Login

Nebula EQ presets - linear or minimum or something phase?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula EQ presets - linear or minimum or something phase?

Postby kylen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 am

Ok, I'm afraid I'll just have to take a beating here on this topic... :D

I'm trying to catagorize all of my VST EQ's and then try to tell if I can hear, measure or care, about any differences regarding phase. I don't really know how to test for such things (maybe use CBuddes VST analyzer) and thought it would be easier on myself to just ask and work backwards from there.

So...are Nebula EQ presets going to have linear phase, minimum phase or some other phase relationship happening? IOW The gear that was sampled to get the EQ preset is mostly analog, at least for the 3rd party presets I've purchased. That would mean IIR-ish phase implications in the gear I guess - but what about Nebula Pro and the EQ preset - what is that phase-wise? Same as the gear?

Seems like a basic principle I'm not understanding I think - please educate! Thanks.
kylen

Re: Nebula EQ presets - linear or minimum or something phase

Postby Cupwise » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:26 pm

if the eq was sampled from an analog eq then it's definitely not going to be linear phase. the phase is one of the things that nebula copies from what's being sampled, and it's actually part of the 'sound' of gear, so it's good that it copies that.

i think i remember giancarlo saying somewhere that nebula couldn't sample a linear phase digital eq, but i'm not sure, and i can't understand why it couldn't.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Nebula EQ presets - linear or minimum or something phase

Postby kylen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:54 am

OK, thank you that makes sense.
It's an advanced topic for me at this point, understanding what I have is step one, understanding the analysis tool is another step, actually hearing the difference is my goal. I can't hear the difference right now between pre-ring or post-ring in an EQ. Matbe will pick this up later if I need to. Thanks again!
kylen

Return to Working with Nebula