Login

CUDA: is it working?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

CUDA: is it working?

Postby XanomalieX » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 am

Hi!
I bought a GTX650ti to get a few more reverbs working.
But i don't really set more CPU usage free.

I got a session with a lot of Nebula EQs an 2 Nebula Reverbs and I can't open a 3rd.
switching the Reverbs to Cuda maybe reduces the CPU usage 5% (maybe nothing) and I still can't open a 3rd Reverb, but turning the Reverbs off Reduces it 25%.

Is it right that using Cuda isn't the same as turning the plugin off, is there still a lot CPU needed?

Or am i doing something wrong?
I'm working 64bit all the way (win7x64/Cubase7_64/Nebula3_64)
4.0.17 CUDA Toolkit + CudaBridge64 1.1.038
BUT the Cuda 4 drivers don't recognize my card, so I used the new driver an the old cuda 4.0.17 toolkit

When I run TestCuda64.exe it finds the card and says "Device 0 successfully started.", I get no flashing exclamation mark like in the 32 bit version.

can anyone help?
XanomalieX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: CUDA: is it working?

Postby XanomalieX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 am

Ok, I tested a lot with the DSP buffer size and it's great!! The benefit for the Reverbs is just what I was searching for!

BUT
I get the same results increasing the DSP Buffer size on the CPU based Nebula.
The Plugin Percent Meter says Cuda is more effective, but in the Windows task manager it's hard to see ANY difference.
I Expected to find what I'm used from the UAD = the Card is doing the work and nearly no CPU usage at all.

I've bought the Nvidia Card just for using Cuda with Nebula, so i think I'm sending it back...

Or can anyone tell me whats the really impressive feature in using Cuda?
XanomalieX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am

It's been awhile since I've used any CUDA function since I switch to NEBULA Server version [just haven't set CUDA up].

1st, be absolutely certain you are using the 'correct' CUDA version [toolkit] ... I don't think its the latest.

Then, be sure you have NEBULA configured properly. Setting to CUDA [MSTR page?], hit SAVE ... then reload Nebula.

One thing you should notice ... your video card fan will crank up.

The resources ... NEBULA has a 'ghost' feature that tends to not register it's usage. This may be more of a DAW metering question.

Memory wise, I think the video card RAM will house the NEBULA instance.

Sorry can't be more helpful :roll: I need to set mine up again to remember.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby XanomalieX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

thank you very much!
RJHollins wrote:1st, be absolutely certain you are using the 'correct' CUDA version [toolkit] ... I don't think its the latest.

no the newest isn't working with Nebula, the version 4.0.17 is and the "where is my cuda" tool says it works
RJHollins wrote:Then, be sure you have NEBULA configured properly. Setting to CUDA [MSTR page?], hit SAVE ... then reload Nebula.

done that
RJHollins wrote:One thing you should notice ... your video card fan will crank up.

think this depends on the graphic card, mine doesn't even with the highest setting in 3D video games. (that's why i bought this one and not one with even more power)
RJHollins wrote:The resources ... NEBULA has a 'ghost' feature that tends to not register it's usage. This may be more of a DAW metering question.

at DISK i can see the how high the GPU usage is, the Cubase Meter is not reliable, but the win task manager tells me the CPU is still similar used, with or without CUDA.
RJHollins wrote:I need to set mine up again to remember.

why did you quit using CUDA??
The Server Version is the better idea!?!?
XanomalieX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

why did you quit using CUDA??
The Server Version is the better idea!?!?

Actually, hadn't really needed it. My graphics card, GeForce 8600GT 512MB could only handle a few NEB's, and really, using the Server version [on a single machine], along with switching to REAPER with its freeze function, has improved my workflow. The 'Sever' version can share memory [which my current XP-32 bit appreciates]. Although I have 2 multi-tracked projects to mix, Mastering is the focus.

All said, I'm still going to make sure CUDA is ready to go, if ONLY for the reverbs that are coming out. 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jpchartrand » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I have Neb 3 Pro. Can I use CUDA? How do you guys use your graphics card to load Nebula?? I don't get it.

I'm actually not familiar with CUDA and how it works but I'd love to learn. Can someone give a quick rundown on how to get this done?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby XanomalieX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 pm

jpchartrand wrote:I have Neb 3 Pro. Can I use CUDA? How do you guys use your graphics card to load Nebula?? I don't get it.

I'm actually not familiar with CUDA and how it works but I'd love to learn. Can someone give a quick rundown on how to get this done?

You need an Nvidia graphics card
everything else you can read here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=447
and here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44&start=0
XanomalieX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 am

jpchartrand wrote:I have Neb 3 Pro. Can I use CUDA? How do you guys use your graphics card to load Nebula?? I don't get it.

The really quick rundown is: you install a particular CUDA SDK, enable CUDA in Nebula, and it offloads some limited processing to the processor on your graphics card. IIRC it only works on 1 kernel programs (stuff like reverbs), I believe that was the case when I stopped using it (and why I stopped, it wasn't affecting the overwhelming majority of the Nebula programs I use frequently).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 am

Ngarjuna break it down for you.
The concept is pretty simple.You use "your graphic card power" to release "your computer power".So you can use a couple (not a lot) more Nebula instances on top of what you can load with your actual CPU/RAM.

Check this:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44&start=0.

I'm back on it.Follow instructions (above) and you should be good.That's what I did a year ago.
Good luck.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby XanomalieX » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am

Beside from the Nvidia Card, here you find what to do.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=447

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44&start=0
XanomalieX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Return to Working with Nebula