Login

Nebula3 cutting edge? Yes and no!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula3 cutting edge? Yes and no!

Postby richie43 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 am

I am a peaceful guy. Some would even call me borderline "old hippie" (lol). But Mathias, you are much more patient and mellow toned than I feel about the OP's general attitude. Yes, the science is interesting. And of course better audio is a good thing, that's why most of use use Nebula and put up with the work-flow and CPU destroying issues that using Nebula almost always insinuates. But the human ear has limits, some more or less than others. AND most of us only have so much time to research and improve our craft along with actually GETTING SOME MUSIC DONE. So to the OP; if you want people to be willing to hear what you have to say, and I assume that matters or you wouldn't take the time to post such huge posts, I suggest you conduct yourself in a more mature and approachable manner. Your last post really just painted you out to be an angry incorrigible madman. I AM interested in your theories and ideas, but I have no interest in being insulted and "yelled" at. Peace.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Gstell » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks Mathias and richie43. You are absolutely right about the offensive language but I was curious about if people even cared about how we treat each other in this forum after all I did make a real effort supplying you with an honest and fair opinion supplying data accumulated though years worth of work and thousands of dollars spent only to be called a hobbyist (potentially a cranky audiophile as well) by someone I have never met.

I welcome even crave constructive criticism but take great offense to personal attacks not only against my person but also on others.

As for the actual post. It is just an missing piece of the puzzle to this theme, no more no less.

At the risk of looking dishonest I censored my previous post!

As Con Edison said "a failed experiment is a successful experiment"
Gstell
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 am

I agree with the op about filters used upsampling/downsampling, but believe me, it's a little thing compared with approximations introduced by various plugins
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Gstell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi Giancarlo,
By "approximations introduced by various plugins" are you referring to rounding errors of the math in general, or just faulty coded software plugins?
Thanks
Gstell
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

approximations... it's a long story...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby fpoitevin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 am

You know what guys ? I work in 44.1 for music and 48 for video...

I understand people who want to dive deeply below the -100 dB of THD, but I'm an audio engineer (and a real electronic engineer, by the way... I designed digital audio equipments 10 years ago) and my goal is to reveal music. My goal is to help musicians and composer to show their art the best way possible. As I love sound and technology, I've always tried to improve my tools from the mike up to the plugin, trying to understand each time what is the weakest link of my whole chain. The first major change was when I compared a Mackie Onyx converter to an RME converter. At the time, I immediately switched to RME. The last one was two years ago when I discovered Nebula... And so on... Of course I tried to record in 96kHz, but with my setup, I have to say that I didn't hear any difference. One day, maybe, I'll hear that working in 192kHz will change considerably the final result of my recordings. This day I'll switch. I swear. But the funny thing is that, for now, my weakest link is simply the sound of the room I record in...

Using high sample rates is surely better, I don't discuss. But, using 48 kHz allows us to free CPU resource, to use more Nebula instances (instead of less quality plugins) and to go closer to the magic given by mythic hardware like S*L, N**e, Pultec, L*****n...

I choose magic instead of perfection.
fpoitevin
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula