Login

Nebula3 Pro Win x64 1.3.602 Long Load Time

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula3 Pro Win x64 1.3.602 Long Load Time

Postby zwatrif » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:41 am

Thanks for the help richie43. I'll have to check and see if I've passed the 10,000 preset threshold. And I'll also check into Nebula Setups.

richie43 wrote:
zwatrif wrote:Thanks for your help RJHollins. I do have quite a large 3rd-party Nebula library. Maybe that's why I am seeing longer load times. I felt that before I upgraded to the latest Nebula version, my load times were shorter. Maybe I'm mistaken. I guess the main thing is that other than long load times, Nebula is working well on my 64-bit Sonar X2 and 32-bit Pro Tools 10 Native. :-)

How big is big...? Have you hit the 10,000 preset threshold yet? You should definitely look into using Nebula Setups. I have over 50 specific instances made with this very cool app, and load-time (to the init screen) for any one of them is a few seconds. So opening a project that already has many nebula's does not take long to load anymore. That 30 seconds or more that you report is actually normal if every time you load a blank Nebula it has to scan your entire repository.
zwatrif
User Level V
User Level V

Postby misterambient » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 am

zwatrif wrote:Hello,

Today I updated Nebula3 Pro Win x64 1.3.600 to 1.3.602. All seems to be working fine except for having to wait around 30 seconds from the time that I instantiate an instance of Nebula in the Sonar FX bin until Nebula gets to the "Init" screen. I've never had to wait as long as 30 seconds in any previous version that I used. It seemed like it used to load in 3-5 seconds. And now it takes 30 seconds. Any suggestions as to why the long load time?

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Mike

It shouldn't do that. It must be a bug of some kind since you had no problems with 1.3.600.
misterambient
User Level V
User Level V

Postby idrummer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm having exactly the same issue but I'm on a Mac. (OSX.6.8) Since I upgraded to 1.3.600 is taking ages (20-30 sec.) to load the init screen. Before this upgrade the loading time was almost inmediatly. I don't have that many 3rd party library... I'll try G's suggestion about deletimg the temporary folder and post back again. Thanks
idrummer
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby giancarlo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:17 pm

if all presets are not cached properly for somewhat reason you have this behaviour. It's an old issue though. When you install a new version you force this sort of "re-scan". If something is not properly configured it takes ages and it recalculates things again and again. Delete temp and wait a bit of time. Than reload nebula and check how many presets in temp folder were modified recently. Sometimes UAC is responsible of this behaviour (for example it re-scans again but it can't save things properly)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby zwatrif » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 pm

I deleted the temp folder and reloaded Nebula. No change for me. It still takes 20-30 seconds to get to the "Init" screen.

BTW - What is UAC?

giancarlo wrote:if all presets are not cached properly for somewhat reason you have this behaviour. It's an old issue though. When you install a new version you force this sort of "re-scan". If something is not properly configured it takes ages and it recalculates things again and again. Delete temp and wait a bit of time. Than reload nebula and check how many presets in temp folder were modified recently. Sometimes UAC is responsible of this behaviour (for example it re-scans again but it can't save things properly)
zwatrif
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 am

I think ...

if you DELETE the TEMP folder contents ... the next time you load up NEBULA, it will have to re-cache the files ... writing new content to the TEMP folder.

Maybe the 2nd time you load NEBULA, it would be faster.

Other issues ... disk space, fragmentation ??? More libraries ... longer load time to INIT.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:29 am

how many files does nebula modify each time in temp folder? I'm trying to understand if it scans things again. Did you turn windows UAC off? A normal number of presets in nebula is around 1000, if you have something in the 5000 ballpark I suggest to use nebula setups
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby zwatrif » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks to all who've reached out to help me with this.

Answers to Giancarlo's questions:

How many files does nebula modify each time in temp folder?

I opened up 2 songs in Sonar where I have several instances of Nebula loaded. After the projects opened, I looked in the temp folder and noticed that there were brand new files written for the presets that I used in these 2 songs, Is this normal for new files to be written when opening up a song? So it does look like it scans again.

Did you turn windows UAC off?

Yes, UAC has always been turned off.

A normal number of presets in nebula is around 1000, if you have something in the 5000 ballpark I suggest to use nebula setups.

I do have quite a few presets, but even so, Nebula definitely opened faster when I was using version 1.3.600. If I go back to version 1.3.600, what features am I missing out on compared to 1.3.602? Should I try and back to the older version and see if I get the same slow load times? Eventually I will check out Nebula Setups and see if that helps my workflow.

One other observation - I changed a setting in the mast settings that made Nebula load to the "Init" screen almost instantly. I don't remember exactly what the setting is called as I'm not on that computer at the moment, but I believe it was on the left hand side of the Mast page and was call "scanboot". I was able to change the setting number from 1 to 0 and after closing, then reopening the project, it takes 1-2 seconds to reach the "Init" screen. Then I changed this setting back to 1, closed and reopened the project, and it took the 20-30 seconds to get to the "Init" screen. Maybe I should try going back to version 1.3.600 and see if I can get quicker load times.

Thanks again for all who have tried to help me with this.

giancarlo wrote:how many files does nebula modify each time in temp folder? I'm trying to understand if it scans things again. Did you turn windows UAC off? A normal number of presets in nebula is around 1000, if you have something in the 5000 ballpark I suggest to use nebula setups
zwatrif
User Level V
User Level V

Postby idrummer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 am

Hi.
I did what G suggested and it worked like charm. Although I have to say that 1.3.505used to load the init screen much faster (it was almost instantly. like in about 1-2 secs) now it takes 6 seconds. Well, I'm happy though, because Nebula 1.3.600 is much more stable on my Mac and very much CPU friendly.
Cheers.
idrummer
User Level IV
User Level IV

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula