Login

Windows 8

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Windows 8

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:12 am

Just curious about a few things regarding the just released Windows 8:
Has there been any testing with Nebula and Windows 8?
Will there need to be new authorizations for Nebula (and any of the copy protected libraries) if a person does the Windows 7 to 8 upgrade instead of a fresh install?
I am not going to upgrade my main DAW anytime soon, that would be foolish. But I have 2 other sub-DAW's, both running Windows 7, that I would be willing to experiment with right away if I know in advance that Nebula and libraries won't be a huge headache. If all goes well, I would then consider bringing the main rig into the new OS. Thanks!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Re: Windows 8

Postby giancarlo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 am

I tested it using a beta and it was working...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 am

giancarlo wrote:I tested it using a beta and it was working...

"Working"..... without need to reauthorize? Everything worked? Did you do a fresh install or upgrade?
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby steve36 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Hey Richie...I Installed a second version of win7 Pro (x64) (on a partition on my laptops' "C:" drive),upgraded that to Win8 Pro (x64),Installed Reaper (x64),copied my nebulatemprepository and acustica audio folder, and then reinstalled my nebula3 server upgrade. Everything works great...I did not have to re-authorize.

Steve
steve36
User Level II
User Level II

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 pm

steve36 wrote:Hey Richie...I Installed a second version of win7 Pro (x64) (on a partition on my laptops' "C:" drive),upgraded that to Win8 Pro (x64),Installed Reaper (x64),copied my nebulatemprepository and acustica audio folder, and then reinstalled my nebula3 server upgrade. Everything works great...I did not have to re-authorize.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Maybe I will take the plunge, at least on one of the back-up DAW's...... Another Reaper user, awesome!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:29 am

are there any benefits to win8 over win7 for audio stuff?
it looks to me like it's just about adding gadgets and doodads like touch screen and other stuff.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:51 am

Yes, Windows 8 looks like a waste of time, i see no reason to upgrade.

Win 7 ultimate 64bit is amazing, i skipped Vista totally and it's much better than XP i used for all those years.

My next OS will be Linux i am certain, Reaper is slowly being ported to native Linux, now Steam have announced Ubuntu will be used for gaming i think more and more people will start to jump the windows ship.

Nebula on the Raspberry Pi please! :)
david1103
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 am

david1103 wrote:Yes, Windows 8 looks like a waste of time, i see no reason to upgrade.

Win 7 ultimate 64bit is amazing, i skipped Vista totally and it's much better than XP i used for all those years.

My next OS will be Linux i am certain, Reaper is slowly being ported to native Linux, now Steam have announced Ubuntu will be used for gaming i think more and more people will start to jump the windows ship.

Nebula on the Raspberry Pi please! :)

In reality, Reaper is not really being ported to linux, so don't get too hopeful. Reaper seems best on Windows, and I don't see any reason for Cockos to put the energy into linux. I tried linux many different times for audio, and in my experience, it is not ready anyway. I love my linux for non-audio stuff, but I am perfectly happy with reaper-Windows-Nebula as-is.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 am

ive been planning on checking out linux for a long time, thinking it could maybe help me with developing stuff. i haven't been able to find the spare time though (i still haven't found time to work on getting my vsts to work in reaper yet, richie ;) )
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 am

Cupwise wrote:ive been planning on checking out linux for a long time, thinking it could maybe help me with developing stuff. i haven't been able to find the spare time though (i still haven't found time to work on getting my vsts to work in reaper yet, richie ;) )

Linux has taught me a ton about computers and OS's in general (I can compile my own kernel now! Woot-woot), but much of what I have learned in linux has been also related to patience and perseverance. And regarding linux and audio, I learned that if I have the willpower to make linux and audio play well together every day, I could probably also swim across the ocean or flap my arms and actually fly. I have now decided that I do love to use linux for most of my computing (like now- any computer in my house besides my main DAW is dual-boot), my audio time is for making audio. Windows 7-Reaper-Nebula has been rock solid for me for over 3 years. So selfishly I actually hope that Acustica and Cockos stay away from linux, that would take them away from making advancements on MY PLATFORMS!!
Cupwise, tell me again what is going on with your Reaper-VST issue. PM or email me if you don't want to derail this. I am so surprised that anyone could have any long-lasting issue with Reaper, it has been unusually solid for me.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula