Login

Master Chain with nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Master Chain with nebula?

Postby tbentley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Is this a ideal chain to use in mastering?

Tube ---> Tape ---> TB+ ---> VTMM2 ---> GMC ---> GMD ---> Limiter
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Master Chain with nebula?

Postby richie43 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Based on my long history with analog recording, if you want to recreate an analog signal path, I would do;
Tube (optional)-->GMC (inputs, eq's outputs)-->GMD-->Tape-->TB+-->VTM2

I never use a limiter anymore, I want my music to breathe. But again, if you are striving for signal path accuracy and still want to use one, your limiter would go after your compressor, before tapes. When I tried the limiter there though, it really doesn't serve it's intended purpose since you still have a good chance of clipping after that, so it was redundant. And when I learned to mix/master with no limiter, and retrained my ears (and learned to turn up the volume if I wanted it louder!) the music has so much more dynamics. But I am not doing music that needs to compete with the current very loud pop music. When I do, I throw all of that to the wind and set up a chain that works for the particular style, disregarding the "realism" factor. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying "try different chains, depending on what your sound and philosophical goal is, and use whatever signal chain that makes the music sound right to your ears".
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby CoolColJ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:58 pm

No such thing as ideal, just use whatever sounds good.

bypass the process, frequntly, and if the original sounds better at the same volume, go back to the drawing board :)

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you have to
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Exactly.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby tbentley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:16 pm

thanks.

One more question, do you guys know a tube library that is good for mastering purposes.
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:18 pm

tbentley you can't go wrong with starting with Michael's (CDSM's) tube collection! Quite a palette there...
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby tbentley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks for your help i got two question.

1. In the preamp libary by alex b. When do you use mic inputs vs line input.

2. When should you use tube on channel vs tape. Or should you use bothon a channel.
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 pm

I'll answer on a technical basis and an aesthetic one:

1a. Technically speaking, at the juncture that we use Nebula we are already "in the box" so in that regards, we are past the mic preamplification stage. Therefore our signals - as a part of our virtual chain - want to see line inputs.
1b. Aesthetically, so what? ;) The mic inputs are just as well another viable source of color and character. And further, in the case we are dealing with recorded tracks from perhaps subpar pre's (another question of perspective taste), then the mic inputs from these conosole collections can be very handy indeed.
2a. Technically speaking, there is no rule for using tape or tube. If you want to follow a virtual path perhaps tube -> tape, for example.
2b. Aesthetically, there is no rule for using tape or tube. Your ears and your (or clients) sonic goals are what dictate your decision here, nothing more.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:I'll answer on a technical basis and an aesthetic one:

1a. Technically speaking, at the juncture that we use Nebula we are already "in the box" so in that regards, we are past the mic preamplification stage. Therefore our signals - as a part of our virtual chain - want to see line inputs.
1b. Aesthetically, so what? ;) The mic inputs are just as well another viable source of color and character. And further, in the case we are dealing with recorded tracks from perhaps subpar pre's (another question of perspective taste), then the mic inputs from these conosole collections can be very handy indeed.
2a. Technically speaking, there is no rule for using tape or tube. If you want to follow a virtual path perhaps tube -> tape, for example.
2b. Aesthetically, there is no rule for using tape or tube. Your ears and your (or clients) sonic goals are what dictate your decision here, nothing more.

Beautifully put. Does this forum "sticky" posts?
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby tbentley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:I'll answer on a technical basis and an aesthetic one:

Thank you for the info.
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to Working with Nebula