have started collecting hardware again, and I prefer to invest in DIY recording gear, at least I'll have a bit of control over my setup. I hope other companies will come out with solutions for us music makers to catch the sound of boutique hardware. A company like kemper does already a good job with its profiling amp. One doesn't need a supercomputer to use it, the device is rather simple to use, and the results are more than convincing. All you hear here is that Nebula cannot do anything of what users awaited from it ! Nebula is a total disappointment ! :evil:
madigwann
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Nebula is becoming more a bullshit than a real studio to

Postby telmo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 am

Yeah I know what you meant but I just don't think Nebula is a company like UA with loads of investments, man power, and a revenue that would make possible to quickly overcome such difficulties imposed by the tech Acustica Audio has developed to create this outstanding platform that is Nebula, which has literally the best quality in the Vst world.
Look at things like the VNXT reverbs, or the Gemini Kultube, or AITB Mammoth or AlexB Modern Tube Console just to name a few and compare it to the rivals alike such as UA Massive Passive, Slate VCC or Valhalaroom. THERE IS NO COMPARISON, simple as that! Nebula DOES have a analog sound to it, and it does sounds F****G GOOD! And if the price to bring this quality programs to my studio is that I have to put up with the endless bugs Nebula has I am really ok with that cos the alternative is literally spending thousands of dollars to get one instance of a few hardware.
But I see you point I really do, I just don't think you can call the Nebula team up as they were ripping you off your money and doing nothing to improve this platform because that is just not the case.
Do you think is easy to be independent and survive in this market? Look at names like Avid that was almost bankrupt twice the past 2 years and you think this guy from Nebula is ripping you off? I would gladly pay more than twice of what they charge if there was no bugs and crashes all the time, but even with all the problems it have I think I am the one ripping these guys off by paying so little for these tools when I, and a lot more like me, pay an awful lot more for plugins from UA and Softube that does NOT sound anywhere near as good as this.
So just to sum it up
-we have an OUTSTANDING tool that sound like nothing else in the market,
-we a really nice guy like Giancarlo that I am sure work his ass off to make this thing work, technically and economically.
-we pay €189.00 for it and a few more for each libraries
-we have a few bugs
-we can't easily model our own hardware (I think from what you are telling me cos I never tried)
And you are saying that this is all bullshit?
I can only say one more thing: WHERE CAN I GET MORE OF THIS BULLSHIT PLEASE?

Just my 2c ;)
telmo
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby swartzfeger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:32 am

madigwann wrote:I am not a Professional audio engineer, and I thought I could learn making good music thanks to Nebula.

How could Nebula teach you how to make good music?

madigwann wrote:There is no improvement, there are more problems than good things.

You're a PC user, not a Mac user like me. Mac users have more room for complaint here. :)

madigwann wrote:Is it due to piracy ? I don't think so. What I saw was a bunch of so called developpers who were hiding behind the great amount of difficulty and the so big work they had put in releasing their Library :roll: , although everything was done to prevent users to manage to sample their hardware correctly. I'm glad piracy put an end in that endless money collecting, whereas users were always stuck in improper use of the Tools. I didn't pay for the software to be unable to sample my own gear. I almost call this a rip off. People are ready to pay and support developpers if the product is good and does what it is intended to do. Nebula is becoming more and more useless. I have started collecting hardware again, and I prefer to invest in DIY recording gear, at least I'll have a bit of control over my setup. I hope other companies will come out with solutions for us music makers to catch the sound of boutique hardware. A company like kemper does already a good job with its profiling amp. One doesn't need a supercomputer to use it, the device is rather simple to use, and the results are more than convincing. All you hear here is that Nebula cannot do anything of what users awaited from it ! Nebula is a total disappointment ! :evil:

I don't get this. At *all*. I don't own Nebula yet (full disclosure -- I purchased a Pro license from someone and should receive the transfer from Acustica soon; when I do, I'm upgrading it to Server). While I've been looking at Nebula the last few months I can't believe how many libraries have been released by Henry, Tim P, Mike at CDSM, etc. Even if I never knew about those guys, AlexB has more libraries than I could afford in my first year. Signal to Noise, the list goes on... there are a TON of libraries out there I can't wait to get my hands on.

You seem frustrated. I understand that; as a Mac user, I've been hearing for over 2 years that an OS X 64-bit AU is coming. Running Nebula in Logic X without a copy of Server is next to impossible (I tried FrankydT and Gege's method on Nebula3 Free tonight with no luck).

Core4 is coming; Acustica is a small company... but they seem very talented and passionate. I think 2014 will be a great year for both users and devs.

And hopefully I won't be hear two years from now ranting. :)

Hnag in there...
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby swartzfeger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:42 am

telmo wrote:-we pay €189.00 for it and a few more for each libraries

Just to put some perspective on this -- Pro eu139 is about $189 US. Server eu189 is about $255 US.

I'm on a limited budget. $190 and $250 is a lot of money. Especially for software that hasn't delivered a stable 64-bit Mac plugin with a 'difficult' interface. BUT...

I'm considering the new UA A*I Vision channel strip plugin. $300. Arguably, close to Nebula quality, but much more $.

Slate VBC. Great compressor, I demoed it and loved it. $199. Just for one plugin.

The list goes on. For the quality that Nebula delivers, the price and hassle is worth it. The new Core4 platform, once it's released, should make things much smoother (I hope!)
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:52 am

I don't think anyone will bother flaming you here. It's an unusually friendly forum in my opinion (I compare it to the Reaper forum, another extremely friendly and helpful forum). But IF you do get flamed, what should you expect? lol. This IS a forum mostly frequented by people that, unlike yourself, like this product, the technology, and the forward-thinking spirit behind Acustica. I actually think that considering the enormously advanced technology involved, the updates and improvements have been quick and major. Have you tried the newest release?
I come from the all analog audio world, and I would never go back to collecting hardware, remortgaging my house so I can have the space to keep it and the money to maintain it. No thanks.
And yes, Kemper amps are cool, but my ears say that they are still light years behind as far as realism goes. But whatever workd for you, you go there and make the best music that you can. I hope that you have fun cleaning pots, changing tubes, etc! But if you are looking for some kind of support to raise up a big outcry against this cool tool called Nebula, GearSlutz may offer you a more sympathetic ear than here.
I also have to say that the devs who make the various Nebula libraries have got to be the least money-loving devs of any software I have seen. If you look realistically at the time and energy they put into these libraries, and compare that to the cost of the libraries, you will see that they are making pennies for their hours. And yes, piracy has definitely hurt a few devs here, some have even stopped developing because of that. So your remark about being glad for some piracy is disrespectful and really callous. And by the way, if you bothered to read a little and ask a few friendly devs for help, you would have discovered that it is not very hard to sample hardware.
Good luck. I hope that you are not always so dissatisfied and angry. I'd hate to be like that.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 am

Im not sure what the main complaint is here...is there a problem sampling gear with NAT? I dont personally use that I buy others libraries...it seems that its a bit of an art making libraries...and Im on Mac so Nat is not even available. Neither is 64bit yet lol - now we do have something to complain about!
One thing I do agree on is that the development rate of Nebula has slowed down over the last couple of years - but aside from 64bit it has been working fine for me...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby telmo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 pm

swartzfeger wrote:
telmo wrote:-we pay €189.00 for it and a few more for each libraries

Just to put some perspective on this -- Pro eu139 is about $189 US. Server eu189 is about $255 US.

I'm on a limited budget. $190 and $250 is a lot of money. Especially for software that hasn't delivered a stable 64-bit Mac plugin with a 'difficult' interface. BUT...

I'm considering the new UA A*I Vision channel strip plugin. $300. Arguably, close to Nebula quality, but much more $.

Slate VBC. Great compressor, I demoed it and loved it. $199. Just for one plugin.

The list goes on. For the quality that Nebula delivers, the price and hassle is worth it. The new Core4 platform, once it's released, should make things much smoother (I hope!)

So you are on a budget but you are considering buying into a platform that will charge you something like US$380 (off ebay) just for a single shark chip that will allow you to run only 3 instances of a US$299 plugin that (I do have a UAD card and I tested it) at best would sound ok comparing to the real hardware but is at the worst case as good as Gemini Audio G2500.
So lets build a Nebula counterpart:
You have a really good compressor that will cost you 36€ plus a AlexB Vintage Black eQ (A*I 550a) for €20,00 and you can add a really good preamp emu for around 30 bucks (cos really I love some Uad stuff but the preamp on this Vision plugin is just a joke on all the people that are begging Uad to do preamp emus), considering that you already have Nebula and that you could run multiple instances of all this libraries I really don't see the economic point of not to go the Nebula way on this, and not to say the sound quality point of view that in my opinion there is just no comparison, but hey that is just me.

Cheers!
telmo
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby botus99 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

madigwann wrote:everything was done to prevent users to manage to sample their hardware correctly.

... Right. You're evidence for this is astounding :roll: If you want to make that call, then YOU bear the burden of proof. Good luck proving your short-sighted opinions.

madigwann wrote:Nebula is becoming more and more useless. All you hear here is that Nebula cannot do anything of what users awaited from it !

All eh? Yup, this guy somehow has followed all of us and found out our true opinions on Nebula :lol:

All I can do is laugh at posts that are this stupid; trying to pass off opinion as fact because you got your butt hurt.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:15 pm

As much as I obviously disagree with the OP here (since I am known to be an admitted Nebula junkie), I would love to see the forum community treat this whole thing with some maturity, decency, and a maybe even a little class and sympathy. We need to admit that Nebula is not for everyone, and after reading some of the praise many of us give, some new users are liable to feel frustrated and angry when they have a harder time to get that same elated feeling. It's difficult software and usually requires a huge over-haul of work-flow. And if a person already has some long-term work-flow habits, they are invariably going to have a harder time than some of us who jumped in and started fresher.
But mostly, we may to consider the possibility that this whole thing is an intentional attempt to get people upset and tempt us into acting like idiots (can we all say the word "troll" together in unison....?), so let's not indulge that. Cheers!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 pm

True, Nebula is a workflow-killer, doesn't deliver
the amount of saturation levels I'd like to see, is
sensitive to clipping which causes artefacts, compression
isn't quite there yet, and it's too damn heavy on the cpu.
Still, I'm mixing with Nebula every day, together with other tools to get
the mix where I want.
Then again, in the HW-world; patching takes time,
maintenance takes time, printing to DAW takes time, recalling
settings takes time, etc. etc.
Buying 16 vintage N**e 1084's, 16 A*I 550's, an S*L 4000E console,
springs, plates, etc. is not an option for me.
This is a second best, again, it's a personal choice.
It works for some, but not for everyone I guess.
dpclarkson

Next

Return to Working with Nebula