Login

NVC Virtual Controller --- VST or VSTi

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

NVC Virtual Controller --- VST or VSTi

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Level 2 Beta-test results are coming in. I am encouraged that NVC-MP is working on DAW's beside Reaper.

We still request improvements to the MIDI implementation within NEBULA to allow a streamlined, simpler routing.

An important question has come up ! Reapers handles MIDI & Audio tracks in a type of 'universal', or 'one size fits all' way. Because Reaper is my test DAW, I have no understanding how other DAW's would be impacted.

Re-thinking all this, I would like to hear from other DAW users what plugin 'format' would make the most sense.

The NVC virtual controller is completely MIDI based in its operation and communication. Audio is handled as a direct 'pass through', with NO processing. {Basically, a direct connect of INPUT to OUTPUT]. To be clear, the NVC has no need for audio directly. The Ins and Outs are there to allow audio to pass through the EFX chain.

This puts the NVC into the area other MIDI generating devices [Virtual Instruments, external keyboards, etc].

My question:

What plug-in format would allow the most straightforward use. VST [audio] or VSTi [instrument].

If I could set up a 'poll' I would ... but please post a preferred choice !

ANY explanation as to WHY would be very much appreciated, as I continue to learn.

Thanks Everyone.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: NVC Virtual Controller --- VST or VSTi

Postby RJHollins » Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 pm

56 views ... and not even a hint. :shock:

Is every body using REAPER ???!!

:lol:

Would a VSTi format be better for Your DAW when it comes to MIDI based 'Virtual Controllers'. ?

Thanks!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Is there a possibility to make both...? :mrgreen:
I am not trying to be difficult, but on one hand, since it is passing midi info and not processing audio, vsti seems like the logical choice. But I was under the impression that not all DAW's are actually created equally, and some of them either don't support vsti or are the best difficult. How's that for opening up the proverbial can of worms?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby gurth » Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 pm

In my opinion vsti and vst will be better, in ableton when you want to route midi you have to open a vsti in a track other than the track where the nebula eq is in, so you have to open 2 tracks, one where the audio is and one for the nvc.

I think it is much better when it is possible to open a vst version of nvc in the same track as where the nebula eq is, but in ableton you have to buy max for live to make this routing possible within one track.

I haven t tried the nvc maybe it can do miracles in routing midi inside a track but I think this will be the story for ableton live.
gurth
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 am

gurth wrote:In my opinion vsti and vst will be better, in ableton when you want to route midi you have to open a vsti in a track other than the track where the nebula eq is in, so you have to open 2 tracks, one where the audio is and one for the nvc.

I think it is much better when it is possible to open a vst version of nvc in the same track as where the nebula eq is, but in ableton you have to buy max for live to make this routing possible within one track.

I haven t tried the nvc maybe it can do miracles in routing midi inside a track but I think this will be the story for ableton live.

Hello gurth,

Thanks for sharing things from the 'land of Ableton'. To be honest, I'm having some difficulty following parts of your description,which would be easy, since I have no knowledge of Ableton, nor its requirements.

I can address the routing ... as to Reaper ...
First, if I could ... I wish I could perform some routing magic. Due to Nebula's current MIDI implementation, we have to use a 'filter' plugin to isolate one Nebula from another.

Nebula is currently set in 'Global MIDI' receive mode. I find no way [internally] to change that. This is an issue I've mentioned to Nebula support. We must be able to set EACH Nebula to a single MIDI channel.
Each beta-tester has remarked on this, and hopefully will follow up on presenting this issue to Our Nebula Staff.

Actually ... I wish that the entire Community here would [politely] request this modification!

To the VST/VSTi question ...

I had a question come up from a Cubase tester. Even though the NVC-MP was successful and communicating with all the Nebulas ... MY question was 'would a VSTi version make more sense' ??

So ... I recompiled a VSTi version. Placed within Reaper, I saw no difference ... worked exactly the same as the VST version. Reaper doesn't seem to care.

YES ... I totally agree about having a SINGLE chain ALL within a Single track! Maybe some of you young guys can mentally handle the myriad of tracks ... but us 'old guys' [or at least ME] want to keep what little sanity we have left ;)

If I only knew how to set up a 'Poll' ... :roll:

I would like to try and keep to a single format [if at all possible].

The other thing I would really like to do is release the DEMO for all the Nebulites ! :mrgreen:

I had hoped for many more comments coming in from various DAW'ers as to what format would be best for them. It doesn't only apply to the MammothEQ ... not everyone owns it. This I can understand.

Even if you have ZERO interest in this project ... that's fine too :o :( But I'd still like to know if one 'flavor' is preferred, either because of routing, work flow, added costs?, whatever.

Beside Reaper, which doesn't care about format ... I'm using the 'LoopBe1' virtual Midi driver [free] that routes the NVC into VSTHost, so that I can test functions, check calibration, etc. ... there are many possibilities.

Maybe this is a busy time of the year ... but I do hope to get some preferred format.

so ...

1. Gurth ... please help me better understand if you kindly would.

2. Write your Congressman or Senator and ask them to 'Support Single MIDI channel assignment within Nebula proper.

3. Tell me you want VST or VSTi [even if you don't] :shock:

4. shut me up with some answers :lol:

Thanks everyone.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 am

Found the Poll settings :mrgreen:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby mrtrip » Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 pm

I think releasing both versions as an option would be best, that way your not limited.

I'm wondering if it's a simple or a big job to change Nebulas midi behaviour.
mrtrip
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm

RJHollins wrote:Found the Poll settings :mrgreen:

Yes you did, and here is a link for others to easily find that poll......
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26509

Goofball.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 pm

mrtrip wrote:I'm wondering if it's a simple or a big job to change Nebulas midi behaviour.

:shock:
RJ...... Care to answer that after you revive from fainting....? :lol:
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby gurth » Sun May 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Please check your mailbox RJ.
gurth
User Level X