Login

Tape in Nebula - How do you use it?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Tape in Nebula - How do you use it?

Postby schismatic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of queries about using Tape programs in Nebula.

At the moment, I don't understand what I'm doing with tape programs At the crux of this perhaps is that I don't really understand enough about tape in the first place. Could somebody please give me a layman's guide to the following questions:

1. How does tape typically fit into the signal chain if replicating analog chains?

2. Why do we use tape? What are the usual benefits?

3. I don't understand IPS, other than it represents the speed of the tape. Can somebody explain the relationship between different speeds and the characteristics they bring out in sound? e.g. I never know whether I should use "30 ips, heavy", or "7.5ips, light" - I don't understand what each one might mean and which situations I should use them in

4.How do we apply tape in terms of the 2-buss, general busses and individual tracks?

I understand there are lots of good libraries out there, (so I'm not after recommendations of R2R thanks! :D ) - let's focus on the general things we need to know about tape.

Lots of questions I know, but you guys are the experts! :D
schismatic
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Tape in Nebula - How do you use it?

Postby botus99 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:53 am

1. Read this thread to clarify the wheres/whys regarding a Nebula signal chain
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24658&hilit=chain

2. LOTS of reasons! A pleasing EQ curve, saturation, compression, "glue" factor, transient shaping, etc...

3. Think of IPS (inches per second) like an analog version of a sample rate. At 7.5ips, you'll lose a lot of high-end and it is just not as accurate (but sometimes it adds punch or other pleasing effects, unlike a low sample rate that can't add ANYTHING pleasing IMO).

At 30ips, you're putting the same amount of information you would on 7.5/15ips tape on a much larger surface area. This is equivalent to a higher sample rate having more digital 1's and 0's per second to provide a more accurate representation of the recorded audio.

4. 2mix - 30ips, busses 15ips, tracks 15ips (7.5ips is only used as an effect for me personally)

That's just MY workflow though. Try things, read more, and LISTEN. You'll get a better grasp
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby dpclarkson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am

I love the use of tape programs in Nebula!
They're the icing on the cake 99% of the
time for me.
I get most use out of the R2R Studer 15ips
programs.
It took a while to get familiar with the curves
and harmonics, but things changed a lot after
experimenting with input levels.
Other than that, my workflow is pretty much the
same as botus99 described in the above post.
dpclarkson

Postby schismatic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Guys, thanks for the explanation, perfect. Much appreciated :)
schismatic
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Working with Nebula