Login

AU and VST versions together on Mac ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

AU and VST versions together on Mac ?

Postby martin87spencer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Since working with Nebula 3 Pro for the last few months I've been using it in Logic Pro 9. But some projects come in as ProTools sessions and I've been converting these to Logic sessions - possibly the reverse to what most engineers in the world are doing !!
I know that there are both AU and VST versions available for Mac but is it possible to run these on the same machine ?
I'm thinking of having the VST version wrapped into ProTools and the AU version as usual in Logic.
Is this possible ?
And what about the license for the other version ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Martin
martin87spencer
User Level II
User Level II

Re: AU and VST versions together on Mac ?

Postby tonedeaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm

U can run both... I use both AU and VST 64bits in Reaper...

not sure about wrapping and PT thou...

hope this solve part of ur queries..
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby tonedeaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:22 pm

U can run both... I use both AU and VST 64bits in Reaper...

not sure about wrapping and PT thou...

hope this solve part of ur queries..
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 am

You shouldn't have any problem having AU and VST side by side.

We wrap the VST into Pro Tools. There seem to be several different ways to go about it; I'm not sure if ours is the best but it worked for us and it was easier to keep going down that road then try to find something new. We wrap the VST in Metaplugin (DDMF); Metaplugin is a very stable sub-host for Nebula, I have very few problems with it in any platform. Then we wrap Metaplugin with the VST2RTAS (FXpansion). We started out just wrapping Nebula with VST2RTAS but it was buggy; lots of crashes, usually instigated by instantiating an instance. And worse it wasn't recalling settings (all knobs would come up at absolute minimum value); that was not usable. Metaplugin fixed those problems but introduced a small issue which is that in some cases your automatic SRC inside Nebula will not start correctly and you need to reload the Nebula program (this occurs whenever you load a library directly inside Metaplugin, so that includes opening sessions which already have Nebula instantiated and saved Metaplugin presets; all those instances have to be reloaded [you just hit the RELOAD button in Nebula]; if you start a new Nebula [from INIT program] and load a library it will load correctly). It's a little finicky but it has worked out for us.

There are other VST subhosts out there besides Metaplugin; I'm not exactly sure which ones work better but I think there's one that maybe doesn't have the SRC problem (and is more stable than just wrapping directly with FXP). Metaplugin is pretty cheap, too, which was why I tried it out initially, I figured it was worth a shot for that price. Plus the routing capabilities inside Metaplugin are pretty sweet, you can do a lot of really cool stuff with your plugin chain super quickly (I have occasionally even used it in REAPER where you can route anything anywhere because Metaplugin is even faster). But I don't really recommend trying to just VST2RTAS Nebula, it didn't work well for us (on like 4 different machines, 3 different OS X versions, we tried to find a solution for just that combination).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula