Login

The interface

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

The interface

Postby darren » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm

I've moaned about this before but I really think it's time to look at giving the interface an overhaul.

This confusion about what mode is active etc etc .. it's just unintuitive.

Simple toggle switches would solve the mode confusion.

I think the interface as a whole could really use a complete rethink to bring it up to par.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Re: The interface

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Well, i think this is not on the first place right now. I used to it and it won't cause any trouble.
Main prerogative is CPU optimization and compressor behavior, imo =)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby darren » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Heres a list of things I'd like to see improved/added:

1) Metering - it's extremely vague
2) Modes - need toggles so that active mode is obvious
3) Numerical entry - use keyboard to enter values
4) Simplify the selection of low/high quality processing
5) Preset library management
6) A modern look/feel such as fabfilter stuff
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Sound and accuracy - check) That's all i need =) On real console or eq or compressor u don't have almost all your stuffs. Metering - yeah, but use your ears first. Modes - nah. Numerical entry - nah, not necessary. Turn knob until you get what u want. Preset library - not necessary. Modern look-feel - nah.
I prefer CPU optimization and comps) Meter will be great too, but i should choose between them - i'll choose first. Nebula does magic with the sound, what else u need?)
Anyway, it's all up to devs.
Melon_Jack

Postby darren » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Well, i think this is not on the first place right now. I used to it and it won't cause any trouble.
Main prerogative is CPU optimization and compressor behavior, imo =)

For me, the interface is highly important. I do agree that CPU burn and accuracy of compression characteristics are also very important issues.
For example, trying to dial in a precise number with a slider is an order of magnitude less efficient than simply clicking on the field and typing in your value. It's all about workflow.

I feel that to, in effect, say 'your problems with the interface are less important than my issues with CPU and compression attack' is somewhat self-centered.
Last edited by darren on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Waiting for revolutionary Nebula 4 =))))
Melon_Jack

Postby darren » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Sound and accuracy - check) That's all i need =) On real console or eq or compressor u don't have almost all your stuffs. Metering - yeah, but use your ears first. Modes - nah. Numerical entry - nah, not necessary. Turn knob until you get what u want. Preset library - not necessary. Modern look-feel - nah.
I prefer CPU optimization and comps) Meter will be great too, but i should choose between them - i'll choose first. Nebula does magic with the sound, what else u need?)
Anyway, it's all up to devs.

Okay let me respond directly to your points;

"Sound and accuracy - check) That's all i need =)"

- yes, the sound and accuracy are why we are interested in the nebula technology. we're all here because of that. Does this mean that Nebula cannot aim to be better in other areas? Are sound quality and usability mutually exclusive properties? No of course they are not. Nebula sounds great - but if we can improve the workflow surely this has to be a plus.

"on real console or eq or compressor u don't have almost all your stuffs"

- I don't see why that is relevant. We're not using a real console or outboard. We're in-the-box and that provides opportunities for a much better workflow.
Should I write down all my nebula settings on a piece of paper and stick it to the wall simply because some of those old consoles could not remember settings? That would be silly.

"Metering - yeah, but use your ears first"

- Using your ears is very important, of course. But having meters that simply don't work is a) a waste of space and b) misleading. Lets have meters that are at least accurate and reliable.

"Modes - nah"

- Why? Maybe you could expand upon why you think the current solution for selecting and displaying modes is perfectly fine for everyone?

"Numerical entry - nah, not necessary - Turn knob until you get what u want"

- Again, why? Directly clicking on a field and typing in a value is an order of magnitude more efficient than waving a fader around / turning a knob to enter values. When we're dealing with the kern page and stuff I want to enter precise values.. not alter the volume of something with a potentiometer.

"Preset library - not necessary"

- Really? There are third party apps that aim to make the preset library more flexible. Clearly this is an area of Nebula whos failings have inspired people to actually author software to mitigate against those problems. Being able to arrange your Nebula libraries in a way that makes sense to the individual would seem to me to be of paramount importance. Drilling through heaps of cryptic names and sub-pages of yet more cryptic names to find the exact tool you want to use is an incredible waste of time.

"Modern look-feel - nah"

- Maybe you prefer your plugins to represent vintage hardware or whatever. But this particular plugin thinks that an old Akai/Kurtzweil module presented the best model for a plugin interface, and you agree? Get real.

"I prefer CPU optimization and comps) Meter will be great too, but i should choose between them - i'll choose first. Nebula does magic with the sound, what else u need?)"

- Again, I never suggested that CPU and compressor model behavior were somehow more or less important than the interface. But I think we can hope for more.
Last edited by darren on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:33 pm

1. Yepp, this has to be a plus =)
2. Doubt it. Working on a real consoles without numerical input and mouse-click-drag-faders is a MUUUCH better workflow) About remember your setting - didn't understand. As far as i know, u can make your presets with NAT or inside nebula save program as..
3. I used to this ) Turning knob is much faster for me than entering numbers n-times.
4.5.6 etc - Nebula was made by little crew (is it so? =))
Imo, all understand not user-friendly interface of nebula. And if it would been so easy then they already did something with it. But..
P.S. I hope you understand) Sometimes my english is veery bad)
Melon_Jack

Postby giancarlo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm

about typing a value: it is not possible and it will never be due to our architecture (it's not the gui, it's about calculation of values)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Melon_Jack » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:45 am

giancarlo wrote:about typing a value: it is not possible and it will never be due to our architecture (it's not the gui, it's about calculation of values)

Giancarlo, donesn't matter. If NO - then NO.
A few days ago i've read about Volterra Series etc and my brain was totally f*cked (i have a math grade from school and university though). If u guys make this real in Sound engineering - u're genius. And all the result of your work that we can see is breakthrough in sound. I bow to you.
Melon_Jack

Next

Return to Working with Nebula