Login

real preamp

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

real preamp

Postby garyk_123 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello Nebulistas,

I'm planning to upgrade my converters and pres. As I use a bunch of different Neb pres for coloring after tracking, it makes sense to go clean on the pre.

My question is, do you think it would be best to go ultra clean a la Grace m101 or add a little color a la Daking Mic Pre One DAV BG1 or F*******e ISA One? Budget is up to about £600 GBP.

Thanks!
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Re: real preamp

Postby SWAN » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm

I think in reality all those Pres you mentioned are pretty clean and the difference will not be too big...

If you wanted a nice warm Pre Id consider the Warm Audio WA12...

http://recording-microphones.co.uk/Onli ... WA12.shtml

Whilst what you say is logical - personally Id still go with the WA12. The guy who designed it really knows his stuff. Whilst Nebula is an awesome ITB tool - applying Nebula to a clean track - and recording with a nice Pre - are different things...thats what Ive been lead to understand anyways...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby garyk_123 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey Swan,

Thanks for that. Food for thought. I had ruled out the Golden Age and the new Warm but I'll think again. I definitely like the price!
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby yewtreemagic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm

I'd personally go for the Grace, for optimum transparency, and then add flavour afterwards if required, but then everyone's different ;)

Having said that the Warm Audio preamp is most intriguing - and that price! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby garyk_123 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey Martin,

I've decided to come clean..I mean go clean! I was tempted by the Grace but decided to go F*******e ISA One Digital. I must admit I've been been a bit put off the Grace by all the sterile claims. Especially as 'they' say it's better for instrument than vocals. Actually I think it's all a bit splitting hairs so I'm basically going for the cheaper option! The money I save will ease the pain of a Benchmark DAC1 as well. And it' not like the F*******e is a compromise.

Maybe I'll pick up a Warm next year?

Gary
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am

Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby garyk_123 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:37 pm

For anyone who's interested I've spent some time researching DACs and it seems that there are some very good options in the hi fi/audiophile market. They're considerably cheaper too. Have a look around - you'll be surprised at the choice. I'm going to audition the Cambridge Audio DACMagic plus - it's £350! Highly regarded on Gearslutz by people who know more than me. The Cambridge seems a good choice in that it has Asio drivers, asynchronous usb, headphone outs (for 0 latency hardware monitoring) and XLR analogue outs.

I'm no expert in converters - I reached the mid range and have owned the likes of of RME, Lynx, Apogee, Sound Devices and so forth. So I don't know how much better Lavry, Weiss, Prism etc might be. What I do understand however, is that you're not going to hear their benefits without even more expensive monitors and room treatment. The Cambridge will be just fine for mixing if it matches the RME level stuff!
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby yewtreemagic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi gary!

I went through a similar process in wanting to upgrade my DAC, but since I had the luxury of being able to get three models on loan for audition purposes as well as a Lynx Audio soundcard, and then write up my findings for Sound On Sound magazine, you may be interested in the results (especially since my 3 choices were an Apogee MiniDAC, Benchmark DAC1, and the Lavry DA10 ;) )

Here's the feature in question:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09/a ... erters.htm

Hope it helps!

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby garyk_123 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Martin,

I think I remember that article when you wrote it...

Moving on up in gear is a game of diminishing returns as you say, and I'm really quite tempted just to forget it all and get an RME ADI-2. I can after all, happily mix on one and the masters seem to come back well. In the context of this forum, any Nebula library makes much more difference than conversion at this level.

I owe it to myself to audition the big boys when I go down to buy the RME or Cambridge Audio. It's the only way to really know. But I do wonder if they will impress me enough to make it hard to pull the trigger on the RME?

btw do you still have the Lavry?

regs

Gary
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby yewtreemagic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 am

garyk_123 wrote:btw do you still have the Lavry?

Yes indeedy - I don't anticipate upgrading that in the foreseeable future :mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Return to Working with Nebula