Login

EXTRA geeky question about Nebula and H******* Mixbuss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: EXTRA geeky question about Nebula and H******* Mixbuss

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Richie,

Just following along on the discussion.

Was wondering ... can Mixbuss and REAPER be linked via ReaRoute ?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dwagrimm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 pm

richie43 wrote:
dwagrimm wrote:thanks richie for your answer. I dont want a discussion about differend sounding daw too. thats to count peas on a high level. but my own experience in the past shows me differences are possible. from my last logic (on pc) to sonar is the answer. there was a huge difference. so it´s possible but no law. and your answer shows me the same. H******* push´s an own (sounding) stamp to mixbuss. but the more important point of your answer is, I have to give reaper a deeper chance. thanks.

You should definitely give Reaper a deep chance, in my opinion. But regarding the other stuff, when you compared the "sound" of other DAWs, did you actually take the extra care to make sure that pan laws were indeed the same, and levels were the same, and there were no hidden plugins running? I have made these comparisons with4 different DAW's (demos), and when I actually took the time to make them truly similar, I could not hear a single difference in their so-called summing. The only time I could "hear" any quality difference was when I was also looking and I am guessing that the one with the prettiest GUI at the time was also the one that sounded best only right then! Have you ever had a beautiful looking plugin that you could swear sounded awesome and versatile as you tweaked the parameters, but then discovered that it had been disabled/bypassed, so the only changes you heard were your imagination? I will be honest, I have, and it was a rude awakening to the power of influence a GUI can have....lol

oh yes I know. I´m in the daw production since 23 years now. in the beginning on amiga with bars and pipes professional then atari with octamed to pc and cubase to pc with logic to sonar and studio one...
I was also working some years in the studio-stuff selling business. on the end for a top pro studio developer with top high end. I´ve made there a lot of this experiences what you are talking about. and I know the points and differences. a friend (still user of logic on mac) say the same. the "old logic" sonds not so good but yes I´m shure thats also a problem of the audio-interface. the latest are much better then the old. what ever, i give them a chance now.
the last question of RJ is realy interesting...
dwagrimm
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:45 pm

RJ: I am not sure, actually. I have very little experience with Rearoute. I have never needed it, and when I could, I have been too busy!! Why don't you try it and let us know...... :shock:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:02 am

I don't own mixbus.

I have routed audio from and to others apps this way.

My thought was routing out of Reaper into mixbus
As a type of plugin . Then you could route back into Reaper to print
Just an idea.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 am

Interesting indeed. I will look into that.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:35 am

The obvious solution is a wrapper to fool HMB into thinking it's two input only, in your case Richie. Wrappers and VST racks will be the key workaround at this stage.

The irony here is that you stated that you loved the simplicity yet now you seek to force the platform to conform to imposed complexity. I respect that. I do the same. It is what we do paradoxically.

Best wishes on this journey.
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:50 am

This is mostly an intellectual endeavor at this point, I actually don't nee MixBus to do anything it can't do. This is the geek in me wanting to "make things work", not the musician/engineer trying to get work done! :roll:
But the ironic thing about the wrapper idea is that I did try a chainer, which I had presumed would be a wrapper of sorts, and MixBus saw more than 2 inputs for that as well, so it couldn't use it. Ha! In reality, I am perfectly ok with using MixBus with zero plugins, I can do everything I need in Reaper and use MixBus as a "summing plugin" of sorts. Mostly I am using this as a way to stretch my brain, fire off some new synapses, and learn a little more about this amazing thing we call digital audio. Cheers everyone!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dwagrimm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 pm

you are on the right way richie. if you want to print your own footsteps, you have to leave the footsteps of others. this is the way like before was foundet thinks like chorus, flanger and so on... respect

but hey enrique, still no information about nebula and mixbuss?
dwagrimm
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 pm

dwagrimm wrote:you are on the right way richie. if you want to print your own footsteps, you have to leave the footsteps of others. this is the way like before was foundet thinks like chorus, flanger and so on... respect

but hey enrique, still no information about nebula and mixbuss?

Thanks. I don't need to completely leave the footsteps of others, I like to walk next to or near them, especially the good one's like the Giant Steps ;)
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby greekpeet » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I have been working in Mixbus for the last month or so, and am completely satisfied with using this program as my sole mix platform.

Been working with digital audio for the last 15 years and remember the first DAW I ever got to use was Studio Vision Pro (thought it was a big deal to have 8 audio stereo channels back then for my college projects).

Now I feel confident in saying this, the 'summing' in other DAWs simply is not as good, or from a musical standpoint "broken". Not a computer programer but my ears tell me otherwise.

Still can get good mixes from Logic, Ableton, FL Studio, Cubase, etc, so its not me.

What I like to do is write and complete a song in Ableton (or sometimes Logic or FL Studio dependent on where I'm working), bounce the raw stems as 32bit and reimport them into Ableton.

Then my brain shifts to 'tracking mode' which I use for Nebula and process each stem, reexporing again in say a folder called 'MKI'. I have special audio racks for this purpose.

Bring them into Mixbus and get to work. Its the only program I know that I use (with included effects, comps, eqs, etc) that doesn't "damage" the sound as AlexB would put.

This way works well for me but it would be very nice to be able to use Nebula in this platform - but in no means is a 'deal breaker'. Can get the AU on the mac side to load, but no GUI is present.

Mixbus does sound better and can get mixes together in a much quicker and more musically pleasing way with it than without it.

Its funny to me that DAW developers still haven't implemented proper dithering algorithms in their stuff yet for starters. Even though Ableton's 'mix engine' is 32 bit, I find it more pleasing with putting the Airwindows free dithering plugin at 24 bit on the master out from the very start of any project. I don't bounce the individual tracks with dither enabled since I'll export them as 32bit, but for the odd chance I will do a quick render out of Ableton or whatever it always always always has a 24 bit dither on the masterbus.

A pure Nebula based mixing platform with all of these other things 'fixed' (summing, dithering, etc) would be... Awesome.

Like being able to switch out channel strips, inputs, eqs and comps on the fly.

:mrgreen:

Does anyone have suggestions to getting the GUI to load in Mixbus?
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula