Login

Divide the Nebula Servers

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Divide the Nebula Servers

Postby vicnestE » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:15 am

I have too much nebula libraries.
So when I use server edition, I should make a lot of
NebulaServerWin64.exe & NebulaServerWin64.xml alternatives for different alternative directories.

I plan to divide them by 3rd party developers names.

I also enjoy the possibility of modified program rate and timed kernel length. But it seems I the server dominate the settings of MAST. So I have to run alternative settings on different exe and port.
I cannot have several clients connect to one server with various prog rate and kernel length settings, right??

So now I have about 8 servers for different developers name. If I want to add 5 different MAST settings for each server, I have 40 servers exe running at the same time. I assume about 20 servers running in real mixing case.

I can accept 40 dlls for choices since reaper offers fluid FX browse window.
But is there a more elegant way to create servers for my needs??

If clients could dominate MAST settings on PROGRATE and Kernel length for one server, 8 servers are acceptable.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Re: Divide the Nebula Servers

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:52 am

Yes, there is an amazingly simple way to do this, and you don't need to move any of your libraries at all! Zabukowski's "Nebula Set-Ups" program, and it's free!!

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=43

I have over 30 specialized nebula instances, and my work-flow is so much faster now.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Richie,

One of these daze, we gonna try to pry the names and category list from you :lol:

I'm getting closer to making the changes ... soon after finishing up a couple projects.

I STILL need to do the latest server upgrade that 'G' released [had something to do with expiration date or something] ... just didn't want to do that until projects completed.

One prevailing question stands out ... as a fellow 'Reaperite', I use the many fx chains that were so graciously posted. My guess is that we'd still leave 1 Nebula instance that accesses the entire library, so all the FX chains would still work as before ?!?! Then we would need to create new chains that call the categorized version.

Anyway ... since I've not put much thought into 'best way' to organize, it'd be very helpful to see how everyone is approaching this ... maybe a new thread ? :)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am

As long as you have a standard neb dll in your vst directory, all of your old projects will load. But after I saw how fast they load when each specified instance is only scanning for whatever it was set up to scan, I actually have "re-nebulaized" some of my old projects with these newly made dll's. The difference in load speed is NOT small, it is a huge difference. Regarding fx chains, I don't even use those older chains someone posted for Reaper (Mercado, I think) anymore. I can load whatever I want, and it is now just a little slower than a normal vst. And I am curious; what names and category list.......? :ugeek:
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 am

richie43 wrote:Yes, there is an amazingly simple way to do this, and you don't need to move any of your libraries at all! Zabukowski's "Nebula Set-Ups" program, and it's free!!

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=43

I have over 30 specialized nebula instances, and my work-flow is so much faster now.

You meant the client, but I meant the server.
Only the server utilizes memory share and has the fastest loading speed, right??
And that's why I upgrade to server edition.

With the ROM method from Nebula Set-Ups, I wrote additional server address and port, and the menu is right.

But these programs cannot be loaded.

With no clear document, it seems the server has some limitation:
1) Many clients to one type of MAST settings server is typical
2) Too much nebula programs in one server still has plenty of loading time for starting each new instance of client.
3) Client program rate and kernel length specified on client nebula.xml is bypassed due to server.xml dominates the settings.

Any ideas except don't use server edition??
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am

To my knowledge, the best performance from Nebula is using the server edition but as a normal nebula instance. It is the engine in this edition that shares memory and loads faster. Using Nebula server as a local server will actually give you worse performance than just running the dll straight in your DAW. I can't cite the thread, but I distinctly remember Giancarlo explaing this. And when asked why did he release a "server" edition if we are to be using it like a regular Nebula, he said that while using it as a true server (on server and slave computers) is not ready or supported yet, the technology can be released anyway since it is a superior product as-is. So I am recommending to you to NOT even start up the "server" unless you are running more than 1 machine, and even then it may be buggy.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 am

Use the Nebula Set-ups to create multiple dll's, I guess you call them clients.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 am

@vicnestE

Do you have two computers connected via LAN or just one computer?
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby vicnestE » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 am

I'm ok to pay the upgrade to support further development of the great product.

But I bought it because Giancarlo kindly explained personally to me that the sample rate conversion will be faster for duplicated nebula instances.

Any other happy local server customers with loads of libraries could share their experiences.

By the way, I use one PC only since it's powerful enough already, but server edition is so attractive.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 am

vicnestE wrote:I'm ok to pay the upgrade to support further development of the great product.

But I bought it because Giancarlo kindly explained personally to me that the sample rate conversion will be faster for duplicated nebula instances.

Any other happy local server customers with loads of libraries could share their experiences.

By the way, I use one PC only since it's powerful enough already, but server edition is so attractive.

The samplerate conversion IS faster for duplicated instances, that is what i said. You didn't pay for future development, you paid for a superior product. I am a happy customer with LOADS and LOADS of libraries and my greatest experience is with many specialized instances created with the Nebula Set-ups program. And the shared RAM because I have the server version.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula