Login

Is upgrading to Server from Nebula Pro 3 worth it, using OSX

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Is upgrading to Server from Nebula Pro 3 worth it, using

Postby tonedeaf » Mon May 13, 2013 4:24 am

jelmet, 32bit is stable, I didnt experince the crashes, but than again I didnt run it for a longtime.. it was just a trial... also a reason why I run 32bit AU version of nebula just for AITB stuff, the only one i have trouble with registration in 64bits.

it seems 64bit is more stable, and I have like 20 something gig of rams, something I invested in the hope of making Nebula work better.. lol so I feel 64bit is more smoother, I can have more Nebula running before I have to freeze where as 32bits, it seems to run out of steam very very fast.

hope this helps
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby greekpeet » Sun May 19, 2013 5:44 am

Yes and no for me.

.505 crashes Reaper, and Ableton. So no 64 bits VST for me.

.505 32bit VST doesn't even wrap.

Though the previous version does work like a champ for the Server version and the memory sharing is super helpful.

If I could do it again, I'd wait until they get the 64 bit support on Mac sorted.

Had quite a few issues getting it working but Gian was very helpful (as usual) and ended up sticking it out. Since it did get working (sans 64bit) I figured they could use the money to further develop. Though I'm expecting to wait a few more months at least to get 64bits working on the mac (both VST and AU) sorted.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Sun May 19, 2013 5:50 am

tonedeaf wrote:jelmet, 32bit is stable, I didnt experince the crashes, but than again I didnt run it for a longtime.. it was just a trial... also a reason why I run 32bit AU version of nebula just for AITB stuff, the only one i have trouble with registration in 64bits.

it seems 64bit is more stable, and I have like 20 something gig of rams, something I invested in the hope of making Nebula work better.. lol so I feel 64bit is more smoother, I can have more Nebula running before I have to freeze where as 32bits, it seems to run out of steam very very fast.

hope this helps

How did you get the 64bit VST to work on your Mac?
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby tonedeaf » Fri May 31, 2013 3:16 am

greekpeet wrote:
tonedeaf wrote:jelmet, 32bit is stable, I didnt experince the crashes, but than again I didnt run it for a longtime.. it was just a trial... also a reason why I run 32bit AU version of nebula just for AITB stuff, the only one i have trouble with registration in 64bits.

hope this helps

How did you get the 64bit VST to work on your Mac?

Sorry for the late reply was packed down with work...

I upgraded to the Server version, there is a "beta" VST 64bit for OSX in the download section after u log into ur account.

Hope this help :)
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby greekpeet » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm

"Nebula VST no installers 1.3.505 (x86/x64).zip"

No beta for me.

Only one I see there for 64bit, that was mentioned does not work at all (either 32 or 64bit).

Bummer, guess we'll have to wait.
Starting to become very disappointed in upgrading to Server - I personally advise all Mac users to hold off.

Mentioned this a few months ago (at least) .505 doesn't load, work, or wrap.

Also .502 server is VERY crash prone (I get at least 3 crashes ever few hours with working with it). It crashes simply when instantiating it randomly. It crashes jBridge - which none of my other 32 bit wrapped plugins don't exhibit.

Really starting to think, after these few years, I still have yet to be able to utilize this technology on a paid project. So far 90% of my commercial stuff never used Nebula for mixing at all.

This is on the Mac side.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd rather use UAD stuff and get work done even though the sound quality isn't as good. All in all I've spent a few thousand dollars and countless hours with supporting Nebula and the developers.

This could have served me (personally) much better with a more solid platform. I stopped recommending Nebula for my other professional colleagues that use Macs a few years ago.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jeffbdavis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I've been on the fence about upgrading to server for a while. I really need 64bit VST so I can upgrade to Mountain Lion, etc. But, hearing things like this is very discouraging. :(
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby greekpeet » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Also, there is a major issue with a 'fragmentation issue' which will result in a crash after using...

...1.2 GB with the 32bit version.

Thats right, according to Gian, you can NOT use or load more than 1.2 GB of libraries without it crashing.

So performance is actually worse.
Why is this not even being mentioned to users?

Also, I'm a very laid back guy that does not get angry over trivial matters at all. If something makes me angry, its for a good darn reason.

To say I'm pissed is an understatement.

To pay extra and have worse performance with the illusion of it being able to 'share' resources.

I know this is a small company that rolls things their own way, I get that, but this is borderline false advertising.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby andiw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm with you greekpeet. Bought also the server for Mac and cannot use it now. 50€ down the drain ...

It's a shame that we Mac users are treated like that :shock:

There's no development and the attitude from Acustica Audio is like .. :?

The problem is: I absolutely love Nebula! I don't wanna use anything else in my mixes ... :cry:
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:11 am

server version is not ram limited if you open the server app before starting your audio host...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jelmet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:19 am

Sorry to read that...
:/
I think I'll hold upgrading for a while...
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula