Login

Is this possible?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Is this possible?

Postby Definity » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Well from my limited understanding of how Nebula works im not sure if this is possible but I will try my best to explain:

I was thinking about how my computer can handle like 50+ instances of Nebula now so I was thinking on how to get more accurate sounding things E.G consoles, distortion,tape...etc So I was wondering if you could sample the THD in 10 or so separate stages so you have your sub, low, low mid, low high, mid low, mid mid, mid high, high low, high mid, high high.

So overall you get 10 instances of Nebula with 10 kernels each doing 100 kernels, would this make the sound more accurate? for tape/distortion or anything?
Definity

Re: Is this possible?

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 pm

No possible due the interaction between non lineal distortion and spectrum frequencies.

18.2. Non lineal distortion and inter modulation distortion

Transfer function and also known as the system function or network function is a mathematical representation, in terms of spatial or temporal frequency of the relation between the input and output. If the relationship or ratio 1:1 no distortion is present. Distortion is the alteration of the original shape or characteristic waveform or signal and is usually unwanted. Non linear distortion is a term used in fields such as electronics, audio and telecommunications to describe the phenomenon of a non-linear relationship between the input and output signals that happens. when nonlinear distortion is applied to a superposition of two signals at different frequencies causes the circuit to act as a frequency mixer, creating inter modulation distortion. These phenomena occur constantly in the analog domain.

The easiest way to explain how it behaves nonlinear distortion is as follows: we have two simple sinusoidal signals, F1 of 1000 Hz and F2 of 1200 Hz. If we introduce F1 in an equipment with nonlinear distortion, the harmonics generated will be at 2000 Hz, 3000 Hz, and so on. If we introduce F2 on the same equipment with the same nonlinear distortion, harmonics generated will be at 2400 Hz, 3600 Hz, and so on. Then if we mix those signal we will have two pure sinusoidal signals and the harmonics of each one. But if we first mix F1 with F2 and then send to the same equipment with the nonlinear distortion the result will be different, will appear an harmonic frequency of F2-F1 that is called modulation distortion.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula