Login

Working With Nebula in Pro Tools Native 10.3.5

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Working With Nebula in Pro Tools Native 10.3.5

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 am

enriquesilveti wrote:From FXPansion support ( :? )

the VST to RTAS Adapter should work fine on Mac OS X 10.7 & 10.8
However some preset permissions were changed with those OS upgrades.

Can you please try and change the permissions for the folder \"/Library/Application Support\" to Read/Write and then rerun the adapter?

Tried this, in fact it was the first thing I did before I ever wrapped anything (per the installation instructions).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

OK. I'll contact FXPansion support again.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

I think I do have some good news to report, though: Metaplugin seems to be usable. I see what you mean Enrique about the SRC issues; if I'm seeing this correctly it only happens when you open a previously instantiated Metaplugin/Nebula; I didn't have any SRC issues when I was loading programs for the first time. However it seems you can fix that problem by simply reloading the program (the RELOAD button). While this is still a manual intervention it's preferable to and slightly more idiot proof than having to reset all of the controls I think (no more recall sheets, welcome back to 2013!). I can't comment on the stability yet but the UI is a little more responsive in wrapped-Metaplugin than it is just wrapped so that's another potential bonus. And it does indeed deal with the recall problem; the only Nebula setting that doesn't seem to recall properly is, as warned, the SRC.

Yet another bonus: Metaplugin fixed the GUI issue that we were having with CDSoundmaster's VTM-M2 wrapped. I always thought they were restrictive and unnecessary but I'm starting to really despise Pro Tools' super proprietary plugin platforms. This is supposed to be about enabling me to do my work. And these are plugins I use successfully (with no bugginess at all) in other ostensibly less "industry standardized" hosts.

Out of curiosity (maybe as a more long term plan): if I were to spend the time taking the libraries we use regularly through NAT and converting them to 48K there would that be effectively the same as running them live using Nebula's SRC? Are there disadvantages to doing so (other than the time spent)? Without the SRC problem Metaplugin is seeming like a pretty great solution considering how many of our problems it has solved.

Thanks a ton for the suggestion!
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm

ngarjuna wrote:I think I do have some good news to report, though: Metaplugin seems to be usable. I see what you mean Enrique about the SRC issues; if I'm seeing this correctly it only happens when you open a previously instantiated Metaplugin/Nebula; I didn't have any SRC issues when I was loading programs for the first time. However it seems you can fix that problem by simply reloading the program (the RELOAD button). While this is still a manual intervention it's preferable to and slightly more idiot proof than having to reset all of the controls I think (no more recall sheets, welcome back to 2013!). I can't comment on the stability yet but the UI is a little more responsive in wrapped-Metaplugin than it is just wrapped so that's another potential bonus. And it does indeed deal with the recall problem; the only Nebula setting that doesn't seem to recall properly is, as warned, the SRC.

Yet another bonus: Metaplugin fixed the GUI issue that we were having with CDSoundmaster's VTM-M2 wrapped. I always thought they were restrictive and unnecessary but I'm starting to really despise Pro Tools' super proprietary plugin platforms. This is supposed to be about enabling me to do my work. And these are plugins I use successfully (with no bugginess at all) in other ostensibly less "industry standardized" hosts.

Out of curiosity (maybe as a more long term plan): if I were to spend the time taking the libraries we use regularly through NAT and converting them to 48K there would that be effectively the same as running them live using Nebula's SRC? Are there disadvantages to doing so (other than the time spent)? Without the SRC problem Metaplugin is seeming like a pretty great solution considering how many of our problems it has solved.

Thanks a ton for the suggestion!

Sorry for the dumb question, but how are you interfacing Metaplugin with Pro Tools? Thanks in advance.
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

jeffbdavis wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but how are you interfacing Metaplugin with Pro Tools? Thanks in advance.

Using the FXpansion VST2RTAS wrapper.

As was suggested, it is indeed much, MUCH more stable than just wrapping Nebula (I would have thought the opposite from adding yet another layer but Metaplugin through VST2RTAS is a far more stable Nebula host than VST2RTAS by itself). I've had one crash all day and it was right when I was getting started first thing. To give you a comparison, I probably crashed 20-30 times yesterday. If anybody is having issues with RTAS wrapping I would definitely recommend giving Metaplugin a try, it's working great here (with the exception of the previously noted SRC issue).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby cortinaone » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
jeffbdavis wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but how are you interfacing Metaplugin with Pro Tools? Thanks in advance.

As was suggested, it is indeed much, MUCH more stable than just wrapping Nebula (I would have thought the opposite from adding yet another layer but Metaplugin through VST2RTAS is a far more stable Nebula host than VST2RTAS by itself). I've had one crash all day and it was right when I was getting started first thing. To give you a comparison, I probably crashed 20-30 times yesterday. If anybody is having issues with RTAS wrapping I would definitely recommend giving Metaplugin a try, it's working great here (with the exception of the previously noted SRC issue).

Good stuff ngarjuna.
I'm glad you're seeing the benefit too!
Nebula not running well under Pro Tools has been the bain of my existence for so long....
Hopefully a vst to axx solution becomes available again in the near future, and with that, I'm sure we will see a really stable host (fingers crossed) for our nebula program's.
cortinaone
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jeffbdavis » Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 am

ngarjuna wrote:

Ah, cool - thanks! I knew there had to be something I was missing. This sounds like a really nice workaround that has the added bonus of allowing you to wrap AU plugs, too. Thanks for the heads-up! :D

Now, what's the deal with that SRC bug?
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 31, 2013 2:18 am

I had a chance to test the Metaplugin/FXpansion solution on a Snow Leopard machine; it had graphics glitches (the whole plugin face goes blank for a moment then splotches of controls come back) but seemed to otherwise be working okay. Those same glitches appeared in VTM-M2 on that machine so it's more likely a Metaplugin/FXpansion issue than a Nebula one. And Metaplugin has this great alternate UI that I need to dig around in, that might be a workaround. We don't use Nebula on that machine as much because it's old and cranky.

The SRC behavior, I think, comes down to this:
If you load the program via the Nebula program browser the SR will convert correctly.
If you load the program via Metaplugin (either as a saved chain or even re-opening a saved project) then the SR will not convert correctly.

We're using Nebula only for mastering so it's not such a hassle, just have to RELOAD every instance when we open a previously setup project. The whole chain lives inside a single Metaplugin (great for extra plugin slots if that were ever an issue). For the peace of mind this setup was giving me today I can live with that as a tradeoff for a while. I'm still potentially interested in converting the programs that are getting near constant use, it's just one more way to idiot proof the situation. But I only want to do that if it won't otherwise compromise the programs. Have to do some forum digging on that, I recall some threads but not their conclusions.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby cortinaone » Fri May 31, 2013 3:42 am

On Mountain Lion I'm not getting any visual bugs, Ngarjuna.

Edit: spelling
cortinaone
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 am

Please tell me. Which Version of Nebula3 Pro/Pro Server? 492? 502? 505? 505 x64?
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula