Login

(nth) attempt to control more Nebula eq bands

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

(nth) attempt to control more Nebula eq bands

Postby Vernon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Dear Nebula guys,

I'm very happy to share with you my last workaround to manage different EQ bands in one plugin.
The work has been done with the Plogue Bidule plugin and the Melda Mequalizer interface.

I made a video because of the large amount of information and in order to be more clear:
Video

For those who want to experiment this solution, I prepared a zip file with instructions:
File

Keep in mind that, for now, this solution was only tested in a Windows systems with 64 bit plugins and the Reaper DAW.

I hope you'll enjoy...

Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Re: (nth) attempt to control more Nebula eq bands

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Interesting approach!

You can also do a similar thing using the FX chain in Sonar, building your own VST GUI controlling several different VST`s in the chain.

I have been waiting for a developer to use a similar approach using several Acqua engines and build a hardware like GUI on top. CPU will be heavy for some libs, but for EQ it might be worth an effort.

Looking forward to read response on this thread :-) Good work!
Arne
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby babiuk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 am

Hi, thanks for this task, it´s something me and a lot of people are so interested.
Anyway, i have to ask you if we must have bidule for being able to use this. Or bidule is not needed for us to have?
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Vernon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 am

babiuk wrote:Hi, thanks for this task, it´s something me and a lot of people are so interested.
Anyway, i have to ask you if we must have bidule for being able to use this. Or bidule is not needed for us to have?

Hi babiuk,
for this task Bidule works as an "intelligent frequency calculator" because we have to remap every range of frequencies related to a single Nebula knob.
Bidule (or any other similar plugin) is necessary to reach the goal.
Of course we could map directly the Mequalizer plugin but the frequency graph will not represent the reality...
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Incredible contribution, Vernon!
Thanks a lot. I have watched the video and this looks very interesting.

1) Will your approach also be possible regarding compressors, using Bidule, Reaper and the free MCompresor (Melda)?

2) Is the "remap every range of frequencies related to a single Nebula knob"-approach also possible in Cubase 6.5.3. or do I have to use Reaper?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Vernon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:34 pm

dagovitsj wrote:1) Will your approach also be possible regarding compressors, using Bidule, Reaper and the free MCompresor (Melda)?

Mmmmmmh, at a first look it's not so simple to implement... Attack and release on the Mcompressor are scaled in different granularities: .001 steps from 0 to 0.1ms; .01 steps from 0.1 to 1ms; .1 steps from 1 to 10ms; 1 steps from 10 to 1000, all with "holes".
Furthermore many Nebula compressors have programs with fixed ratio so we should load all the ratio programs and program a bypass change related to the Mcompressor ratio knob...

If, on the other side, you don't care about exact parameters, probably you can go without Bidule and link directly Mcompressor to Nebula through Reaper parameter modulation.

dagovitsj wrote:2) Is the "remap every range of frequencies related to a single Nebula knob"-approach also possible in Cubase 6.5.3. or do I have to use Reaper?

If Cubase has a "Reaper like" parameter modulation function, yes... But I really don't know ;)

Bye, Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Hmmm, right, the compressor setup seems a little tricky!

I have done a quick search regarding this regarding Cubase, but it seems like the 'parameter modulation'-feature of Reaper is way more powerful than what you can do in Cubase. Unfortunately. But I haven't digged deep to really check if this is possible in Cubase.

Any Cubase users here who know anything about this? I rather stick to one DAW if I can ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby iélou » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks, Vernon. Very good. Is possible using a multiband compressor (like melda ou fabfilter)to manage nebula compressors?
iélou
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby franky4fingers » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Ciao Vernon, as you already know, I was really impressed by your work, so much that I followed you in this. Thanks a lot for sharing!
I feel I owe to share my experimentations too, for anyone of you guys who’s interested, these are some Youtube videos I did on this subject:

- Video Tutorial for getting started (mainly without Bidule plugin): Video
- Some aplications i did using Bidule: Video Playlist (4 videos)

I’m very interested in other people’s works and opinions about this technique (I know this is an old topic, has something different been experimented meanwhile?)

Thank you again for sharing your work, Vernon!

Marco
-----------------------------------------------------
Here are clickable links to some collections of Reaper FXChains I shared as practical examples (Please read “Instructions.txt” file):
- 4 FXChains WITHOUT Bidule :
AlexB_73eQ + Waves Scheps73
AlexB_PoolTeQ + Waves PuigTec EqP1A
AnalogInTheBox_APEq + Waves API550B
Cupwise_Smooth609 + T-Racks Precision Comp/Lim

And these WITH Bidule (here you need Reaper and Bidule plugin both 64bit, I think):
- 3 Console Input Selectors FXChains :
AlexB_VBC, MBC, MTC + Waves NLS
- AnalogInTheBox_APEq + Waves API550B (Bidule version)

franky4fingers
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Working with Nebula