Login

Uninstall before upgrade ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Uninstall before upgrade ?

Postby void » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am

Just going to do a version upgrade of 3pro. Is it necessary to uninstall the current version first? Or just install over the top?....
void
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Uninstall before upgrade ?

Postby marcpinol » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:26 pm

I haven't uninstalled previous version and everything is working fine here...
marcpinol
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:25 pm

If you are running an "Upgrade" file there is no need to uninstall, in fact you shouldn't uninstall.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:01 pm

That is all correct, unless you have renamed any of the dll's. I rename my 64bit dll's to match my 32bit versions so when I switch between Reaper 32bit and 64bit, Reaper loads the right Nebula. In this case I need to reinstall my 64bit from scratch, run the upgrade, and rename my dll's. A bit of a hassle, but worth it for the added functionality. But for most people, the smart ones who don't try to push it ( :mrgreen: ) a reinstallation is not necessary.....

I suppose I could just rename the 64bit back to the original name, upgrade, and then rename again..... I just thought of that..... Duh.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:34 pm

That's right, I took for granted what I automatically do and assumed it's done by all. So, let me explain in case you want to do this as well: i create an installation path initially for when I install or upgrade Nebula. It's sort of like headquarters if you will. Then I copy from that whatever I need i.e .dll, etc., and create a new directory where ever I desire. This way I can keep the normalcy of upgrades intact and overwrite and "borrow" from that headquarters whatever I need, whenever.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:04 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:That's right, I took for granted what I automatically do and assumed it's done by all. So, let me explain in case you want to do this as well: i create an installation path initially for when I install or upgrade Nebula. It's sort of like headquarters if you will. Then I copy from that whatever I need i.e .dll, etc., and create a new directory where ever I desire. This way I can keep the normalcy of upgrades intact and overwrite and "borrow" from that headquarters whatever I need, whenever.

That makes sense. I get the same results but I took more steps to get there. I'll have to try that. Thanks!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula