Login

gain staging using neb in reaper

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: gain staging using neb in reaper

Postby Vernon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 am

xyxxjx wrote:@Vern Does normalizing degrade the audio in anyway?

Normalizing is only a constant volume change of the item processed, so no audio degradation...
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby xyxxjx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 am

david1103 wrote:this is the plugin for you!

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/stereoc ... me-records

there are 32/64 bit versions and its totally free :D

only use the stereo version, its set to default to 18dbFS = 0dbVU

just make it the first insert on your channel and adjust the big volume knob on the right until the needle is averaging around 0 on the dB meter... job done!

is it fair to say that the first instance of the meter would act like a trim control? Also why can't I use the mono meter? is it not just a matter of setting the normal level at minus 18?
xyxxjx
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby david1103 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 pm

xyxxjx wrote:is it fair to say that the first instance of the meter would act like a trim control? Also why can't I use the mono meter? is it not just a matter of setting the normal level at minus 18?

you only need one instance per track in the first insert or directly after the VSTi, this is your VU and trim control. ** note make sure to set the VU meter to show OUTPUT. otherwise you will not see the action of the volume knob and enter a world of confusion!

i just had a memory (maybe incorrect) that the mono channel version was different with EQ functions and various complications. there is no reason not to use it other than the stereo version is perfect and you can use it on mono tracks anyway.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula