Login

EXTRA geeky question about Nebula and H******* Mixbuss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: EXTRA geeky question about Nebula and H******* Mixbuss

Postby greekpeet » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I've also heard the cries from 'yes we can get all DAWs to null', IF and I mean a big IF you don't use any other plugins with the same pan laws, etc.

I think some of the biggest errors (pun intended) are having plugins that operate at various bit depths and don't compensate this from a engineering standpoint. Not a programer, but a composer with a few miles and minutes with doing this stuff. So I do no know whats going on underneath the hoods of these systems.

Again, my ears tell me otherwise after using Mixbus.

Strongly think from a musical standpoint, that the summing engine in all DAWs sans Mixbus are 'broken'.

I'm not affiliated with the H******* crew in any fashion either.

It sounds better and can get mixes much faster than doing the same stuff in other DAWs.

What Nebula has done for me 'tracking wise' vs. traditional digital plugins, Mixbus has done for me from a mix sense.

Also the support from these guys is unbelievable. Few weekends ago it was acting kinda quirky and not starting the Jack server (was unable to open it after testing another audio unit). Emailed Ben on a Saturday morning at 9am, got a response in less than 90 minutes. We traded emails and found a solution by lunch time.

So far it has been absolutely rock solid on my MacPro thats still running 10.6.8.

Truly enjoy switching hats when switching programs. Much more effective for me personally.

Try it out.

Bring your stems into it and simply start with playback adjusting volume before even touching the other elements, then adjust pans after a few plays through the song, then engage the HP filters, etc.

You'd be surprised how FUN it is.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:21 pm

greekpeet wrote:Now I feel confident in saying this, the 'summing' in other DAWs simply is not as good, or from a musical standpoint "broken". Not a computer programer but my ears tell me otherwise.

While I'm glad you found a host system that meets your needs and desires this statement is wrong and hugely misleading. It's one thing to prefer H*******'s summing; but to suggest that 99% of the professional working world is using dysfunctional tools (because, news flash: hardly anyone uses it) because of that preference is ridiculous.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:52 pm

If you are on the Windows version of MixBuss, it does not support Nebula at all yet. I have emailed the devs and they said maybe in V3, but at this point there is no work-around to my knowledge. Your current system is very similar to how I have adapted to using it.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi!
I'm seeing there is a group buy regarding H******* mixbus at the moment over at Don'tCrack.

How is it regarding Nebula - will it work now, or is there anyone who knows if they are working on implementing support for Nebula on H******* mixbus?

Just curious!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 pm

H******* will only work with 32bit plugins, so you would need to have that installed. The other issue has to do with how many inputs H******* can deal with per plugin (only 2), and Nebula is "hard-coded" as having 4. There is a work-around floating around here on the forum, but i can't for the life of me remember who posted it. I ended up not trying the solution and now hardly use plugins at all for H*******. H******* is cool, but it can never become my main DAW (Reaper is just too good), so I have relegated H******* to be more like a glorified plugin itself. It was not worth it to me to spend any more time trying to fix something when I already have the right tools for me to be very productive. Hopefully someone here will link you to the solution I read..... Good luck.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks richie43!
I believe that perhaps this is the answer?:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1250

It's about deactivating the sidechain feature in Nebula as far as I can understand. But I remember someone posted a solution not long ago, don't know if he pointed to the Nebula tip of the month?

Well, 32 bit plugins seems quite "old" now. I reckon one can get quite good summing using some of the libs from AlexB, CDsoundmaster, Henry etc on groups and the master bus? And workflow as you said, is very important - especially when one gets addicted to the Nebula sound!

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 am

dagovitsj wrote:Thanks richie43!
I believe that perhaps this is the answer?:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1250

It's about deactivating the sidechain feature in Nebula as far as I can understand. But I remember someone posted a solution not long ago, don't know if he pointed to the Nebula tip of the month?

Well, 32 bit plugins seems quite "old" now. I reckon one can get quite good summing using some of the libs from AlexB, CDsoundmaster, Henry etc on groups and the master bus? And workflow as you said, is very important - especially when one gets addicted to the Nebula sound!

Cheers

There are many Nebula presets that should fill your need for ITB "summing", indeed. but to be fair, if you are determined to use MixBuss, it has it's own "summing" algorithms, as well as tape saturation and other analog emulations built-in. And honestly, MixBuss is quite good about these things, which is why I quit worrying about using Nebula in it. but to each their own, I guess. My suggestion is more about using MixBuss in a similar role as Nebula, not Nebula in MixBuss.
And I do believe the tip of the month you linked to is the fix I saw. Give it a try.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:53 am

richie43 wrote:H******* will only work with 32bit plugins, so you would need to have that installed. The other issue has to do with how many inputs H******* can deal with per plugin (only 2), and Nebula is "hard-coded" as having 4. There is a work-around floating around here on the forum, but i can't for the life of me remember who posted it. I ended up not trying the solution and now hardly use plugins at all for H*******. H******* is cool, but it can never become my main DAW (Reaper is just too good), so I have relegated H******* to be more like a glorified plugin itself. It was not worth it to me to spend any more time trying to fix something when I already have the right tools for me to be very productive. Hopefully someone here will link you to the solution I read..... Good luck.

2i/2o issue = solved using legacy channel MAST page tag (they should add VST2.40 4i/2o support ASAP)
x86 issue = Never was an issue Nebula is x86 compatible
VSTGUI = Should be solved from 1.3.602. HM support never replay us about it...
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula