Login

NVC Virtual Controller --- VST or VSTi

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: NVC Virtual Controller --- VST or VSTi

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 pm

richie43 wrote:
mrtrip wrote:I'm wondering if it's a simple or a big job to change Nebulas midi behaviour.

:shock:
RJ...... Care to answer that after you revive from fainting....? :lol:

:lol: how I wish I could :!:

Not only being able to set a Receive Channel within each Nebula ... I would really like to see 2 additional CC's added for the Main In/Out faders. That would allow control for individual 'levels' straight from the NVC.

Unless I've missed something SO Basic ... and really hope that'd be the case ... these functions would need 'Acustica' to do it.

As to difficulty ... the Nebula code would determine that, but the code itself is not. The NVC series already 'transmits' on discreet channels.... and I would NOT even try to compare my programming 'skills' to <G>. :oops: I think it may be a 'visionary' effect. To imagine all the possibilities is difficult enough. That 'thinking' alone has added months to my initial time frame. :shock:

May we hear directly from 'Tech' to this ! :)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 26, 2013 9:46 pm

gurth wrote:Please check your mailbox RJ.

Hi gurth ... I'll check again, but no new messages.
:?:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Sun May 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi!
I think it's hard to know what to choose, since I don't know how this thing works in real life.

Logically I would think that it's best to have it as a VST, load it in my insert rack on the audio track I'm working on. And if I remember correctly, one here said that I only have to use one insert slot, and the Nebulas (13 or fewer based on how many the EQ etc would need) are hosted inside the NVC (?).

Personally I think VSTi is kind of confusing regarding a NVC Virtual Controller, since I load my VST-instruments like Omnisphere, RMX, etc and use a MIDI track to use/play those VSTi. AFAIK the MIDI regarding NVC is only connected to how it accesses/controls the parameters in the different Nebulas.

Kind of surprised that so many have voted for a VSTi compared to VST - but perhaps I'm missing a very obvious point???
------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: "so many" - well, after I voted for VST, I saw that there are only 8 votes so far...! I think we need more votes here ;)
------------------------------------------------------

Just some thoughts - as you asked for ;)

PS: I'm on Cubase as you can see from my signature at the bottom.

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 am

dagovitsj wrote:Hi!
I think it's hard to know what to choose, since I don't know how this thing works in real life.

And if I remember correctly, one here said that I only have to use one insert slot, and the Nebulas (13 or fewer based on how many the EQ etc would need) are hosted inside the NVC (?).

Hi dagovitsj,
Let me clear up this question please. The NVC is a single plugin that outputs MIDI data that is calibrated to a library. In this initial release, the NVC-MP is designed for the AITB MAMMOTH EQ. Each module [of which there are 13], corresponds to 13 presets using 13 Nebulas. Each of these modules of the NVC-MP are transmitting on a single channel [1-13].

The Nebula plugins are user loaded into your EFX slots. The NVC does NOT 'house', or contain any Nebulas.

Following the requests, I've opt'd to go the full blown version of this EQ, which allows for Cuts AND Boosts, along with Shelfs, Peaks, and Hi/Low filters.

There is NO requirement to load up all 13 Nebulas. If you only need a band or 2, and maybe the filters .. then you only insert 2 or 3 Nebulas [whatever]. As long as the Nebula is properly MIDI Channel 'isolated', then the corresponding module can talk with and control that Nebula patch. [I may very well do an alternate design that mirrors the hardware operations exactly ... we'll see].

I'm watching the 'POLL' to get some sense of a preferred format.

The VSTi format is usually a pure MIDI device, including instruments, controllers, etc.

However, the VST format can deal with both MIDI and audio.

I don't think one is better than the other in and of itself. The thing I don't have a way of knowing is what 'restrictions' certain DAWs might have. We all know that Reaper can use either format interchangeably with no advantage/disadvantage. But again, this is only from my recent working with Reaper, and the preference I have to keep an entire EFX Chain on a single track.

Some users may have knowledge and need for a much more complex routing situation. As long as they can determine the MIDI routing AND can filter the Channel that a Nebula 'sees', there is no reason that the NVC couldn't control Nebulas spanned across different tracks.

Some 'testers' have mentioned that they would have to purchase a type of '3rd party' support plugin to allow certain formats to work as they would like. This has been mentioned in regard to Ableton.

There are just too many DAW's out there for me to personally test for, and why I'm asking 'those' users to voice their preference.

So ... please VOTE just to supply info. You'd be under no obligations :lol:

Hope I cleared up things ... please ask on any issue.

Thanks!

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi, RJHollins!
Thanks for clearing things up!

The Nebula plugins are user loaded into your EFX slots. The NVC does NOT 'house', or contain any Nebulas.

OK, so if I'm in Cubase, I'm out of luck - in Cubase (for some strange reason?!) there are only 8 inserts. So when you say that the Mammoth EQ requires 13 Nebulas, I can only load 8 - but then there are no inserts left to compressors etc!

Slightly off topic:

Hm, is this restriction one band per Nebula instance locked to the deep structure regarding how Nebula itself is designed - or could it be that Nebula 4(when it is released 1-2 years from now?) have a much more convenient architecture regarding having several EQ bands inside one Nebula instance (like usual algo EQ's)?

I love the sound of Nebula, but it would be so much more convenient to use it like ordinary EQ's with all the bands available in one plugin/instance.

I'm very curious to hear what one of your testers, who uses Cubase, has to say about NVC!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Tue May 28, 2013 1:40 am

dagovitsj wrote:Hi, RJHollins!
Thanks for clearing things up!

OK, so if I'm in Cubase, I'm out of luck - in Cubase (for some strange reason?!) there are only 8 inserts. So when you say that the Mammoth EQ requires 13 Nebulas, I can only load 8 - but then there are no inserts left to compressors etc!

Slightly off topic:

Hm, is this restriction one band per Nebula instance locked to the deep structure regarding how Nebula itself is designed - or could it be that Nebula 4(when it is released 1-2 years from now?) have a much more convenient architecture regarding having several EQ bands inside one Nebula instance (like usual algo EQ's)?

I love the sound of Nebula, but it would be so much more convenient to use it like ordinary EQ's with all the bands available in one plugin/instance.

I'm very curious to hear what one of your testers, who uses Cubase, has to say about NVC!

I don't think it was in this thread but in another one RJ explained that you don't have to instantiate the maximum 13 instances to use it, you can set it up for as many as you want/have slots for *up to 13 if I understood correctly.

RJ: I feel badly for hypothetically starting the conversation about other hosts and then not volunteering but, at the moment, I do not have any non-REAPER setups that aren't active production environments. But should that change I'd be happy to run PT9/Nebula-wrapped through its paces.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 am

ngarjuna wrote:I don't think it was in this thread but in another one RJ explained that you don't have to instantiate the maximum 13 instances to use it, you can set it up for as many as you want/have slots for *up to 13 if I understood correctly.

RJ: I feel badly for hypothetically starting the conversation about other hosts and then not volunteering but, at the moment, I do not have any non-REAPER setups that aren't active production environments. But should that change I'd be happy to run PT9/Nebula-wrapped through its paces.

Hi ngarjuna,

You were on my 'hope list' :) But I definitely understand. And yes, if a PT9 opportunity should arise, that would be yet another system to test.
Still, should there be any thing you see 'on the surface' or something that would be of concern [or heck, something I'm doing right] ... I always appreciate your input! 8-)

As to this first project ... I have tried to push the boundaries on several fronts. Not only testing to see if my own system could handle the idea I had ... but also to expand my programming design & technique.

Because of my own need for many different flavors of controllers, I wanted a core design that I can build these on. I have purposefully delayed a public release to be sure if the fundamental concept was solid and most workable [within certain imposed limits]. Without a doubt, a chain of 13 Nebulas is no slight matter. There are so many fantastic libraries that I want to use with the NVC. The change in workflow ALONG with the change in 'mindset' is too important to the work. But I'm hoping to nail down the fundamentals as best I can.

Looking at the 'Poll numbers', I see that a simple solution may not be available as VST & VSTi are running neckn'neck :o What would have happened if I mentioned that NVC can also run as a 'Stand Alone' app that can be linked via 'virtual midi' into your DAW [yes it can].

During this past time, I've been talking to programming buds about more advanced concepts. I don't fully know what may be possible. We are all waiting on 64bit implementation ... and wishful that MAC would be included.

Every little 'scrap' of info that Members are sharing to me is very helpful. As I try to use any spare time I find to make this 1st release something that everyone will truly enjoy working with, with confidence.

If we can get some very important mod's put into a Nebula update, I will immediately incorporate them.

Thanks everyone ... keep the cards and letters coming!
8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula