Login

Is this idea possible for a VST/Reaper that controls Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Is this idea possible for a VST/Reaper that controls Nebula?

Postby david1103 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

I have seen some cool user programs that enable better control of nebula eq, but i have not seen this idea. For me it would be the ultimate, so I wondered if it was possible to code (probably only for reaper, like the other programs, but reaper is best so that would not be a problem!)

OK, so the new APEq has a midrange band with + and - boost/cut and a fixed frequency option. It has frequencies 75,150,180 etc... It has 14 of them.

Of course we can't make a 14 band graphic EQ that uses all frequencies without having 14 instances BUT how about a 14 band graphic EQ interface that can use 1 frequency at a time, and when you move the next band it *resets* the previous!

Imagine an interface something like this:

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=3611 (just the eq bit)

It has all the APEq frequencies instead and 14 of them. It links to nebula. As soon as you move a band up and down it selects THAT frequency band from the one loaded Nebula instance and starts to move that. You can double click to reset, or just move to another band and the previous band resets.

The joy of this would to be able to very quickly and easily check out all the bands at once and make a quick and easy decision!

What do people think?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Is this idea possible for a VST/Reaper that controls Neb

Postby joshuagomez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Check this :mrgreen:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25406

I built two plugins to just control Nebula.They don't any process.

Actually i can crate lots of plugins but i don't have programs that everyone use.
joshuagomez
User Level II
User Level II

Postby david1103 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi joshuagomez, i just read all that thread, I think I understand what you have done with your plugins so far, but what I am really interested in is can you do exactly what I am describing in my post?

Can you make a graphic eq that when you move a band it resets all the other bands so that it controls just one instance of nebula with multiple frequencies but only one frequency at a time?

Maybe it is possible without making a custom GUI and .Dll? I am not advanced at Reaper yet, I can make a program control panel that controls nebula BUT the idea of 14 sliders that are actually only really controlling 1 band is the more complex bit :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby joshuagomez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm

david1103 wrote:Can you make a graphic eq that when you move a band it resets all the other bands so that it controls just one instance of nebula with multiple frequencies but only one frequency at a time?

Fatal Error!

I don't understand. :mrgreen:

Can you explain more and more?
joshuagomez
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 pm

In order to switch patches within a single Nebula instance, I would think this would be done via MIDI, while the user interaction would be linked with 'Parameter Modulation'. [Reaper only].

I've been experimenting with 'SynthMaker' trying to learn how to assemble a 'dummy' VST that would provide a single GUI link to multiple Nebulas. [this has been a slow process :roll: ].

Somewhere there was posted the Nebula MIDI specs ... we need to track this down [any links?]

The concept is definitely cool.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:31 pm

I will try to explain better. I would like to make a graphic EQ control panel for Nebula roughly like the EQ below to control 1 instance of Nebula with a peak EQ program with many fixed frequencies.

The obvious problem is that one instance of Nebula can only have 1 band usable at a time!

My suggestion is to make this graphic EQ control panel VERY CLEVER so that it is useful for only 1 band at a time :)

Let us say we move one slider to begin with, the 500Hz one in the middle. Nebula has 2 parameters we want to control with this graphic EQ, FREQUENCY and GAIN (+/-)

As we select the 500Hz slider the 500Hz FREQUENCY is selected in Nebula,we are now happily controlling its gain... yeah!! :)

Problem :( We can only ever choose 1 FREQUENCY at a time in Nebula, so as soon as we move another slider on the EQ the Nebula settings goes away forever BUT here is my VERY CLEVER solution :)

When we move another EQ slider on our graphic EQ, the slider before returns to 0 so we can see that that setting is gone. Now we can play around all day moving sliders up and down and use the Nebula EQ in a much easier and faster way.

We can still only ever have one FREQUENCY selected BUT its just a much easier and quicker way to operate it.

I hope that made more sense, if not, please ask. Thanks for taking the time to listen to this idea! (sorry so many :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: )
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby joshuagomez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm

I think it's impossible if you want to one Nebula to using 10 bands.Or i didn't understand what you mean. :mrgreen:

Tell me which programs that you want to use.We can talk about it.
joshuagomez
User Level II
User Level II

Postby david1103 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm

joshuagomez wrote:I think it's impossible if you want to one Nebula to using 10 bands.Or i didn't understand what you mean. :mrgreen:

Tell me which programs that you want to use.We can talk about it.

I don't think you have understood me, I don't think I can explain it any better. Does anyone else get what I am talking about?

The program I would like to use for this graphic EQ front-end would be EQ 1 or 2 / Mid Band program from APEq collection:

http://www.analoginthebox.com/product.php?id=2687
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby joshuagomez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm

OK! I'm idiot!

I will try to understand. :roll:
joshuagomez
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I thought I was following you :shock:

The first question I'd ask ... what if you wanted to have any adjusted bands to remain active ?? That would require a separate NEB for each. I don't see any way around that, either. :|

As for the controller VST ... I'm thinking to have 3 controls available. Freq, Gain, Q-factor. Of course, this depends on the particular Neb library.

There are several 'concerning' issues that we need to be mindful of. Memory and CPU resources. :o

I'm planning that each EQ band would have a 'Bypass' that would disengage the specific NEB preset. It stills seems we would have to preload all the required NEB's [saved in FXChain]. The only other possibility may be using MIDI Program Change to actually load a particular preset into a specific Nebula. Again, this would be highly dependent on the way the NEB library was constructed.

I'm not saying HOW to do this ... I'm basically thinking out-loud as to what I'm experimenting with.

Still brainstormin' !
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula