Login

Nebula with ReaMote instead of Server?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula with ReaMote instead of Server?

Postby woeischris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 am

I've been looking but can't find a definite yes or no on this. It looks like I'm going to be working from a studio that has a Mac but I still have my i7 Windows system that I'd like to use as a server. A typical project uses somewhere around 50 instances but Reaper Server is said to not handle anything near that. Anyone have experience with ReaMote?
woeischris

Re: Nebula with ReaMote instead of Server?

Postby giancarlo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 am

you can't have 50 instances in reamote... imho
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Vernon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I use reamote regurarly. In theory you can instantiate as many plugs as the server pc could manage, in practice you have to deal with a few bugs.
As an example I've tested the reamote functionality with the whole AlexB PCS library (49 preamps) without problems in a I5 Windows 7 server.
Below, a list of issues:

- FX CHAINS: you can only "reamotize" the entire fx chain of a track and not single plugs of the same chain. In my experience not all chains could be remotized, I don't know why, but in several cases Reaper give a message like "Unable to open the plug xxx on reamote server yyy" (note that if you put the single plug in a track, you can reamotize it). This also happens with Nebula: a chain with the same Nebula Reverb plug but different libraries cannot always be remotized.
In this case as a workaround you can split the fx chain on two or more tracks.

- RELOADING REAMOTE PROJECTS: when you save a project Reaper obviously saves also the "reamote position" of each track. Sometimes, after loading a saved project, Reaper reports that is unable to instantiate the plug xxx, yyy, zzz. In this case, you have to re-assign those fx chains to the reamote server.

- AUTOMATIONS: reamote works bad with plugs automation. i.e. automating the plugin bypass simply doesn't works.

- RESOURCES: if you "reamotize" an fx chain, don't expect to save 100% of resources for that chain. In my experience for example Nebula use a lot of CPU of the main pc also in reamote mode.

In conclusion, I suggest to use reamote as an alternative of render stems/freeze function. You can "park" tracks in reamote for listening and revert them in local mode when you edit plugs parameters.

Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby woeischris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:38 pm

A lot of great info there. Thank you! I'm trying to avoid using the studio's Mac for tracking and my Reaper PC for editing, but it looks like that's what I might have to do.
woeischris

Postby musicgreator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Is anyone else using reamote for nebula? I currently use it exclusively. Does anyone else have the playback stop for a moment when a knob is turned in nebula? It seems like, turning a knob changes the latency and Reaper has to recalculate. Does anyone have a solution?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 pm

musicgreator wrote:Is anyone else using reamote for nebula? I currently use it exclusively. Does anyone else have the playback stop for a moment when a knob is turned in nebula? It seems like, turning a knob changes the latency and Reaper has to recalculate. Does anyone have a solution?

Hello musicgreator. Reaper seems to record every Nebula/any plugin knob movement, disable this feature and try again. Ask Reaper support for more information.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula