Login

how to set up nebula server lan on mac

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

how to set up nebula server lan on mac

Postby bjj22 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi

Would be grateful if someone could provide simple guide on how to set up nebula server so I can share CPU load between my macs connected directly using ethernet. I've read a few threads on this, eg including about it not being officially supported etc but that some people can get it to work, and also that the implementation is not perfect yet (presumably compared to something like vienna ensemble pro), but I would like to test it out.

My setup:

- "master" - i7 3770k hackintosh running 10.8.4 (seems to be stable), using logic 9.1.8 in 64 bit mode.

- "slave" - have a couple of macbook pros I could link up which have ethernet connection.

- direct connection together using ethernet cable. Does this need to be cat6 or is cat5 enough? (I need to check which I have). I have an ethernet switch which I could use to link up the other mac I have but I haven't tried this yet.

- Nebula 3 pro was installed on both - I have now upgraded to server on both (version 1.3.505 - wasn't clear to me if I should use this or 1.3.502)

- on "master" computer if I load up the nebula server standalone app, and then load a logic project with nebula instances in, it seems to connect and it records cpu / ram usage etc. (I guess this is local server mode). This isn't really an advantage to me as I am not usually limited by RAM, but by CPU.

- however the nebula standalone app on the "slave" macbook pro doesn't seem to have connected. I saw on a thread that I might have to configure an XML file with some ip addresses but I'm not sure how to do this. I'd be grateful for advice about exactly where these files are, on which computer etc, and how to configure them.

Another couple of questions

- do the presets need to be installed on both computers to share resources (I have some 3rd party libraries which are just on 1, not both)
- can I download the server application onto a 3rd mac or does the 2 license rule apply here

- I've noticed that when I use nebula CPU usage remains high after I stop audio playback? Why is this? Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Thanks!!
bjj22
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: how to set up nebula server lan on mac

Postby Vernon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi,

I'm using a "PC to MAC" server setup that (for me) works well.
The master is an I7 950 with Win 7, the slave (server) is a MAC Mini with OS X Server.
I use Reaper and the Nebula versions are:
- 1.3.504 on the master
- 1.3.502 on the slave (MAC) (I've got problems with 1.3.504 so I reverted to 1.3.502)

Libraries are installed on both machines.

Bye, Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:51 am

When you use Nebula3 PRO Server (in LAN mode) you need to add into your vocabulary two new words, client and server.

Slave is server.
Master is client.

Mixing Nebula3 PRO Server non client enable with Nebula3 PRO Server client enable in client computer (master) you will able to load emulation presets in both computers. Enable LAN client feature is easy, edit your master .XML file and add IP and PORT tags in client computer, Nebula server will copy your master setting from client to server after sync, so you don't need to edit master computer .XML just install it and run it before the sequencer.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby bjj22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks for your replies. I still couldn't get it to work. I put the slave/server IP address in the nebula reverb XML file on the client/master. Port is 6000. Nebula server app is loaded on the server machine. But when I try to load nebula reverb version on the client/master, in logic, it doesn't find the server. I get the spinning wheel so it must be looking for something.

Machines are connected by cat6 cable. No firewalls. Tried with version .505 and .502, neither worked.

Maybe it's best to wait until the next version..
bjj22
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 am

Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby bjj22 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 am

Yes, ping worked between both computers using network facility, ~0.2-0.5ms
bjj22
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 am

send or attach both xml files (server and client)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby bjj22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi Giancarlo, have sent you an email, thanks for your help.
bjj22
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula