Login

Confused about Nebula Pro and Server

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Confused about Nebula Pro and Server

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:And what about CPU usage? Did Nebula using only "localserver" CPU and RAM from dedicater server? Or CPU on dedicated server is also processes audio?

On local server mode remote server and local client are hosted in the same computer so there is no remote server. On 2 computer setup Nebula Server runs on remote server and load CPU/RAM from each emulation preset loaded from the local client computer. On local client computer you will load Nebula client (Nebula3 PRO Server with LAN support enable) so local client computer will also consume resources.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 am

enriquesilveti wrote:On 2 computer setup Nebula Server runs on remote server and load CPU/RAM from each emulation preset loaded from the local client computer. On local client computer you will load Nebula client (Nebula3 PRO Server with LAN support enable) so local client computer will also consume resources.

So with 2 or 3 computers i will significally improve CPU perfomance because of distributed calculation? Is that so? I've seen posts about distributing RAM resources only, not CPU. That was confusing.
Thanks for reply! =)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Client Nebula can not switch or balance between several remote server but you can do it make an extras .DLL/XML with the correct UDP port and IP settings, you will need one Client Nebula for each remote server. On client = local computer you always need some CPU/RAM resources due your are loading Nebula Client (GUI for example) on the sequencer but not the emulation preset, the emulation preset will be loaded into Nebula Server stand alone application in the remote server computer.
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Oh! I get it. So i need to make dll (AU component in my case) for each server (ex. Nebula_SERVER1, Nebula_SERVER2) to share resources between more than 2 servers. That's great!
And how much Nebula Server (local server) faster than Pro? I'm planning to upgrade from Nebula 3 and don't know, upgrade straight to Server or try Nebula 3 Pro first.
Melon_Jack

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Oh! I get it. So i need to make dll (AU component in my case) for each server (ex. Nebula_SERVER1, Nebula_SERVER2) to share resources between more than 2 servers. That's great!
And how much Nebula Server (local server) faster than Pro? I'm planning to upgrade from Nebula 3 and don't know, upgrade straight to Server or try Nebula 3 Pro first.

Nebula Server Client is not faster but is based CORE3 so share memory if you load several times the same emulation preset. You can not make "alias" in AU only in VST.
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 pm

So in my case i cannot install nebula on more than one server to get more CPU power?(( That's sad..
And difference in CORE2 and CORE3 in sharing memory betwenn several computers? Not CPU optimization? I have a 16gb of memory, and was thinking what my bottleneck is quadcore i7 2.6...
Melon_Jack

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 am

Melon_Jack wrote:So in my case i cannot install nebula on more than one server to get more CPU power?(( That's sad..

You can install Nebula on multiple machines (you get licensing for 2 I believe) and you can share CPU between them (please note: this is unsupported, server is still considered a beta and only localserver [as in: on one machine] is supported at the moment; but it does work) but in my experience it's not worth it at all. On a gigabit copper network it was causing pretty extreme latency as they waited for the data to flow back and forth, it was wicked slow; show stopper. The stuff I rendered did render correctly but I'm it was actually slower than if I had just rendered it on my main machine. The client-server thing is not ready for prime time (or is my copper gigabit totally retro?) and probably should not be the reason you buy Server edition, to be honest; it's for the RAM sharing (see below).

Melon_Jack wrote:And difference in CORE2 and CORE3 in sharing memory betwenn several computers? Not CPU optimization? I have a 16gb of memory, and was thinking what my bottleneck is quadcore i7 2.6...

It shares memory on the localserver machine: if you are using a program more than once (like a tape program or a console line, for example, that you might have instantiated many times over a project) it can access the RAM pool where that program is running multiple times rather than needing to load each instance into RAM separately (which, iirc, is how CORE2 does it).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:08 am

Yeah, RAM, but not CPU. Right?
Oh my, that's so confusing. Anyway, i should try a Server and Pro to say something about it. So lets start with Pro.
*goes to check finances.
Melon_Jack

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 am

Melon_Jack wrote:Yeah, RAM, but not CPU. Right?
Oh my, that's so confusing. Anyway, i should try a Server and Pro to say something about it. So lets start with Pro.
*goes to check finances.

We release Server with new/last version of IPP, version 7, then we update PRO and FREE installer with IPP v7 for all for free. Yes CPU power limit is reached before RAM limit in some cases. Last I7 (8 cores, 1 CPU) + 12/24 GB RAM is a good relationship value of a Nebula ready computer.
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:35 pm

That's a good news!
Now i have latest Macbook Pro with i7 2.6 4cores. I planned to buy PC with 8cores and 16-24gb of RAM for Nebula Server use and just wanna know, is it worth it for Nebula use. The goal is to buy AlexB CLC or R2R BBC Console (veeeryy sweet sound imo) and try to mix in realtime around 36-48 tracks (500ms latency is not critical). Can Nebula Server with this configuration plus my macbook pro with localserver handle this?
Melon_Jack

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula