Login

Timed mode how much ms?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Timed mode how much ms?

Postby Scottxx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi Nebula's knowledged people.

I want to know how much ms are needed in TIMED mode for great authentic sound without stressing the cpu without need? For example on cabinet programs.

Thank You. :roll:
Scottxx
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Timed mode how much ms?

Postby botus99 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:40 pm

I've been curious about this myself. I've been experimenting with 50ms for tracks (then I render the tracks) and 30ms for busses.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:32 am

MAST page TIMED is the maximum allowed, if the emulation preset has only 20 ms in KERN page TIMED column only 20 ms will be played.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Scottxx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Thank you for the answer but that doesn't clear my doubt.

If the preset allow me to achieve 50 ms. That stress my cpu in a huge way. So, wich is the realtion in ms needed to achive the better sound using normal cpu resources. It depends on each Nebula Preset? Why that can't be explained somewhere? I coudn't find an explanation in the whole internet. I think if a product's use is explained more people will realize how good it is and will be interested to acquire it.
Scottxx
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 am

The problem with answering your question with a clear and concise answer is that there is no clear and concise answer. Every developer releases libraries that they have calibrated to work generally best with a default Nebula engine, no tweaks. Occasionally a dev will include some notes with the library describing a change in the xml file that will optimize the use of that library. But the problem is that when you change the xml for one library, you don't always know how that will affect another library that has been calibrated to work best with the default Nebula. If you really want to go down that road, I suggest that you start using the free Nebula Setups app from Zabukowski, it allows you to make specific Nebula dll's (and related xml's) for specific prestes (user defined), so then you can go back and make specific tweaks for certain functions and not mess with other presets. It is extremely easy and versatile, but this can get very intricate over time. Updates are not so simple when Acustica upgrades Nebula, since all of those dll's will need to be manually updated. But the option is there.
After 3 years of using Nebula, and doing many involved tweaks, I recently went through my obnoxiously large collection of libraries and dll's and removed many libraries, and restored most of the dll's to default state. Guess what? I have a better experience over-all and less issues.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:49 am

richie43 wrote:The problem with answering your question with a clear and concise answer is that there is no clear and concise answer. Every developer releases libraries that they have calibrated to work generally best with a default Nebula engine, no tweaks. Occasionally a dev will include some notes with the library describing a change in the xml file that will optimize the use of that library. But the problem is that when you change the xml for one library, you don't always know how that will affect another library that has been calibrated to work best with the default Nebula. If you really want to go down that road, I suggest that you start using the free Nebula Setups app from Zabukowski, it allows you to make specific Nebula dll's (and related xml's) for specific prestes (user defined), so then you can go back and make specific tweaks for certain functions and not mess with other presets. It is extremely easy and versatile, but this can get very intricate over time. Updates are not so simple when Acustica upgrades Nebula, since all of those dll's will need to be manually updated. But the option is there.
After 3 years of using Nebula, and doing many involved tweaks, I recently went through my obnoxiously large collection of libraries and dll's and removed many libraries, and restored most of the dll's to default state. Guess what? I have a better experience over-all and less issues.

INDEED!!! "Leave it Alone" works best for me!
dacaveprods

Postby zabukowski » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 am

richie43 wrote:Updates are not so simple when Acustica upgrades Nebula, since all of those dll's will need to be manually updated. But the option is there.

Good news - Nebula Setups 2 dev 2 will introduce "Setups Manager" with option which will (re)create/update all your (tracked) setups. So updating a bunch of setups with a new version of Nebula will no longer be a PITA.

In the future updates (dev 3), there will also be an option to store/edit parameter tweaks as a part of the setup.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

zabukowski wrote:
richie43 wrote:Updates are not so simple when Acustica upgrades Nebula, since all of those dll's will need to be manually updated. But the option is there.

Good news - Nebula Setups 2 dev 2 will introduce "Setups Manager" with option which will (re)create/update all your (tracked) setups. So updating a bunch of setups with a new version of Nebula will no longer be a PITA.

In the future updates (dev 3), there will also be an option to store/edit parameter tweaks as a part of the setup.

Zabukowski

Awesome! This is a major new feature and really makes Nebula Setups complete :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm

That would indeed be awesome Zab!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 am

the thing here is that if you go too low, the low response is going to suffer. you can load presets/programs into vstanalyser and see it. if you lower the length of the h1 kern, and this is with either freqd OR timed mode being used, at a certain point you are going to lose bass. it's 'probably' around the same length that you'd have to have, to have a full bass response, for any program out there. but, i say probably, because i think there are exceptions. but it's usually at least 50ms.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula