Login

Smooth upgrade to 1.3.6, windows users

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Smooth upgrade to 1.3.6, windows users

Postby giancarlo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Today I tested nebula in several windows system (I have an half dozen of notebooks and several desktops) and I discovered that an old windows xp installation was not running nebula client at all.

An other important aspect, we changed a lot of things in our engine, so somone reported issues (incredibly there aren't new bugs open in bugs section, and you know, till we have an official bug report we'll not start working officially on things). Only a betatester, rich, reported in our beta forum some important issues but it was just a single case.

[note: it's important you report things in the right section, because we need to make questions and get your details in order to test a solution. If you post in an other section and you tell us you simply want to go back, we can't work really on your issues.]

Now back to the main task.
Since we have A LOT OF NEW THINGS, and we can't check really WHICH one is not working in your system if we test all of them alone, let's speak about a new nomenclature in nebula and a description of which feature is enabled or not. This nomenclature will start since version 1.3.601. If you want to test a DLL before official release, and you are a windows user, drop an email to giancarlodelsordo@gmail.com and I'll provide a version you could test quickly just replacing a DLL (so you could go back smootly). I'm pretty confident these new ones are working in a better way, and we could disable togheter components alone, in order to find a solution. Report which version are you running (nebula3, nebula2, nebula3pro and nebula3 client). For server component just wait a bit, we are speaking about nebula on windows now.

And now a description of components and the way they are reported in the engine string you'll read in MAST page.
-----------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE THESE RULES APPLY TO 1.3.601 OR LATER

ENGINE
Nebula2 and Nebula3: it is named "CoreI"
Nebula3 pro: it is named "Core4" (previously it was CoreII)
Nebula3 client: it is named "Core4S" (previously it was Core3). The "S" is for "shared", because it shares ram resources.

the engine tells you which product you are using. In general CoreI is slower than Core4 and in CoreI you don't have support for envelope followers (for this reason nebula3 pro works better for compresso emulations). The Client version (Core4S) implements a network connection, plus it saves ram resources. Network connection should NEVER be the reason for incompatility issues, it was implemented in nebula 1.3.474 if I'm not wrong and it works also in old windows xp systems

OPTIMIZATION

While nebula2 and nebula3 are based on engine, on the other side nebula3 pro and nebula3 server are based on a new optimization. Among other things we added support for intel ipp 8 and we fixed/worked on several issues about multithreading.
IF THIS OPTIMIZATION IS DISABLED YOU'LL GET AN "L" in the product string. From my tests enabling it doesn't lead to crashes or strange behaviours, it was tested a lot.

BASECLASSES

One of major tasks was about rewriting core classes in nebula for string and list storage. This optimization COULD LEAD TO ISSUES, especially for old systems. So if nebula doesn't work the first attempt will be removing this advanced optimization (result is a big speed in preset loading).

IF THIS OPTIMIZATION IS ENABLED YOU'LL GET AN "O" in the product string.

MODE

If you are running the 64 bits version of nebula you'll get "x64" in the product string, otherwise "x86"

GUI LIBRARY

On windows we moved to vstgui4, it was a consequence of mac osx cocoa porting. At the moment only nebula3 client is supporting vstgui4. INCREDIBLY in old systems (for example a Windows xp notebook) it could not work AT ALL. Vstgui4 is based on d2d libraries and you could get blocking issues (the plug DOES NOT LOAD AT ALL).

If you are running a version based on VSTGUI3 you'll get a "G3" in the product string, if you are running the newer VSTGUI4 you'll get a "G4"

Hope it helps.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Smooth upgrade to 1.3.6, windows users

Postby giancarlo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:19 pm

following our first tests, the "O" optimization was responsible of crash issues sometimes. Tomorrow we'll upload 1.3.601 for windows, disabling this optimization. If you are happy enough with 1.3.600 there is no reason for doing this update.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby misterambient » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Giancarlo I applied the upgrade 1.3.600 (Nebula Pro) on my overclocked i7 970, 64 bit. Windows 7 SP 1. It created 2 folders in my existing acustica folder. I replaced the 2 old dll's with the new ones (that have the same name), and deleted the others. I also deleted the empty xml files. I think the new 4 new dll's it installs are all 64 bit btw.

However, it works fine ; ). It says Nebula 1.3.600 now. Question: where can I see the O or the L, or the G4? What is this product string you are referring to? Or, is this new nomenclature only visible in version 1.3.601, as you stated above?
misterambient
User Level V
User Level V

Postby giancarlo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:02 am

only since 601
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Return to Working with Nebula