Login

nebula Ctrlr virtual controller

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

nebula Ctrlr virtual controller

Postby devilfish » Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm

this weekend i started some tests to use Ctrlr as virtual controller for nebula. Ctrlr is a graphic lua editor to make editors for hardware synths and effects (sysex) but you can send cc's too. it can be run as VST and it remembers settings! here a pic of a quad 550b module i'm working on to use with AITB APQ:

the cool thing is that you can customize panels heavily and it's graphic based so no real programming required. it works like a charm, only frustration i encountered is lack of cpu (i can only run 6 full APQ channels with preamp) if i have more time i'll make more panels for Nebula eq's
devilfish
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: nebula Ctrlr virtual controller

Postby richie43 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 pm

I have been testing a similar project for RJHollins, you should check out these threads.....Maybe PM RJ. It sounds like the 2 of you could be combining efforts, or at least sharing knowledge.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26148&start=40

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26432
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby devilfish » Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm

He Richie, i saw the other threads. unfortunately i'm no programmer so i don't know if i'm gonna be a big help there. Also Ctrlr is crossplatform and works in any host, that was a big plus for me because i'm on osx.
devilfish
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 pm

devilfish wrote:He Richie, i saw the other threads. unfortunately i'm no programmer so i don't know if i'm gonna be a big help there. Also Ctrlr is crossplatform and works in any host, that was a big plus for me because i'm on osx.

You don't need to be a programmer. I just think that you should have a chat with him because the platforms may be different, but the functionality is so similar I think that it would be cooler for this crazy community of Nebula users to see this functionality be more accessible to everyone. And what better way to get something accomplished than to combine efforts?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby devilfish » Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 pm

richie43 wrote:You don't need to be a programmer. I just think that you should have a chat with him because the platforms may be different, but the functionality is so similar I think that it would be cooler for this crazy community of Nebula users to see this functionality be more accessible to everyone. And what better way to get something accomplished than to combine efforts?

pm send :)
devilfish
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWAN » Tue May 21, 2013 4:30 pm

very cool idea to use ctrlr!

Can it be a insert vst - or does it have to be a vst instrument?

If it can be a vst sitting in the channel alongside the A*I Nebulae - that is pretty cool...and if its cross platform you can just use it with mac or pc vst? nice!

I was hoping RJHollins might do a A*I - but here it is...I also have APQ which is cool...

How is it working so far and what DAW are you using? That Quad - is for 4 Nebula instances? But each A*I you have has 4 controllable bands?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby devilfish » Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 pm

SWAN wrote:very cool idea to use ctrlr!

Can it be a insert vst - or does it have to be a vst instrument?

If it can be a vst sitting in the channel alongside the A*I Nebulae - that is pretty cool...and if its cross platform you can just use it with mac or pc vst? nice!

I was hoping RJHollins might do a A*I - but here it is...I also have APQ which is cool...

How is it working so far and what DAW are you using? That Quad - is for 4 Nebula instances? But each A*I you have has 4 controllable bands?

it needs to be inserted as vst instrument on a free instrument channel. the cc's are baked in the panel, in ctrlr you can select midi routing. you still need to midi learn cc's once in your host and save it as templates. i tested this only quick in renoise and reaper because i couldn't figure out midi routing in logic but it works standalone too.

this quad panel is made for 16 nebula instances! 4 per track,1 per band. i planned this out as a drum sub-mixer, to make a basic balance before actual mixing. but maybe i'm gonna make an 8 or 16 track version because with clean programs i can run more channels.

first tests are promising, everything works smooth but i got a bit frustrated with loading times and balancing cpu load (nebula and osx, still no friends :) )

i don't have nebula server so i dunno if the memory share would help (i think so because nebula is running a lot of similar programs). if someone could tell me if it's possible to run 24 channels of this on an atomic windows pc i'd sell a leg, buy that cpu monster and make a full blown console emulation controller in ctrlr with pre's, eq and busses :)
devilfish
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby devilfish » Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 pm

i did some tests this afternoon, i can run about 8 channels of 1 kernel APQ without preamp so i couldn't resist and made an 8 channel version:

it still works ok but i'm hitting ram limits. i moved all nebula programs except APQ to a dummy folder to get a better load time of about 1 minute for 32 1k eq bands. it won't be really usefull for serious projects but it can be fun as a scratchpad 8 track eq. maybe i'm gonna make a CLeq version too 8-)
devilfish
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWAN » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

if you had nebula server the RAM issue would not be so bad...

Can you make a single channel version?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby devilfish » Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 am

SWAN wrote:if you had nebula server the RAM issue would not be so bad...

Can you make a single channel version?

here's a single channel version, peak/shelf button and on/off not included yet:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l6n4z ... le.bpanelz
devilfish
User Level 0
User Level 0

Next

Return to Working with Nebula