Login

EXTRA geeky question about Nebula and H******* Mixbuss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: EXTRA geeky question about Nebula and H******* Mixbuss

Postby cpwade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 am

Richie, the WIN version is really a new port and I suspect it needs maturity. I could send my prefs it it would help I use core audio aggregate with 24 I/O at 48k no special drivers. HMB prefs are most likely not limited to platform. Honestly, I did not change anything, even buffers are at stock settings.

I'd suggest check your sound routings in preferences. I suspect the problem is there. Did you click a bunch of buttons like in reaper? :mrgreen:
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 am

cpwade wrote:Richie, the WIN version is really a new port and I suspect it needs maturity. I could send my prefs it it would help I use core audio aggregate with 24 I/O at 48k no special drivers. HMB prefs are most likely not limited to platform. Honestly, I did not change anything, even buffers are at stock settings.

I'd suggest check your sound routings in preferences. I suspect the problem is there. Did you click a bunch of buttons like in reaper? :mrgreen:

Believe it or not, i have heard from the devs, and they indeed told me that if the plugins technically have more than 2 inputs, it will not work. I have not clicked a bunch of things, har har har. I have checked and re-checked my audio settings, and the audio card settings should not have anything to do with the actual track/plugin input settings. I would love to see your pref though, just in case I am missing something basic. All i know is that when I load ANY plugin that has 4 or more inputs (basically side-chain ready), it will not load, not even in a stereo track or buss. Send me your prefs though!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Rich,

Ok tomorrow I'll screen shot the preference page. It's bizarre, I know you've reached out to Ben but I'd suggest finding another ASIO WIN user and see what they did. There is a guy out there called seablade, he is a guru. He hangs out on HMB #IRC (find the coordinates in the manual). I know they have coded their own plugs for the windows version, so you should be able to get some real answers there.

The website also states that any 32 bit VST plugin will load on the windows version as well.

I don't know if you have to use Jack on the windows side, but if so, it's quite possible that you have it configured to have 4 channels "ins" piped into one track somehow. Jack can do things rather acrobatically with your routing.. like soundflower.

This indeed shows VST plugin problems reported: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5187777

email H******* at: mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/ ... Manual.pdf

Best of luck.
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Heres the story.. beautiful but fickle girl.
Attachments
Untitled3.tiff
Untitled3.tiff (91.87 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Untitled2.tiff
Untitled2.tiff (66.19 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Untitled.tiff
Untitled.tiff (69.97 KiB) Viewed 535 times
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:17 pm

More..
Attachments
df 4.15.59 AM.tiff
df 4.15.59 AM.tiff (241.97 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Untitled5.tiff
Untitled5.tiff (121.02 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Untitled4.tiff
Untitled4.tiff (223.96 KiB) Viewed 534 times
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 pm

I can't open any of your attachments, for one. I see that they have been viewed many times, but they are dead links over here. Second, I have not found a way to open Jack in Windows. It is indeed in use, but it is not the same as in Linux, which I am familiar with. The Jack option at the top of MixBus in Windows offers only "Disconnect" and "Reconnect" as options. Hmmm..... And according to Ben, right now Windows MixBus can only use plugins with 2 or less inputs.

EDIT
I can see them in a different browser......
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dwagrimm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi Richie, why do you want to use mixbuss? Is mixbuss better sounding (summing) in H******* style or better sounding then reaper? Is reaper not so strong in rendering or summing? I use studio one but I´m so keen what reaper can do. super flexible, customizable and (the most important) solid with a realy good cpu handling. studio one is on the other side a realy good sounding (summing) daw like I know from my work. a good sound is important for me but if the difference is to small I want to switch to reaper. can you share your sound experience with reaper and H*******? independent of nebula. Thanks.
dwagrimm
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:33 pm

dwagrimm wrote:Hi Richie, why do you want to use mixbuss? Is mixbuss better sounding (summing) in H******* style or better sounding then reaper? Is reaper not so strong in rendering or summing? I use studio one but I´m so keen what reaper can do. super flexible, customizable and (the most important) solid with a realy good cpu handling. studio one is on the other side a realy good sounding (summing) daw like I know from my work. a good sound is important for me but if the difference is to small I want to switch to reaper. can you share your sound experience with reaper and H*******? independent of nebula. Thanks.

Are you ready for a long answer? Hope so.....
Without getting into a "DAW Wars" thread, the first thing I'll say is that I still don't believe that ANY DAW is better or worse at "summing" if they are set up the same way (sample-rate, bit-depth, pan law, zero plugins). It's all math, and unless it is coded in such inferior ways, the so-called summing differences are in our imaginations. Reaper is indeed a phenomenal DAW software; unbelievably efficient, customizable, etc etc etc. I can't say enough great things about Reaper and how it (along with the Nebula/Aqua technology) has liberated my 47 year old and formerly all analog ears. My first interest in MixBus started because as I transitioned from analog audio into digital audio a mere short not quite 4 years ago, I also transitioned (a "late bloomer") from land-lines to cell phones, from paper notebooks to notepad text editor, and from "snail mail" to email,Skype, and file-sharing. And when I do something, I jump in..... So I am now an uncertified computer geek (yes I do software testing, troubleshooting, can compile my own linux kernel... I am in deep). So when I saw MixBus on super sale and i's claims to being more "analog" sounding (dangerous words for digital audio) I had to jump.
Now back to the "all DAW's being equal because of math" thing; MixBus isn't on the same playing field because using it as-is, with no plugins, is not a neutral DAW at all, it has it's own unique code, we may as well just consider it having plugins on by default, really. It has it's own built in sound, and because of my analog past, I am very familiar with H******* consoles. They are amazing, always have been, and I can't believe that the H******* company would ever stamp their name on a product that they wouldn't want their legacy attached to unless it was good enough.... So I bought MixBus. Besides, because of my intense linux geekiness, I was interested because the "true" MixBus is based on Ardour, an all-linux/Mac DAW app until MixBus ported it for Windows. So basically, I love what MixBus does in the limited function for my work; I use it like an elaborate plugin, really. I do my creating and mixing in Reaper, using tons of Nebula and a few choice algo plugins, and have always been fine with that. I am experimenting with MixBus using some already finished projects and mixing down to buss mixes and loading that into MixBus where I do minor tweaks with only what is in MixBus. From there it goes back into Reaper to be finished. It's another step in my already heavily convoluted work-flow, but for me, it is still easier than a room-full of real hardware and tape machines. I will be honest, I have friends/peers that are much younger and my work-flow almost kills them if they are in my studio while I am working. But when listening time is going on, every one of those younger engineers are curious about that warm magic that my mixes have. Ha!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dwagrimm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks richie for your answer. I dont want a discussion about differend sounding daw too. thats to count peas on a high level. but my own experience in the past shows me differences are possible. from my last logic (on pc) to sonar is the answer. there was a huge difference. so it´s possible but no law. and your answer shows me the same. H******* push´s an own (sounding) stamp to mixbuss. but the more important point of your answer is, I have to give reaper a deeper chance. thanks.
dwagrimm
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 pm

dwagrimm wrote:thanks richie for your answer. I dont want a discussion about differend sounding daw too. thats to count peas on a high level. but my own experience in the past shows me differences are possible. from my last logic (on pc) to sonar is the answer. there was a huge difference. so it´s possible but no law. and your answer shows me the same. H******* push´s an own (sounding) stamp to mixbuss. but the more important point of your answer is, I have to give reaper a deeper chance. thanks.

You should definitely give Reaper a deep chance, in my opinion. But regarding the other stuff, when you compared the "sound" of other DAWs, did you actually take the extra care to make sure that pan laws were indeed the same, and levels were the same, and there were no hidden plugins running? I have made these comparisons with4 different DAW's (demos), and when I actually took the time to make them truly similar, I could not hear a single difference in their so-called summing. The only time I could "hear" any quality difference was when I was also looking and I am guessing that the one with the prettiest GUI at the time was also the one that sounded best only right then! Have you ever had a beautiful looking plugin that you could swear sounded awesome and versatile as you tweaked the parameters, but then discovered that it had been disabled/bypassed, so the only changes you heard were your imagination? I will be honest, I have, and it was a rude awakening to the power of influence a GUI can have....lol
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula