Login

SATURATION

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

SATURATION

Postby young.baws » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi,

I'm a fan of Nebula. Big time. (I have amost all libraries so far)

It's a good tool for my studio.

BUT

the only thing I miss, is the saturation. It would be nice to have a saturation algo in Nebula plugin.

I tested all saturation libraries from Nebula devs, + the G drive. It's quite there yet.

Dont get me wrong, I dont talk about a Huge saturation effect. I'm not talking about a saturation sooo suble that you have to convince yourself that thee is actualy some saturation.

I tested a lot lot lot of saturation plugins, for me the ONLY one is the alec emu from Soundtoys.

Why not update Nebula with a real sat knob?
I'm ready to wait YEARS for an update.
I dont wonna waste my money unto another plug OR hardware.

Any thoughts?
young.baws
User Level III
User Level III

Re: SATURATION

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm

For now, I'm using the console programs with
Airwindows' density and drive.
Also hoping for some saturation algos inside Nebula.
dpclarkson

Postby young.baws » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 pm

dpclarkson wrote:For now, I'm using the console programs with
Airwindows' density and drive.
Also hoping for some saturation algos inside Nebula.

Thank you
young.baws
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 am

but nebula already does this. and it's not from an algorithm, it's actually sampled from the hardware. you said 'subtle saturation' that you can barely tell is there. well nebula samples up to 9 orders of harmonic distortion on top of the fundamental. if you ever looked at a harmonic graph of distortion that's so subtle you can't hardly tell it's there, you would surely see that probably before it even gets to the 8th-9th or 10th order harmonics, they are either below the noise floor, or so quiet you couldn't possibly hear them. so nebula can capture that.

i'm assuming that by 'saturation' you were referring only to the distortion aspect. the slight compression that is often associated with 'saturation' that can happen from over-driving something, when that's kicking in the effect isn't really going to be 'so subtle you can barely hear it' anymore. but- nebula can do that too. at that point the harmonic content might be significant well above those 8th-10th harmonics and that's where nebula can't go. but then you are talking about full on distortion you definitely hear.

here's a freeby i released a while back that i feel definitely does subtle saturation, albeit frequency specific.
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25393
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 am

Full 20 harmonics distortion was anounced Nov 2010:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=744&hilit=unleash

But then was never mentioned again :roll:
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby botus99 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

david1103 wrote:Full 20 harmonics distortion was anounced Nov 2010:

http://acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewto ... it=unleash

But then was never mentioned again :roll:

That was a little OT, but still, how many computers would be able to run that effectively? I welcome the improvement, but I am MORE than happy with Nebula as it is (ESPECIALLY compared to... well anything else). So uhhhh, I'm going back OT!!!

young.baws wrote:It would be nice to have a saturation algo in Nebula plugin.

But... its... not... an... algorithmic plugin :?:

young.baws wrote:Dont get me wrong, I dont talk about a Huge saturation effect. I'm not talking about a saturation sooo suble that you have to convince yourself that thee is actualy some saturation.

I tested all saturation libraries from Nebula devs, + the G drive. It's quite there yet.

So you "don't talk about a Huge saturation effect"
But also, you're "not talking about a saturation sooo suble that you have to convince yourself that thee is actualy some saturation"

So you don't want a HUGE effect, nor a subtle effect. You want something in the middle? I'm sorry, I just don't know if I understand your post because it doesn't make sense to me, as is anyway. Anyway you could clarify?
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby dpclarkson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I would like to have saturation/drive as in
driving a mic preamp really hot, but without
the dreaded 'Nebula-clipping'.
Satson and Airwindows can add some nice drive,
but it takes an extra insert.
Just a little tedious.
Nebula already drives a little bit, but it doesn't
really 'bark' yet.
dpclarkson

Postby young.baws » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 pm

botus99 wrote:Anyway you could clarify?

dpclarkson just nailed it.

Anyway, thanks guys, I'm goin witth Nebula Pres+Airwindows Desk3 :) It really remind me of that feel when I pass my traks to a pre, at med-high levels (like the pre is going out of its "confort zone").

Nebula gives me that "analog sound", and desk3 gives me that "bark".

peace
young.baws
User Level III
User Level III

Postby botus99 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Ah, understood. Not that I speak for anybody else, but my guess is that it WILL be implemented, it's only a matter of time. Right now we can't sample, say, a distortion pedal or a high-gain guitar amplifier. But we all want to! haha

Someday, someday... :mrgreen: Patience is definitely a virtue in this regard!
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Gemini Audio » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:17 am

Check out the new G610 Preamp Library, it will give you a lot of saturation. It has also been sampled with moderate levels.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to Working with Nebula