Login

mastering with tape

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

mastering with tape

Postby scopus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:36 pm

hey guys never mastered with tape before, where does it usually go in the chain? like before or after eq..

thanks
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Re: mastering with tape

Postby mr.tele » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 pm

If you were mastering to tape, it would be the final step in the chain.
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:40 am

That said tape programs can alter your levels so if you're using a brickwall you may want your tape instance before that.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 am

I was very persnickety about this topic as I morphed into all digital audio from analog, and I could NOT stomach putting anything after a tape preset, that's not what "we do here". I even spent hours trying to make things sound right with my brickwall BEFORE the Nebula tape, and it never sounded right. It suddenly hit me that it SHOULDN'T sound right; I don't remember using a brickwall limiter when I was mastering to tape.... lol. Duh. That's because we didn't use them!! What this all taught me though is that in this miraculous age of digital audio, and Nebula of course, and we can hybridize our work to fit what our ears want. I always suggest for people to start with a tried and true virtual signal path, and then start messing with the sequence of them and see what you like. Have fun exploring your audio!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby scopus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 am

cool thanks guys, so usually at the end of the chain but there can b exceptions, :)
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RJHollins » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 am

If I may ... I could offer alternative thought.

First, the intent of the project and its' sought 'sonic character' considered ...

To that ... where does the actual audio compared to the desired outcome currently stand.

For example.

Destination ... the battered term ... more analogue.

If the majority of the recording has be accomplished by more 'number crunching' than, say, tubes, microphones in real acoustic places, acoustic drums, amps ... rather than sample libraries. Then you may need to consider more than a single 'final print to tape'. You may be asking too much from that.

I have had mastering session that benefited from 2 tape passes. One at the top of the chain and one at the end.

Of course ... what happens in the middle part of the chain is based on what you have as the original source.

You will only know for yourself by asking and experimenting for yourself.

Hope this added to the help 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 am

the battered term ... more analogue

Should be on a T-shirt. It is the age of Aquarius after all..
cpwade

Postby scopus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Sorry guys one more question, finding theres some programs lovee the sound but the effect on the master is too much for some tracks, would it be ok to instead of using as insert, use as fx send and blend to taste? thanks
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RJHollins » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 am

Hi Scopus,

As long as the 'timing' is tight, you could do that ... but I wonder ...

What tape are you using? And, more important, what 'level' are you sending to tape?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby scopus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:10 am

thats thing worried about that timing might be little off but very hard to tell, and dont want to do anything that might be problematic to the master. using various tapes like studder 800, 820a, atr-102, all my mixdowns have at least 5db headroom, I know tape isnt traditional used this way but just wondering if anyone does this with nebula or if theres any reason at all this wouldnt be a good idea? just sometimes wish had more control over the effect , thanks
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Next

Return to Working with Nebula