Login

Is it worth getting a Slave CPU for NEBserver?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Is it worth getting a Slave CPU for NEBserver?

Postby mightymosaic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Ive been doing some reading, and many people are saying its not 100% yet .. Im really close to getting a CPU .. just want to know if it will work properly and is there is proper support.
mightymosaic

Re: Is it worth getting a Slave CPU for NEBserver?

Postby richie43 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Well, according to Enrique and Giancarlo, whom I would trust more than anyone else regarding Nebula (lol, duh...), the server/slave functionality is not officially implemented or supported yet. So that is the long way of saying no. If you want to invest now because you are prepared to and want to get it over with, then go for it. But you will most likely feel disappointed and frustrated because most people are getting their best out of Nebula using it as direct instances, not as a server/slave application. Besides, by the time it is ready, CPU technology will probably be further along and your investment may be out-dated already. There's my opinion, good luck.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 am

works for me :)
sneaky

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 am

The one time I tried it (which iirc was last version but I don't recall exactly) it did actually work and without having to do a lot of fiddling; but it was not useful at all because it actually slowed down my renders significantly (in some cases I would say more than 2x). I've been using Nebula for some years now so lots of bouncing takes place in a typical mix session, it just wasn't a tradeoff that I could justify for more CPU (because it still wouldn't ever be nearly 'enough' CPU to not have to render anything). Considering what has to flow down and then back up that wire I wasn't shocked (I bought Server for Core iii functionality, I was just playing around with the client/server piece) but I personally wouldn't advise anyone to try to work with it in a production environment unless you've tried it and know what to expect.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby mightymosaic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 am

Thx for the replies fellas, I just scored a pretty sweet i7 Off kijiji for a measly 200$ (luck of the draw i guess) not bad for a little experiment .. if it works, it does. if not i have a back up cpu just incase. Ill let yall know the verdict and see if two powerful i7's can be made to run smoothly and efficiently. Im running win 64 on both cpu's and reaper 64

Got to get to it! Wish me luck!
mightymosaic

Postby mightymosaic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 am

ngarjuna wrote:The one time I tried it (which iirc was last version but I don't recall exactly) it did actually work and without having to do a lot of fiddling; but it was not useful at all because it actually slowed down my renders significantly (in some cases I would say more than 2x). I've been using Nebula for some years now so lots of bouncing takes place in a typical mix session, it just wasn't a tradeoff that I could justify for more CPU (because it still wouldn't ever be nearly 'enough' CPU to not have to render anything). Considering what has to flow down and then back up that wire I wasn't shocked (I bought Server for Core iii functionality, I was just playing around with the client/server piece) but I personally wouldn't advise anyone to try to work with it in a production environment unless you've tried it and know what to expect.

Hey ngarjuna were you working in 44.1 or 96?
mightymosaic

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 am

I don't specifically recall which means either 44.1 or 48.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am

Nebula Server is working but not with the performance of the similar product in the market. Giancarlo is researching how compress LAN data in other to improve it.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula