Login

can I ask one thing re: input levels...

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

can I ask one thing re: input levels...

Postby Scottf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Still demoing, say I will purchase this week but one question to further my experiments, say using free-compresser program boeing 747,
Ive noticed alot, very little compression with high ratios and low thresholds.....

at first I thought it was metering issues, Ive a semi trimmed bassdrum signal with ratio of about 1:4 and threshold -10 using boeing 747

resulting in db reduction of -1 max, thats fine...

but do you play with input before or after setting the compresser settings..as before you really dont know how much gain is needed only over light, would I be right in thinking you do have to push or trim input on nebula to maximise benefit of programs and before or after say when using compresser programs??

thankyou..
Scottf
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: can I ask one thing re: input levels...

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Compressors in Nebula can be quirky; as well there are some that are just plain kick ass. The compressor you're checking out is quite old iirc; the NAT templates for compressors have come a very long way since then.

I'm not sure if there are any good compressor programs you can actually demo in NebFree (anyone know of one?) but I'd strongly suggest you do some forum surfing here, you can at least get an idea of what some of the issues with compression are. But I wouldn't judge Nebula compressors by the 747 (or probably any of the presets in the Free library as they are likely from the same era).

ETA: To answer your question, I generally first try to get my signal so that it's near nominal (for many Nebula programs this will be -18dBFS) plus or minus depending on how much I want to "drive" the circuit, and then delve into the threshold.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Scottf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for all that information,
It's nice to hear u feel some of the
Free program's aren't up to scratch as
I actually am impressed with just some
Basic one or two I'm using,
therefore if it gets even better, I will be
Nicely happy
cheers
Scottf
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Gemini Audio » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm

You can use the threshold only down to -30dB because of the way compressors are sampled in NAT. So if you don't get enough gain reduction with a threshold of -30dB, you can increase the input in order to get more gain reduction.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Working with Nebula