Login

Errors in digital data/Nebula Implications

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Errors in digital data/Nebula Implications

Postby marcus67 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:44 am

So for months I have been trying to figure out what was wrong with my studio. I would make what I thought was a great sounding mix, which I would then take off my computer via cheap usb key then onto my internet computer and sent the tracks via usendit. Long story short, the mixes always sounded like shit, hollow, distorted etc... I was embarrassed when I heard them. I spent months trying to figure out the problem until I heard that a very prominent grammy producer/engineer in my area does not accept stuff via usb key and yousendit etc...that he still deal with fedex to ship cds around the world. For the exact same reason I mentioned, distortion, hollowness etc.

I had the privilege of talking to him for a long time today. I asked him, isn't digital all 1's and 0's? He said it has to do with errors and error corrections. He said usb keys are the worst, and he has had to do many blind tests with producers who come to him with stuff on usb that didn't believe him , and after the test they all agreed that it was quite remarkable.

He also said that in audio, even SATA drives are far from ideal, as errors and error corrections occur a lot, especially on near full drives, and that you are better off with scuzzy drives.

In terms of nebula, is this a concern in terms of how we get these programs off the internet, then onto our SATA drives? Would we be better off ordering them on DVD by mail?

I worry too that the way I got all my nebula presets was via internet onto cheap USB, then onto my SATA that I have bounced around to different SATA drives many times during drives upgrades/swaps etc...and that they could be sounding better. Any thoughts?
marcus67
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Errors in digital data/Nebula Implications

Postby zabukowski » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:53 am

Ok, I'll bite, hehe

Simple test ...

RAR your songs and then copy RAR file on the USB key or other removable media, or send it via YouSendit etc. If something will change at that time, you will not be able to unpack RAR again without CRC error.

What do you think ?

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby marcus67 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 am

so RARing will not tolerate any errors so I know I am getting out exactly what I put in? Is it that simple?

All this confuses me as I thought this would never be an issue in digital.

Thanks
marcus67
User Level I
User Level I

Postby zabukowski » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am

marcus67 wrote:so RARing will not tolerate any errors so I know I am getting out exactly what I put in? Is it that simple?

All this confuses me as I thought this would never be an issue in digital.

Thanks

Yes, it's that simple :)

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby marcus67 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks, I guess it is! I wikipediaed it (the end all and be all of credible sources...I know;-) and though it confirms what you say, it does say that it may leave some undetected error. I trust/hope that these would not be significant. But I now understand why Alex B and Giancarlo always ask to send them RAR files, regardless of how small they are (and I always thought they were just crazy stingy with data size).

Thanks for the learning!
marcus67
User Level I
User Level I

Postby david1103 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:40 pm

it doesn't have to be a .rar , a .zip is fine, they both do error checking.

best utility on a pc for this is free and excellent:

http://www.7-zip.org/

you don't need to buy winrar, just use 7zip and make .zips, they are compatible for everyone to open on all operating systems :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

nebula is not able to open corrupt libraries
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Ericcc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Ah yes! It shouldn't effect Nebula, but the strange thing is this: I've been using Foobar for playing music on my PC via Asio as I thought that was the best PC audioplayer for flac/wav (I try to prevent mp3). Until I found out about cPlay and cMP. cPlay loads entire flac or wav in memory and plays it from there. And, does it sound better? Most definately! Go try for yourself. You should hear more seperation and 3d stage. First I thought it was placebo, but if it is and the music sounds better then I LOVE placebo's :) Much cheaper then more expensive equipment. cPlay is free so it won't hurt to test it yourself. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe it is just the code difference between Foobar and cPlay, but the thing is that cPlay was coded mainly because of the errors mentioned in the OP's post...
Ericcc
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula