Login

Lend me your ears - Mixer+Tubehead vs Nebula

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Lend me your ears - Mixer+Tubehead vs Nebula

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

This is a bit like an apples and orange comparison, but I don't really care which is better or worse, I'm just interested in what you guys like better

One clip is a softsynth gone through a plugin chain and then through Nebula 3 Free on the master bus with a demo of ReeltoReal's tube preamp with some drive

The other one is the same, but Nebula is bypassed, and the audio goes out to my Speck Xtramix line mixer, into a Paia Tubehead, back into the mixer and then back into the DAW

http://www.mediafire.com/?ncdvb5qxrrxmx
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Lend me your ears - Mixer+Tubehead vs Nebula

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 pm

yes completly different .

But i prefer the roundness of b , but I am listening through laptop speakers!

Interesting post.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Sorry to say but...

The files are way too different, they are even different lengths/time. Why is that?

I would record the synth part dry, then duplicate is and send them trough your different chains. More fair I think.

Make sure the files are at least the same length so we can line them up in a audio editor to A/B

Just some ideas. :)
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:53 pm

They're different because I played both in real time, and off course they go through 2 different signal paths :D

The RMS of both are the same, but you can tell exhibt A is more compressed sounding, and has more bottom end, feels louder and a more jagged top end. But I actually prefer Exhibt B in this case

Well I won't keep you guessing anymore....Exhibt B is.....drumroll.... Nebula :P

When I first tried that Nebula tube preamp capture of that old tape deck, it sounded very tubey to me. Definitely coloured. That "shiny" tube tone.

But the Paia Tubehead is even more coloured when driven hard, which it is in this case, due to the high gain from the Speck Xtramix - hard to figure out the signal strength on this weird mixer....
The Xtramix really warms up the sound, smooths out the top end and adds bottom end to anything I run through it, and you think that with two times through it, would be doubly so, but no the Tubehead adds so much harmonics to the signal that sometimes things sound a lot brighter through it.... not exactly what you call warm in this particular case... :geek:
Acts like an exciter sometimes. It's just a cheap self made device, and running on very old tubes.
Last edited by CoolColJ on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby faun2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm

That would explain why the timings different then! lol. :)

Fair play for playing it in, sounded good.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:09 am

Another experiement :ugeek:

All in the box sounds and plugins - see if it can sound "analog"

Softsynths with VST delay and reverb, running into Nebula sampled N**e preamp on every channel, T******h compressors, and then a Nebula sampled Revox analog tape machine

Does it sound "analog"? You be the judge 8-)

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/groovey-wah-nebula
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby jelmet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:24 pm

I didn't read the comments but I didn't feel much of a tone difference, but they're not playing the same thing... it's hard to compare like this.
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby faun2500 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:25 am

should of read the comments!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:35 am

Pretty big difference to me, but I know what to listen for :)

Not the same performance, but still the same sound.

The real valves compress the sound quite a bit, llike analog tape, which brings out the airy sound in this clip

Haven't had much luck getting Nebula to do the same
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby CoolColJ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:07 pm

I did a little test - processed at 24 bit 96khtz, resampled back down to 16 bit 44.1, before mp3ing at 320kbps

1) original SE Code 8 analog synth with CS80 filter multimode test, straight into audio interface. Raw and unprocessed. It's pretty warm and tapey sounding as is

2) Same with Nebula Nag 30 ips tape + tape booster low saturation and VTM-M2 tape compression

3) Same but with TFT Pro demo console programs inserted in the channel and master bus

Like to hear some comments on which you liked best and why etc 8-)

Quick download - no countdowns or code entry!
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Next

Return to Working with Nebula