Login

Thank you

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Thank you

Postby exrovite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:22 am

Just needed to come and say a real big thank you to the nebula team and the 3rd party developers.

A few years ago I bought a drawmer tubestation but I stopped using it because I thought the compressor on it did not sound nice at all.

What I did not realise was that I was comparing it to the VST compressors I was used to hearing. Having never used realhardware comps prior to that. My reference points were the vst comps I had which came with my Daw.

After using Nebula comps especially in the latest upgrades, I noticed they did not sound like my vst comps either in fact they sounded quite close to my drawmer in the way the comp reacted to the dynamics in the sound.

I decided to spend some days retraining myself to get the sounds I wnted in my head using combinations of nebula comps and eqs. I noticed that my lows started to sound real low but still detailed in a way I was never able to create. I could heare it on professional CD's but could never get the sound.

I decided to try my old drawmer with some Nebula EQ's and I achieved very nice resaults indeed.

So it almost as if using Nebula has sensitized me to qualities in sound almost like a training process that is now helping me use my hardware better.

Did not mean to write for this long. Just wanted to say thank you.
exrovite
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Thank you

Postby cpwade » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:51 am

Love hearing these kinds discoveries.

kudos and congratulations!
cpwade

Postby faun2500 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:02 am

There is something about nebula libraries isn't there? :P
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby exrovite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 am

Yes there is.
I was just playing around this morning to see if i could get that illusive effected but seemingly dry R&B sort of sound this morning. and i mannaged to get this. (Please no critics about production quality as I was just really playing.
I was able to get the kick smacking my chest and was able to place the piano right at the back and put the vocals in a sweet frequency without any edgyness or annoying artifacts I am so used to grtting from VST or other cheap hard ware EQ's.
Thanks again chaps
Attachments
jes.wav
(8.16 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
exrovite
User Level II
User Level II

Postby exrovite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 am

Forgot to mentioon that the only FX used was nebula (with the only exception of Waves deesser on the vocals).
And I know the vox sound overcompress as I was pushing to see how far I could go.
exrovite
User Level II
User Level II

Postby exrovite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 pm

same track with widdening(courtesy of sonitusfx phase plug) and Nebula VBeq to bring out the highs. makes the Nebular plate verbs sound a bit more roomey.
Pls don't laugh I know the vox need a bit work I sang them with my morning waking up voice
Attachments
same track a bit of widdening and VBeq to bring out the highs.wav
(7.35 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
exrovite
User Level II
User Level II

Postby joshnur » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:46 am

exrovite, you're totally right in approaching your music like you did with an open mind and reframing things, re-calibrating your ears so to speak.

I recently read that younger people who have lived with DAWs all the time would prefer digital sounding gear. Arguably if you've lived and loved vinyls in the late 70's and 80's, your perspective would be different.

Two other things to take into account nowadays are:
1. The huge number of people not hearing proper mixes and properly mastered songs because of lossy compression in popular sound formats like mp3

2. The unfortunate loudness wars which make everything sound too loud and tiring, losing the dynamics and sometimes the emotions of songs. Bob Katz wrote a lot about this.
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby faun2500 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 am

Got to agree with all of that!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to Working with Nebula