Login

what happened to the TRIM mode available since April?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: what happened to the TRIM mode available since April?

Postby Cupwise » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 pm

giancarlo wrote:yes I'm coding a solution for patching libraries easily in nat. This feature could be available also from the acqua library - nebulaman and similar - in order to make available hidden features to the community. You'll substitute section of crypted programs using plain files, so you could edit them the in differet ways easily

sounds awesome, g
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby yewtreemagic » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Indeed it does - I found using the 'cupwise Blue Cat gain plug-in' gain staging wonderfully creative.

Just one twist of the knob and you can hear just what a preamp is adding without the volume changing 8-)

Looking forward to this enhancement as well g :ugeek:

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby giancarlo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 pm

adding the "patch" button to nat....

patch.jpg
patch.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 944 times
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Cupwise » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:20 pm

this is cool for me because i've been scheming on releasing updates for my tube fm1+2 sets, offering a sub-category with 'alt' versions that use the trim feature instead of old 'drive' control.

i've tested and two different versions can use the same vector, so it could be done in a small update, without over-writing the vectors. thing is, it would be a HUGE pain to do that to an entire set, at least for me because i didn't keep every stage of my work saved. the patch button in nat would make it a lot easier, should make it fairly pain-LESS.

thanks g!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:09 am

yes you should use the "save as" feature in nebula before, than you could patch both versions indipendently
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Cupwise » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:14 pm

yeah, i've been doing that, but using a free program i found called 'grepwin' to mass-edit the xmls before crypting them to n2ps.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby zwatrif » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 am

Could someone please clarify how to set up & use the Blue Cat's free gain vst when working in Nebula - I would appreciate it very much! 

I understand the concept behind it, but I want to make sure that I set it up correctly and that I'm turning the correct knob(s). I know that you Insert one before and one after your Nebula plug, connect the two and click the reverse button. My questions so far is which particular Blue Cat gain do you use? There is a smaller sized stereo gain with 1 slider and then there's a larger sized stereo gain with 2 sliders. Which one do I use? I know how to connect them but which one do I turn the reverse button on? - The one before Nebula or the one after Nebula?

Now that I have it set up correctly, do I adjust the slider on the Blue Cat gain or do I adjust the input on Nebula or both?

Also, I've noticed that since I've been using the new VU meter that was just released and using it's trim function, it seems that I can "more freely" turn up the input on Nebula without clipping. Previous to when I started using the VU meter, it seemed very easy to overload Nebula with just a slight turn of the input knob. Does this make sense?

I appreciate anyone that can help me with this. Please be as detailed as possible. I love detailed explanations!

Thank you.

-Mike
zwatrif
User Level V
User Level V

Postby giancarlo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:56 pm

the FIRST to contact me for testing the new patch.

Prerequisites: nebula 1.3.500 installed and working (trim will work also on previous versions), windows version (trim will work also on mac osx). He should be at least a nebula3 pro user (anyway trim will work also in both nebula2 and nebula3).

Reason: I'll provide him latest version of nat3 or nat3beta (in the case he is a betatester) and the patch file for patching preamps.

email: giancarlo@acusticaudio.com
I'll post here as soon as we have a tester.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Cupwise » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:47 pm

zwatrif wrote: My questions so far is which particular Blue Cat gain do you use? There is a smaller sized stereo gain with 1 slider and then there's a larger sized stereo gain with 2 sliders. Which one do I use?

yeah that is a bit confusing. the problem is bluecat's name scheme/format. the one with 2 sliders is 'stereogain' i think, and that one has a slider for the left, and another for the right channels. the one with one slider is the one i always use, the one slider boosts/cuts BOTH channels together. it's still passing a stereo sound, just controlling both channels at the same time.

zwatrif wrote: I know how to connect them but which one do I turn the reverse button on? - The one before Nebula or the one after Nebula?

i don't think it matters here, but yes this is another confusing case, because that button should light up on both instances and it doesn't. i think if you push it on both it doesn't work correctly. i always do it with the first one i load, but the main thing is that you can see the other instance's slider go up or down, opposite of the one you are adjusting. that tells you if you got it right.

zwatrif wrote:Now that I have it set up correctly, do I adjust the slider on the Blue Cat gain or do I adjust the input on Nebula or both?

you adjust the slider in one instance of blue cat. also consider that if you boost the level before going into nebula, you could get nebula acting badly by sending in a signal hotter than that particular program was made to handle. you will notice a bad sound if this happens. you might keep an eye on nebula's 'over' indicator to see if the signal is going in too hot.

about the VU meter, i don't follow you there.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 pm

giancarlo wrote:email: giancarlo@acusticaudio.com
I'll post here as soon as we have a tester.

i'd jump on this but i'm really busy trying to finish up tubefm4 which i've been working on for too long already.

if nobody else offers to try it within a few days, i might go ahead and email you about it.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula