Login

Nebulatemprepository on SSD or on SATA 7200 rpm?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebulatemprepository on SSD or on SATA 7200 rpm?

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi!
I'm installing all my software on my new Samsung 830 (256 GB) SSD-disk. And my nebulatemprepository is getting bigger and bigger everyday. Ideally I don't want to fill up my C-disk with lots of GB if I can avoid it (want to ghost it for backup etc). And I know I can move my nebulatemprepository to another disk.

But, what I want to know is this:
I reckon the loading time is shorter when I have my nebulatemprepository on SSD-disk. But are there other advantages? In short: Can I run more Nebula instances on my SSD disk than on an ordinary SATA 7200 rpm disk, or is it basically the same?

I have also been working with Nebula Setups, and that seems to be a huge improvement in my setup (and loading times go much faster)!

Comments?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Nebulatemprepository on SSD or on SATA 7200 rpm?

Postby Cupwise » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:31 am

it wouldn't help you with instances. by the way, the 830 is a great choice of ssd and i'm really happy with mine. anyway, what i would recommend is this- you don't have to have all of your programs in the same place. there's info in the forums about how to have multiple directories for your programs. if you have lots of libraries, it's really, REALLY something you should look into. you can set up nebula so that it only loads whatever libraries/programs you want it to. so what you could do, for example, is leave programs you DON'T use very often on your HDD, and put the ones you really like to use a lot on your SSD. then you can have a copy of the nebula plugin that only loads the ones you use commonly, off of the ssd, and another for the ones you rarely use. the benefit is that stuff will load faster. you should also check out zabukowski's nebula setups program. it helps set this stuff up so you can create multiple nebulas, with each only loading a sub-set of your total collection. it makes nebula's load time a lot faster because it doesn't scan everything in your collection. and if you have a copy of nebula set up to only load programs off of your ssd, it loads very fast, and when you pick a program, that loads fast also. i hope this made some kind of sense because i've had a few beers. :D

if you need more specific info just ask and i'm sure someone will help.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Nebulatemprepository on SSD or on SATA 7200 rpm?

Postby dagovitsj » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi, Cupwise!
He, he - you made me laugh with your comment "i hope this made some kind of sense because i've had a few beers."! That's the spirit in this good forum in a nut shell, even after some beers - people are always willing to help,I like that ;)

Yep, I think I grasped your main point. I've been looking into making different Nebulas (compressors, reverbs etc) with Zabukowskis excellent tool. But you have a very good point regarding choosing the progr I choose the most, and place them on the SSD-disk, and the others on my second drive. I'm going to build a template in Cubase, so this is a very good suggestion - only a few chosen Nebulas on SSD will load faster, definitely.

I'll check about how I manage to set this up with multiple directories for my programs.

Thanks again ;)

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to Working with Nebula